Gartner Predicts Android Tablets Will Stay Second to iPad for Next Five Years

patfactorx

Reaction score
There was a prediction 4 years ago that iOS would dominate the mobile space and we know what happened with that one.

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
5 years?? How much were they paid to say that? You can't tell trends like this with a luxury product that is still fairly new (iOS on tablets have only been about a year, Andy only a couple of months [I don't count Samsung Galaxy Tabs because they aren't running 3.0, which all new Andy tabs will be running]). There's still going to be a lot of catch up from Andy, but I don't you can accurately predict what the race is going to be like in 5 years.

MoeDaddy

Reaction score
This is just a trending forcast and they will update and refresh it as data changes, sure these things are never right but they are fun and interesting to read and follow...

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
...but they are cheap enough that they are an impulse buy.

That's a good point, but I'm not sure that really applies to the average person. Most people don't have $500 in disposable income for such an "impulse buy". Of course, that has never stopped Americans and their credit cards.

Just very hard to imagine these outselling PC's, which lower end laptops and mid-tier desktops are available at the same price point (and cheaper). Not to mention corporations make up a good chunk of PC buyers and I don't see them jumping into this significantly, at least not for awhile.

You could also argue PC's have been selling 100M+ for years, and not something people need to replace every year while there's virtually no installed base for tablets.

Now the new Intel mobile chips will supposedly enable dual-booting, and that would be something. If MS ever gets their act together I imagine they could retain most of their installed PC base as that eventually shifts to tablets.