The Tablet Wars are Heating Up - MWC Android Tablet Compilation

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
bLE0Kl.jpg
LG Optimus Pad ( G-Slate) pictured by Phandroid

One of our staff at AndroidTablets.net posted a great compilation article sharing pics and videos from around the web of the various Tablets show-cased at MWC. It looks like the iPad will have a ton of competition this year. It also looks like we will actually have some interesting alternatives to the slightly over-priced Motorola Xoom. Nice work xaueious!

It is Mobile World Congress 2011 in Barcelona. Some of the biggest players have revealed their prototypes and launches of their upcoming Android tablets. LG is making quite a splash with their Optimus Pad offering. Since we are not there ourselves, the least we could do is bring you the new offers that are there. You can key us in on what we are missing by replying.

There was no shortage of Nvidia Tegra 2 units running or preparing to run Android 3.0 Honeycomb. There was, however, the new Huawei S7 Slim launching with Android 2.2 at around $300USD that is worthy of note. It also will come with wifi, 3G, and a capacitive touchscreen. We have been discussing it for a while in our Huawei tablet forums.

Acer Iconia Tab 10.1" Prototype
Acer Iconia A500 is a 10 Inch Beaut [MWC] [VIDEO] | Android Phone Fans
Acer Iconia Tab A500 Hands-On [MWC] | Android Central

Acer Iconia 7" Prototype
Acer Iconia 7 Inch Tablet: A Sizable Honeycomb Offering [MWC] [VIDEO] | Android Phone Fans

Adobe Flash 10.2 for Android
Adobe says Flash 10.2 coming to handsets soon, offers roundabout confirmation of Honeycomb for smartphones -- Engadget

Huawei S7 Slim 7"
Huawei IDEOS X3, IDEOS S7 Slim, Made Official at MWC | Android Phone Fans
Huawei S7 tablet first hands-on -- Engadget

LG Optimus Pad (T-Mobile G-Slate) 10.1"
LG Optimus Pad (G-Slate) First Look at MWC [Video] | Android Phone Fans
LG Optimus Pad hands-on | Android Central
T-Mobile G-Slate hands-on: yep, it's an LG Optimus Pad -- Engadget
Non-MWC but related:
LG Optimus Pad priced at €999 in Germany -- Engadget

Motorola Xoom 10.1"
Motorola Atrix, XOOM at MWC [VIDEO] | Android Phone Fans
Motorola Xoom coming to Europe beginning of Q2, brings 3G and WiFi-only options | Android Central
Motorola Xoom gets Q2 European launch, WiFi-only and silver models now extra official -- Engadget

Netflix for Android
Netflix for Android Previewed on LG Revolution, Quick Look at Qualcomm’s Next-Gen Multi-Core CPU [MWC] [Video] | Android Phone Fans

Samsung Galaxy S Wifi 5"
Samsung Galaxy S WiFi 5.0 looks like a new Android PMP -- Engadget
Samsung Galaxy S WiFi is the Smartphone Minus the Phone | Android Phone Fans

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 10.1"
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 Hands-On and First Impressions [Video] | Android Phone Fans
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 official: Tegra 2, Honeycomb, dual cameras (hands-on with video) -- Engadget

YouTube 3D app
LG Optimus 3D features YouTube 3D app for multi-dimensional sharing -- Engadget

ZTE Light, Light 2 Prototypes 7" and 10"
This has been available since last year, but is slowly making its way into international markets.
ZTE Looking to Break Into High-end in 2011 With Smartphone, Tablet, & STB Selection [MWC] | Android Phone Fans

sources:
AndroidTablets.net
AndroidCentral
Phandroid
Engadget

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
I really like Acer's offerings in the Tablet wars. If they are on par in pricing, have open bootloaders, and can pull of an anti-Samsung with software updates, then I think they will be the clear Android winner. A lot of IFs, but if they can pull those off, I think they clearly have the most diverse/interesting tablet offerings.

I've been a fan of their laptops in recent years, but that is no indicator that they can pull this off. Honestly, I doubt they will. But I'm hoping!

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
I doubt they will either. Hopefully one of these companies will stop smoking whatever it is that they're all smoking and price their tablet reasonably.

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
I doubt they will either. Hopefully one of these companies will stop smoking whatever it is that they're all smoking and price their tablet reasonably.

Well, not all of them are smoking anything on the pricing. Some are very reasonable (such as the GTablet by Viewsonic that was a 10" Tegra2 tablet purchasable in October/November last year at ~$400!). But they all just have to pick at least one of the important things and royally screw them up. Motorola has something up their arse when it comes to the bootloader (and price for now but I see them becoming competitive, although on the upper end of it, around Q3). HTC wants to make things feel cheap/plasticky and launch their flaghship phone with a single-core CPU. Samsung can't support their products' software. LG makes almost-awesome products but never follows through on them. I wish they would just take the best of all of the various product manufacturers and just do it right and charge me an extra $100. I'd be VERY happy with that (and I doubt it would cost them an extra $100 to do it).

We'll see how these, and other, manufacturers do with Tablets over the next few months. Again, I'm hoping for Acer to do it right but given the trend, I'm sure they'll screw something up too.

GeXX

Reaction score
Enough telling us about these great tablets, time to start selling.... It's getting really REALLY old hearing about dualcore tegra 2 tablets running honeycomb, but yet when I go to the store all I see is this resistive touchscreen POS...

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
Enough telling us about these great tablets, time to start selling.... It's getting really REALLY old hearing about dualcore tegra 2 tablets running honeycomb, but yet when I go to the store all I see is this resistive touchscreen POS...

If you feel this way, why don't you have a GTablet? It's been available for months and is very affordable.

GeXX

Reaction score

If you feel this way, why don't you have a GTablet? It's been available for months and is very affordable.

2 reasons
1. bad reviews
2. no 3g built in.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Personally I don't want a tablet that's not Honeycomb. So the ones that are out right now are pointless to me, affordable or not.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Diordna

Reaction score
I think I'm just going to get the Archos 101 instead of any of these. Best choice :)

(including price size and features)

Can't wait to get netflix! I know they said it will only come pre-installed of devices that pass security for it, but there will always be a way with you guys ;]

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org

2 reasons
1. bad reviews
2. no 3g built in.

1. The bad reviews are because of the software. If you get a gtablet, you need to be rooting it and installing a new ROM. If you don't want to do that, then this is not the tablet for you.
2. This could very well be a deal-breaker for you. Whatever tablet I end up getting with be tethered to my phone rather than being an add'l $20+/mo money drain on me. But that's just me - I completely understand if this is a deal-breaker for you.