Newbie here in need of advice!!

BoomerBud

Reaction score
I’m not sure what is below “newbie” but that’s me! WHERE’S THE ON BUTTON!! LOL.
Seriously, with my droid 2 and my current knowledge or lack thereof; what are some do’s and don’t’s that I should be aware of.
My Son Nate, who is a computer wiz kid (not a kid 28); when I asked him about what “rooting was” he responded “leave it alone Dad!!”
What are other things I need to be aware of.
I like “bells and whistles” in just about everything that is why I like the droid 2 so much……….with that said; I can get myself into deep du-du if I am not careful.
Any help would be greatly appreciated…..:blink:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I’m not sure what is below “newbie” but that’s me! WHERE’S THE ON BUTTON!! LOL.
Seriously, with my droid 2 and my current knowledge or lack thereof; what are some do’s and don’t’s that I should be aware of.
My Son Nate, who is a computer wiz kid (not a kid 28); when I asked him about what “rooting was” he responded “leave it alone Dad!!”
What are other things I need to be aware of.
I like “bells and whistles” in just about everything that is why I like the droid 2 so much……….with that said; I can get myself into deep du-du if I am not careful.
Any help would be greatly appreciated…..:blink:

Well, I'm 58 so you don't have to be young to get the D2. Still it can be quite a learning curve no doubt.

What kind of bells and whistles are you looking for? Apps? I can recommend a few of those for you like Screebl, Barcode Scanner, Beautiful Widgets, for a game Home Run Battle 3D is nice and addicting.

If you want to really get into rooting I can help you there, but I'd like to see you get some basics before you move on from stock.

Is there anything specific you need help with?

Waratilla

Reaction score
I could use some help too Hook if you dont mind, i got the droid 2 like last month and my one friend helped me unroot it and put a new rom on it. But he didnt really explain a lot to do. So if i try to attempt to put a new rom on it, it could be fatal for my phone ha. I just wanna be able to customize my own phone, i know so little about customization and any help would be very much appreciated

Tillyswilly

Reaction score
click on the link in my sig. below he explains it very well on rooting and installing different things on your droid my advice is read read and when your done read some more I think I read about a week straight b4 I installed anything on my phone the hack section has a lot of what you are looking for...we can show you what to do step by step but its better if you read and learn and if you dont understand then ask about that.....thats the best way to go about it IMO but :welcome: to the droid as well lol

Waratilla

Reaction score
i was wondering how to unroot, ive looked on the forums, but i wanted to update my droid and i wanted to go back to stock and start from scratch but i have yet to see a good topic on it that is at least up to date. I wanna start from scratch basically i just dont know how to get to scratch

OP
BoomerBud

BoomerBud

Reaction score
Hi Hook,
Thanks for getting back to me so quick, I am very new to the “forum” thing as well; very impressed.
Well, here’s my situation; I like the games (especially puzzle games) and such, but I have to stay on the more practical side.
I am a disabled veteran with a few challenges; one of which is remembering things. I was heavily dependent on Outlooks notes, easy to sync calendar, and contacts. I was using the Palm Treo Pro which had a way that synced with Outlook. So I used the notes, and calendar for appointments for my medical needs (meds, mental health appointments, etc.)
I have completely dumped “Outlook” and have gone straight Google. I have read too many nightmares of people trying various 3rd party apps to sync to their droid 2 to their Outlook. With my mental and psychological condition I didn’t want the headaches and worries that something might have fallen through the cracks.
So, what I have seen, there seems to be a million and one apps for anything I might need.
Calendar: I have to know that my calendar will sync every time with my Google calendar.
Notes: Syncing the notes aren’t a big concern; but easily accessing the “note” app and knowing that the note is always there for me to accessing at a moment’s notice is a big concern. This is very important for my psychological & psychiatry appointments.
Sorry for the “book”; I didn’t know how to condense what I needed to say.
So, Hook, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

OP
BoomerBud

BoomerBud

Reaction score
I have already received some great feedback; one challenge that I have is that I don’t speak “DROID-ese” yet.
Is there a place that I can go to get the definitions of a lot of what has been shared like:
Roms
Rooting/root
Rsdlite
Bootstrap recovery
Rom manager
Nondroid backup
Etc………..:blink:
Instead of me asking one annoying question after another; I would like a basic understanding of what I am asking help for.
I agree with one of your TEAM (Together Everyone Accomplishes More) which he said read some of the stuff we share; than ask the question that we can better assist you. GREAT answer!!dancedroid

holmes6

Reaction score
I have already received some great feedback; one challenge that I have is that I don’t speak “DROID-ese” yet.
Is there a place that I can go to get the definitions of a lot of what has been shared like:
Roms
Rooting/root
Rsdlite
Bootstrap recovery
Rom manager
Nondroid backup
Etc………..:blink:
Instead of me asking one annoying question after another; I would like a basic understanding of what I am asking help for.
I agree with one of your TEAM (Together Everyone Accomplishes More) which he said read some of the stuff we share; than ask the question that we can better assist you. GREAT answer!!dancedroid
This is the stuff your kid warned you about :icon_evil:

Roms - Alternate Operating system software

Rooting/root - On a stock phone you only have 'user' access. Once the phone is rooted, you have 'root' aka 'administrator' level access. Users can make limited mods and do only limited damage, root has full access to improve or break the phone.

Rsdlite - Motorola software used to "flash" the phone (rewrite over the memory) with .sbf format files. You'll end up here if you break something.

Bootstrap recovery - A special piece of software that allows for backup and flashing roms among other things.

Rom manager - Software meant to simplify downloading and installing roms and rom mods.

Nandroid backup - Part of bootstrap software. Allows for backup/restore.

OP
BoomerBud

BoomerBud

Reaction score
Need to stand on the shoulders of Giants to see my Droid 2 future?!

Seems to me if I’m on the wrong side of the fence “user vs administrator” I could be walking through a DROID 2 mine field of sorts.:icon_eek:
“Hook” said it right that there can be quite a learning curve for this.
But, I think I am up for the challenge………
So, if you or anyone in the “Droid Forum” knows of a place of terms/definitions and the do’s and don’ts……..a “map” sort a speak to this mine field if you get my meaning.
And then I can come back to “class”…..Droid Forum better prepared to take away the knowledge that is here; and maybe someday I will be able to point someone like me in the right direction…….I’ll be able to contribute.
From where I am standing, the Droid Forum is the place for me and/or anyone like me; for that matter, Newbie or a Master DROIDer can gain a lot of needed info and guidance here.
So, if you or someone from the forum could point me in the right direction………I’m raring to go!dancedroid

OP
BoomerBud

BoomerBud

Reaction score
Thanks, this looks like a detailed set of classes.....just what I am looking for; looks like you got me pointed in the right direction.......:yr1: