newb questions for froyo and droid

exodusprime1337

Reaction score
I just purchased a used droid and so far i'm incredibly in love with it.. However i'm definately a nub when it comes to this phone and so i was wondering if the fine patrons of this forum could please help me answer a few questions before i get myself in over my head.

1. i rooted my phone and successfully updated it to the bb 2.2 froyo release, however it's oc'd by default to 800mhz.. i don't want the overclock can i flash to another froyo revision from this os using sprecovery that i used to install it.. and if so what froyo release is a good stable starting ground for me to get into playing with my droid?

2. i rooted my phone, is there a downside to staying rooted.. or should i always remember to unroot my phone when i'm done.. i havent' bothered since i'm not sure what rom i'm gonna end up with so i'm just leaving it like this for now.

3. my phone randomly shuts down(prolly oc related) and the temps are about 38 on the battery, and 36-50 on the cpu depending on use.. temps ok here?

4. Yes it's true i am a beginner here, and nubbish as i am, i'm still wondering.. i had no trouble flashing to 2.2, but should i be sticking with 2.1 just to learn how to use the phone?

if you choose to answer or provide a link to the answer to a question kindly denote it by then number of the question so i know which question your answering for me. thank you so much!!!.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
.5 - Welcome to the forums!

1 - different people prefer different roms. Read the threads where you see the install instructions and screenshots. Learn what works and what doesn't as those with problems tend to post questions there. Half the fun is trying different ones to determine which one you like best. while not exactly the same the question is very similar to asking what color should I paint my house. One good thread concerning froyo is in the first link of my sig.

2- no downside. My phone has been rooted almost constantly since February except for a 5 minute period of time

3 - 38C is fine. My phone does not randomly shut down though. Learn about overclocking, try a different CPU speed or try a different rom

4 - up to you. You'll learn how to use the phone on a rooted rom or a stock one. The apps are the same, dialing is the same, texting is the same. Rooted phones do have some apps you can't use on a stock phone.

OP
E

exodusprime1337

Reaction score
.5 - Welcome to the forums!

1 - different people prefer different roms. Read the threads where you see the install instructions and screenshots. Learn what works and what doesn't as those with problems tend to post questions there. Half the fun is trying different ones to determine which one you like best. while not exactly the same the question is very similar to asking what color should I paint my house. One good thread concerning froyo is in the first link of my sig.

2- no downside. My phone has been rooted almost constantly since February except for a 5 minute period of time

3 - 38C is fine. My phone does not randomly shut down though. Learn about overclocking, try a different CPU speed or try a different rom

4 - up to you. You'll learn how to use the phone on a rooted rom or a stock one. The apps are the same, dialing is the same, texting is the same. Rooted phones do have some apps you can't use on a stock phone.

awesome thanx for the help with the answers, i'm gonna try another 2.2 out, quick question with that, can i flash to it from froyo 2.2 by just clearning the cache twice and all that good jazz??

Zahoor

Reaction score
U don't have to clean or wipe anything as long as u r staying with the same os version..so if ur switching froyo roms then u don't need to wipe or clean anytghing..if ur switching from froyo to 2.1 or vis versa then u do..goodluck and have fun :)