New2u's Posting Of Applications

wscato

Reaction score
Sorry for my ignorance newbie here, but im looking for a app like (poynt app for the blackberry) is there something close to that for the droid?

Thanks

Try WHERE. It is close and free in the market. Also, Google released an app called Places Directory that has some of the functions Poynt had, but reminds me more of the iPhone App Aroud Me.

Last edited:
OP
New2u

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have once again update the list, I have added about 15 new apps. All of which were in chrisK15's FAQ posting.

missin44

Reaction score
One thing I loved about my crackberry Pearl was the auto power on/off that could be set. I like to have my phone power off at around 11pm and then back on at 6am. I am looking for an Android v2.0 app that will do the same. THANKS to anyone who can point me in the right direction.

looking for the same thing, post if you find a good one.

CharlieJ

Reaction score
[Do you guys know of a good podcast app?

Currently, I download my podcasts using iTunes. I normally use WinAmp for audio playing, but iTunes for podcasts... and I sync the iPod to iTunes.

What I want to do is download podcasts to my Droid, copy my music (which is in MP3 format, not Apple's format) -- and play all of them on the Droid.

I downloaded Listen from the Market last night. Once I test it out, I'll let you know if it meets my needs. Listen is a podcast app that just might fill the bill.

Listen didn't work for my needs at all. You can search many podcasts, but the results were almost always a single podcast, not a link to the source podcast. Furthermore, NONE of the searches I conducted yielded the results I wanted (IE: Search: Chuck Swindoll Result: Nothing of value). Oh well, I'm still looking for a podcast app, so I can retire my iPod and keep just the Droid with me -- for phone, camera, music and web access.

aretoodeetoo

Reaction score
Awesome thread. Is there already a thread somewhere on this forum for requests and recommendations? Like if I'm looking for something and I'm not seeing it on the extensive list you've already provided. It would be similar to this thread for sure but more along the lines of, "Im looking for a good <insert task here> app. What are a few that the users here would recommend I check out?"

thanks for the great forum and great thread

OP
New2u

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
if you have a request of an app you can either put it here, or put it in my other thread that is more of laid back thread where alot of people post what they like, what they want, or just overall questions. It should be in the app section, sorry i can't provide the link at this moment.

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
One thing I loved about my crackberry Pearl was the auto power on/off that could be set. I like to have my phone power off at around 11pm and then back on at 6am. I am looking for an Android v2.0 app that will do the same. THANKS to anyone who can point me in the right direction.

Look for Airplane Autoswitcher in the market. It will do what you want. Only drawback there is no separate setting for weekdays/weekends.
that app doesnt completely turnf off ur phone =[

odoyle81

Reaction score
mobile defense not available for droid

First off, great list! Thanks!

However I don't think mobile defense is available for the droid yet...

According to their website, they are working on development and you can add yourself to the notification list, but I think you should remove mobile defense from your list for now to avoid confusion.

THanks!

From their website (https://www.mobiledefense.com/download)
Important Notice: Verizon DROID and Sprint Hero
We have recently implemented CDMA support and we are testing this release privately with a small group of users. Email [email protected] to be notified when Mobile Defense is available for CDMA phones.

thedoomletter

Reaction score
I like beyondpod for podcast management. It lets you subscribe, like listen does, but you can also download the individual podcasts easily and can build a playlist too. I tried listen but the UI was weak and left me easily frustrated.

medicTHREE

Reaction score
I tweet for twitter, newsrob for rss, on/off widgets such as lockpatter on/off(just search for on/off). Best calendar widget is Pure Calendar(paid). Talk to Me is a great voice to voice translation app. Batterylife is a great looking battery widget. FML is a great APP for FmyLife.

LED Flashlight takes advantage of the LED from camera on droid, and Locale is an AWESOME program. Toggle settings allows you to easily control EVERYTHING on your droid. Set as a shortcut and you're set.

Volume Control can be set to override that stupid volume button on the side so that you don't bump it.

WPtoGo allows you to publish to your wordpress blog from your phone without having to use the browser.

I'll get a blog post going at medicthree.com in the next day reviewing these and more.

mpenda

Reaction score
I really like the 3bananas notepad app, syncs to the web, you can use locations, photos, etc. Very easy to use and looks great.

Thanks for a fantastic list of apps!!