Droid Does... AOL?

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
21945y9.jpg

23tjprn.jpg

Update 7/22 @2:19PM EST: AOL News, Apps and Sites app does not have internal mail checker. Sorry for the confusion, and thanks for the update guys!

Android is slowly gaining the reputation of reviving companies who had struggled with the mobile transition. First with Motorola. Then with Sony Ericsson. Now... AOL? Maybe. Today, AOL released two new apps to the Android Market to give mobile users a better experience with AOL on the go. The first app, AOL News, Apps and Sites allows users to check their AOL mail (obviously), but that is just the start. You are also able to view content AOL's other sites, like Engadget, PopEater, and FanHouse. You are also granted access to a nice UI for MapQuest.

The Daily Finance Mobile app is the second released today by AOL. From this app, you will be able to view financial news and real-time stock quotes; you will also be able to set up and track up to 25 portfolios. Both apps are currently available on the Android Market for free.

2qwzz8o.jpg

In addition to the two newly-released Android apps, AOL also announced that it revamped its mobile website. Now optimized for HTML5 browsers (read: Android and iPhone browsers), the new AOL mobile site "delivers location-based content related to local weather, movie, traffic and other updates; and an application directory."

So, is Android on the verge of reviving another company late to the smartphone game? Possibly, according to David Temkin, AOL's new Vice President of Mobile:

“Android has emerged as a top-tier smartphone platform…So, while we’ll continue to focus on development for multiple mobile platforms…Today’s smartphones offer a completely different experience from the previous generation of WAP-based sites, and AOL will be taking full advantage of the possibilities these new devices can offer, both on the mobile Web and in apps.”
AOL released an AIM app recently as well. Thoughts on AOL's suddenly increased presence in the mobile world?

Source: TechCrunch

brando56894

Reaction score
Great, now instead of hearing "droid" constantly youll be wisked back to the late 90's/ early 2000's by hearing "youve got mail!" constantly lol

RobertHaw

Reaction score
Is AOL still around?? WOW. That's one app I think I'll pass on even before I try it.

obxsalvo

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I hope this helps logging onto AOL mail. I have been having a heck of a time getting into my mail. Fact is I just stopped checking it. ( its a standby email anyway ) Just saying.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'd be impressed if it actually let you into your account. This doesn't sound like that big of a deal.

And many people still have AOL. My brother refuses to let go of his account. Silly if you ask me.

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I hope this helps logging onto AOL mail. I have been having a heck of a time getting into my mail. Fact is I just stopped checking it. ( its a standby email anyway ) Just saying.

the Email app works just fine with AOL mail...

obxsalvo

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I didnt see any mail app. I can get to sign in area however where to click to go to it isnt there. anyway the AOL News etc. isnt any better Oh well

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
tried it; i too thought it would allow u to check your mail......oh well uninstalling.

toddj

Reaction score
I kind of agree with aol being an IM of the past. I still have my username and everything though, and can only get in contact with most of my friends via AIM. I just wish more people would make the transition to gtalk.
What i really don't understand are the people that have android devices and DON'T use gtalk! Nonsense!