New to rooting, SuperUser issues

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score
Ok so I'm new here and I'd like to start with what kind of Droid I have, make and model for whomever needs to know.

Purchased: In September of 2010
Cell: Motorola Droid 2 with slide-out keyboard
System Version: 2.3.20.A955.Verizon.en.US
Model Number: Droid2
Android Version: 2.2
Baseband Version: BP_C_01.09.07P
Kernel Version: 2.6.32.9-g462500f (left out bottom part)
Build Number: VZW
ERI Version: 5
PRL Version: 52031

I spent about a month debating whether I wanted to root my Droid or not. I didn't know anything about rooting, what it does, what are the pros and cons, and everything in general about it so I spent quite some time sifting through endless information to better my understanding of rooting a cell.

Last night I decided to go ahead and root it and risk it. I'll add that nothing else is messed up (which is great) but I don't think it's doing what I thought it was suppose to do when you root it.

I took this guide:

How to: Root Motorola DROID Running Android 2.2 FRG22D - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

and did the step-by-step to rooting my phone. It didn't turn out right the first time because of issues with the ADB file. Then I had to resort to the platform-tools folder instead of tools when doing the command prompt procedure and place things in respective order so the rooting could happen better. It took me a good 2 hours (instead of the proposed 5 minutes) to finally, and supposedly, root my phone with that instruction.

So at the end of that I turned my phone off and back on (reboot) for it to take place. I must say I was a bit confused because nothing looked different or acted much differently after the rooting. But I did notice apps like ShootMe and Nexus live wallpaper (which rely on your cell to be rooted) were finally working so I said to myself that something must have been done right.

What I'm not seeing, as I've seen from others, is the full advantage of SuperUser. The only thing I noticed is that ninja icon and pushing it brings up the permissions for apps relying on root-access. I thought I would be seeing a full SuperUser access to stuff like Ad-free phone and all that good stuff but didn't see anything like that.

So I left that alone for a bit and worked on the home screen and duplicate screens that were all blank after adding Go Launcher to it a couple days ago. I will provide screenshots to this after I finish up here.

I spent quite some time adjusting a lot of widgets and getting new widgets to make things look even more interesting and to my benefit. I also got something called CPUBoost Pro (which is overclock and underclock and battery saver). I didn't notice any changes in that when setting to different speeds and such. Not even battery changes.

Things I have not done yet: Any kernel changes, flashing of the ROM, any Busybox changes or anything related to those.

Only thing I did was Superuser rooting, adding of Go Launcher, CPUBoost Pro, Usage Timeline Pro, ShootMe, and switching around widgets, apps and toggle switches.

I must also add that my phone seems to lag more before and even after the adding of CPUBoost Pro. I don't see a big change in boosting or less lag. I see more lag (staying steady) and not so good stuff.

I also saw SuperUser on the Android Market (the one with a dark gray Droid icon with crossed-bones) and saw that it provided a picture of what the app should look like but no install button, just an Update button. So I clicked that and while it tried to install it I got an Installation Error: Package file was not signed correctly. I've looked this issue up in these forums but nothing about that for the SuperUser and really no good advice to what is causing that.

Anyways, I've provided lots of details about my issues and some good tips, guides, advice, fix-ups, and such would be greatly appreciated to better my understanding, fix the issues, and make my Droid run really good and have the full advantage that I'm seeking over this phone.

Here are the screenshots:

OP
TheSwaggeR

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score
Adding a couple more screenshots since it only allowed a certain number of screenshots uploaded on one post.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Disregard. Didn't see the droid2 part.

Sent from my MetiCk/DavrosModded A855.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I wrote 2 paragraphs but didn't see you had a D2. The paragraphs had to do with the d1. Not interchangeable.

Sent from my MetiCk/DavrosModded A855.

OP
TheSwaggeR

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score
Oh ok. Yeah, I see a lot about the D1's and not much about D2's like the one I have.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App