New to DroidX and Rooting: Help/Questions needed

Tippin

Reaction score
So yeah, Droid X just came from fedex today.

Im interested in rooting it.. even though i have no idea what its going to do to my phone.. But before i even decide to root it. I need a few questions anwered.

-I have a Droid X on Android 2.2 (i checked this from the system settiings of the droidX).. What tutorial would i use for 2.2?

-I also have a system update available to me.. Would I download this system update/install/run the system update option before i root or after or never at all? I think the sticky said to not download the system update

-What things will i be missing if i choose to update or not update? whats available in this system update?

-Is rooting the phone better than downloading the update?

-Would anyone mind helping me if i run into trouble when doing this?

Thanks in advance to all helpful posts! =]

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Goo ahead and run the update. You can root afterwards.

This is a large Forum, there are plenty of people to help you if something goes wrong. I'd like to see you at least learn how to use the phone before you root it. I'd wait two weeks so you can get an idea at least of what rooting is about.

Big Fate

Reaction score
Download the Update.

My personal opinon I think you should run your phone stock for a little while before deciding to root just to get a feel of your phone. Than I suggest you do a whole lot of reading on rooting before you decide to root. Why would you want to risk voiding your warranty on something you dont even know what it does?

OP
T

Tippin

Reaction score
Ok. thanks guys. and Idk, Im big into tinkering with things.. Ive managed to flash a xbox360 dvd drive wtih custom firmware so i figured i could manage this. But you guys are right. I should keep it stock for awhile.

But i have read up on what rooting does a bit.. It allows you to have access to things you normal wouldn't.. custom themes, run the proccessor faster to get snappier load times in apps.. I just didn't feel like thinking at the moment when i first typed lmao.

OP
T

Tippin

Reaction score
Are there any small hacks i can do with this for now?

Big Fate

Reaction score
No, you can only hack while being rooted. Did you download the update? It fixes alot of issues the droid x had with its current software.

Sent from BIG FATES DROIDX

OP
T

Tippin

Reaction score
Yeah I took the update. If anyone can post a direct link to a proper tut to root a x wit the latest update It would be greatly appreciated.

I've looked but have only seen a tut for android 2.2

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App