New to Droid and I have a question on email app

OldMan1955

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
How do you configure the email app to ask for a password when you touch it? I hate having it in automatic mode, because if I lose the phone, then someone would have access to my email account.

I've looked in the settings while in the email app and did not see any options for prompting the user to enter in a password. Any help is greatly appreciated.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
No way that I know of. It can't sync/poll as it is designed to do without storing credentials. You might want to see if another email app offers such a feature or secure the device itself or use an app that password protects apps.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
You might want to look at the free and paid versions of "Protector" and "App Protector" in the Market. The two similar apps enable you to password protect virtually any other app on your phone, including access to email.

I can't comment on which is "better." They appear to be almost identical and the fact that there are two apps seems to be the result of a fallout among developers. The two apps may differ in terms of security features that prevent their protective layers from being defeated by a knowledgeable user and in terms of whether the password must be entered each time an app is accessed or just the first time after the phone is powered on.

One or the other, however, should provide what you're looking for.

OP
O

OldMan1955

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check those apps out. Hard to believe that by default, they don't include some kind of app or protection for this.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check those apps out. Hard to believe that by default, they don't include some kind of app or protection for this.

Well, for business users it's frequently essential. Not to mention those who have personal emails they'd rather not make available to anyone to whom they lend their phone for an occasional call.

nateccnn

Reaction score
How about Paswrod Protect the whole phone. If you're worried about email, maybe you're worried about other things on the phone too...like using the webbrowser with cached passwords.

Nate

OP
O

OldMan1955

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I grabbed the free App Protector. Works great and just what I was looking for.