New to android...questions i have

rfranken

Reaction score
Not sure if these are android questions or Droid X questions....here goes.

1. When I use google navigator the phone will randomly go black. I then need to push power...unlocked....go back to navigator and resume/restart my navigation. (by randomly i mean anywhere from 20 seconds to 10 minutes...and this is with or without touching the screen)

2. so many apps start on there own (either at random times or when i boot the phone up)....how do i stop them from starting in the background all the time?

3. how do you properly close apps? some apps have an exit or close but most don't. backing out doesn't work....home button doesn't work. I always have to use a task killer manager to end them.

4. sometimes 3G goes away....the only way i seem to be able to bring it back is to power cycle the phone.

5. GPS works...I traveled this weekend and it worked great. but back at home now it doesn't work at all. (current location is temporarily unavailable) full 3G strength and it can't find my location. (once or twice it said it did but it was 30 miles off)

6. It seem if you swear in a text message using the microphone option it #### out the swear word. How do i change this? I added the swear word in question to the dictionary thing and still #### when i text using the microphone.

Last edited:

mlomuscio

Reaction score
Not sure if these are android questions or Droid X questions....here goes.

1. When I use google navigator the phone will randomly go black. I then need to push power...unlocked....go back to navigator and resume/restart my navigation. (by randomly i mean anywhere from 20 seconds to 10 minutes...and this is with or without touching the screen)

2. so many apps start on there own (either at random times or when i boot the phone up)....how do i stop them from starting in the background all the time?

3. how do you properly close apps? some apps have an exit or close but most don't. backing out doesn't work....home button doesn't work. I always have to use a task killer manager to end them.

4. sometimes 3G goes away....the only way i seem to be able to bring it back is to power cycle the phone.

5. GPS works...I traveled this weekend and it worked great. but back at home now it doesn't work at all. (current location is temporarily unavailable) full 3G strength and it can't find my location. (once or twice it said it did but it was 30 miles off)

6. It seem if you swear in a text message using the microphone option it #### out the swear word. How do i change this? I added the swear word in question to the dictionary thing and still #### when i text using the microphone.
Good questions. I had to try the swear thing you mentioned and you are correct about the ####. So I spelled out the F word and it worked fine.. Just glad I dont curse. As for the Droid X.. So far the best smartphone I have owned.

alm0614

Reaction score
3) Android handles this natively.. some will argue a task killer is unnecessary because android kills these apps by itself as memory is needed, a task killer can actually slow down the phone if it continually kills apps that android itself needs running

6) On the Droid, there is a setting under Voice settings to allow cursing, not sure about DX

heycow

Reaction score
How Google's Nexus One censors cuss words | Technically Incorrect - CNET News

Google said:
"We filter potentially offensive or inappropriate results because we want to avoid situations whereby we might misrecognize a spoken query and return profanity when, in fact, the user said something completely innocent," Google told Reuters.