New Software Being Pushed to Testers

DRILLINDK

Reaction score
Am I reading this correctly? It doesn't say anything about fixing the data drop problem?

OP
D

dmbatcofc

Reaction score
Am I reading this correctly? It doesn't say anything about fixing the data drop problem?

I am, in NO WAY, an expert on Verizon Wireless or Motorola Phones, BUT....

Though my research and correspondence with both VZW and Moto I don't think a software update is going to fix the data drops... It's my understanding that the data drops are a result of the Verizon network's inability to properly authenticate users "logging in" and "logging out" of cell sites. The issue isn't isolated to the Bionic, it's widespread. Verizon has acknowledged in press statements that they are having "growing pains" in the expansion of their 4G network, and that they're working on the issues they face. So... I'm sure some will contest my statement that: your phone isn't the issue, it's the Verizon network. My 2 cents, take it for what it's worth. If it were ONLY the Bionic, then users on the GNex, Charge, Bolt, Revolution, Etc would not being having the same issues, but they are.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's my understanding that the data drops are a result of the Verizon network's inability to properly authenticate users "logging in" and "logging out" of cell sites. The issue isn't isolated to the Bionic, it's widespread. So... I'm sure some will contest my statement that: your phone isn't the issue, it's the Verizon network. My 2 cents, take it for what it's worth. If it were ONLY the Bionic, then users on the GNex, Charge, Bolt, Revolution, Etc would not being having the same issues, but they are.

It's probably a little of both, considering that some people get a replacement phone that worked better. I've heard that has to do with the phone's ability to try again quickly if Verizon doesn't authenticate. Again, a little of both.

Sometimes I wonder what data problems would go away (or appear) if Bionic owners were to stand shoulder to shoulder. I mean, at my house 4G is spotty, but at my parents it's great.

Last edited:

bionic805er

Reaction score
When is this ota update coming to everyone..

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
It's probably a little of both, considering that some people get a replacement phone that worked better. I've heard that has to do with the phone's ability to try again quickly if Verizon doesn't authenticate. Again, a little of both.

Sometimes I wonder what data problems would go away (or appear) if Bionic owners were to stand shoulder to shoulder. I mean, at my house 4G is spotty, but at my parents it's great.

That would be really interesting to see, would clear up a lot too.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
When is this ota update coming to everyone..

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

No clue; the last time the soak testers got it, I got the update the next week. Hopefully by the end of the month.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
So what about the people that accidently got 901 pushed to them or installed it manually. Will we get the 902? Or did Moto screw us on that one?

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
So what about the people that accidently got 901 pushed to them or installed it manually. Will we get the 902? Or did Moto screw us on that one?

That's a good question. In theory the update will come as .901 did go OTA (at least to some), but we'll have to see.

Last edited:

wseyller

Reaction score
I don't think the data drops is software related, at least not anymore. My first phone had 5.5.893 ota and it was worthless for 4g use and I had lots of 3g data drops ever since I got the phone on release day. I got a replacement and this one with 5.5.893 ota works perfect since I got. I even have a solid 4g connection now. I does well when changing between 3g and 4g areas.

don_droid

Reaction score

You need to read both change logs the 901 and the 902. The droid-life article just listed the change from 901 to 902. The 901 change log had several things that will improve data drops. So if you do not have 901 yet than this update will improve stability and the data drops. Much written about how it is a network issue and it is, but the old software on the bionic has some issues that make the data drops worse on the bionic over other phones.

welsalex

Reaction score
This is great news. Im still on 5.7.893. Been waiting for this new update since everyone was generally like "ehhhhh" when it came to official ota 5.5.893

Sent from my Droid BIONIC via DroidForums

CurGeorge8

Reaction score
Can anyone else verify this with a source that doesn't point back to a droid life article? From what I gather on the motorola.com forums, it sounds like none of the soak testers for .893 update have heard anything about the .902 release.

And since droid life doesn't indicate their source, I'm pretty skeptical.