New Screen Protector?

R

racklefratz

Seriously?

racklefratz ---Did ya see the ad for the invisShield at the bottom(edit...now above)of this thread. the video that had on their website is what makes me really want to try it.

Nope, haven't seen it. I really don't want anything between my finger and the screen.

bamfsig45

Reaction score
Invisible Shield + Body Glove case = Full Protection from "Normal" every day use, including putting phone in pocket. I think Holsters, Pouches on a belt and the like is ghay IMO. And you risk catching that holster or pouch on something. If this phone was built properly you shouldnt have dust issues.

Sand will scratch glass so if you carry it in your pocket get an Inv Shield. I havent noticed any sensitivity issues.

Utzz

Reaction score
Since when have metallic objects scratched glass?

Seriously?

Yeah, seriously. I'm guessing you've never taken a physics class so let me fill you in: In order to scratch material A with material B, material B needs be 'harder' than material A. Metal isn't 'harder' than glass, which implies it isn't the "sharp metallic objects" you need to be worried about scratching your glass screen. It's the diamonds, silica, sand, etc that you need to worry about.

vonfink13

Reaction score
i put the screen protector from verizon on mine. no bubbles and the loss of screen sensitivity doesn't bother me. my fear is the rivets on my jean pockets scratching it up. i do have a pretty good scrape in the protector. it just makes me feel better knowing it has some protection.

Reaction score
I got the screen protector on mine (from Verizon) without bubbles for the most part, but I DO notice it is there...I want to let it go naked but I would be sooo pissed if something happened to the screen!

FWIW, I do carry it in my pocket but only by itself. Keys, wallet, chapstick, etc all go in a different pocket. The only thing that is ever in my front right pocket is the Droid. By itself.

I used to carry my iPhone in an Oakley sunglasses microfiber bag/sock, which worked really well although a tad annoying...maybe I'll start doing that for my Droid!?

R

racklefratz

Metal isn't 'harder' than glass, which implies it isn't the "sharp metallic objects" you need to be worried about scratching your glass screen.

There are some metals that are as hard as glass, and this ain't the hill I want to die on - just simply not something I want to put to the test, Mohs hardness scale notwithstanding. And the other issue about keeping an unprotected screen in a pocket where there are "metal" objects is that if car keys are pressed against the screen and you hit something hard with your let where the phone is, there's a very real potential for breaking the screen. Contaminants in pockets are just as much a concern. If all that makes you feel warm and fuzzy and you want to carry your phone like that, have at it. I don't intend to take those kinds of chances with a fragile device I just paid nearly $600 for.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I feel no loss of sensitivity of my screen with my Invisible Shield on.

I know the screen is scratch resistant already, but I felt I wanted the extra protection. The screen us still very sensitive and accurate.
I'm happy with my decision and do recommend people to get it but in the end its the owners decision.

R

racklefratz

my fear is the rivets on my jean pockets scratching it up. i do have a pretty good scrape in the protector. it just makes me feel better knowing it has some protection.

Not to worry - our resident "physicist" has issued the ruling on that. Your rivets won't be a problem. :icon_ poke:

brendanstl

Reaction score
Motorola might recommend no screen protector but i'm puting one on. I am nery careful with my phones and I've been sporting mine without, I was wiping the screen off today and noticed a scratch that is about a half an inch long and it wont come off. I'd recommend getting one to anyone who owns a droid.

Screen protectors reduce screen sensitivity, which is what you don't want with a touchscreen. Keeping the phone in a case that protects the entire device until you want to use it is the most effective solution to everything, all things considered.

Amazingly I do have the phone in a case, a very expensive one in my opinion, its the heavy duty one that verizon sells in the stores which turns the screen of your phone in toward the holster so it doesnt get scratched when bumping up against something. I thought that would be fine but somehow have aquired a scratch. So my reason for posting this was to inform people that no matter how careful you are there is a possibility that the screen can be scratched. I use the phone to its fullest all day and I dont intend on leaving it in some soft velvet lined case all day. I'll be getting an invisi shield.

ddelorme

Reaction score
UTZZ,
Great! I was only worried about protecting my new phone from my keys and such.
Now I have to worry about the sand, silica, and diamonds in my pockets(OK, maybe not the Diamonds). :)
Between all that and the reviews I've seen about the InvisiShield it looks I'm heading to Best Buy after work on Wednesday. I have to pick up a TV there anyway.

Any one who has one, know how easy the InvisiShield is to get on?

R

racklefratz

I thought that would be fine but somehow have aquired a scratch. So my reason for posting this was to inform people that no matter how careful you are there is a possibility that the screen can be scratched.

Impossible. Utterly impossible, unless you get around diamonds all the time. Gotta' give those diamonds a wide berth, but aside from them, no scratches. We got this guy here who will tell you that scratch didn't happen - unless you got too close to a pesky diamond.

I use the phone to its fullest all day and I dont intend on leaving it in some soft velvet lined case all day. I'll be getting an invisi shield.
You don't leave it in the case all day. It's in there until you need to use it, then you take it out. Easy.

R

racklefratz

Invisible Shield + Body Glove case = Full Protection from "Normal" every day use, including putting phone in pocket. I think Holsters, Pouches on a belt and the like is ghay IMO. And you risk catching that holster or pouch on something. If this phone was built properly you shouldnt have dust issues.

Sand will scratch glass so if you carry it in your pocket get an Inv Shield. I havent noticed any sensitivity issues.

Glad to know all that. That Body Glove case is the biggest joke that's come down the pike in a while, BTW. We had two and trashed 'em both. Dang near tore up one of the Droids trying to get the bottom off one phone.

"Ghay", huh? Well, I usually carry the phone on my left side and my .45 on my right side, so I guess I really look ghay. Better watch my 6. ;)

brendanstl

Reaction score

Glad to know all that. That Body Glove case is the biggest joke that's come down the pike in a while, BTW. We had two and trashed 'em both. Dang near tore up one of the Droids trying to get the bottom off one phone.

"Ghay", huh? Well, I usually carry the phone on my left side and my .45 on my right side, so I guess I really look ghay. Better watch my 6. ;)

As much as I would like to keep this on subject, I cant help but ask why you carry a .45 for concealment. Are you afraid of big game, is there dangerous animals coming in contact with you at times....lol? Where I come from 9mm is pretty sufficient.

R

racklefratz

I cant help but ask why you carry a .45 for concealment. Are you afraid of big game, is there dangerous animals coming in contact with you at times....lol? Where I come from 9mm is pretty sufficient.

I'm comfortable with the .45 ACP round, and I like the 1911 form factor. I own several, including a couple of customs from Ed Brown and Night Hawk Custom.

Big holes are better. Size matters.

Utzz

Reaction score
I thought that would be fine but somehow have aquired a scratch. So my reason for posting this was to inform people that no matter how careful you are there is a possibility that the screen can be scratched.

Impossible. Utterly impossible, unless you get around diamonds all the time. Gotta' give those diamonds a wide berth, but aside from them, no scratches. We got this guy here who will tell you that scratch didn't happen - unless you got too close to a pesky diamond.

In what way have I proposed that a scratch that someone actually has, doesn't exist? It's funny you pick 'diamonds' out to try and make me look stupid, yet you quote Mohs scale...so you know of what I'm talking about. I never once said the screen couldn't be scratched. Rock, sand and silica are quite a bit more abundant than diamonds and will scratch..."sharp metallic objects", not so much. But hey, if you or anyone else feels the need to protect your screen with a cover, have at it. I'm just not a fan of buying something without knowing why I'm buying it...and worrying about "sharp metallic objects" would be the last worry on my list in the purchase of a cover for a glass screen.