New Player in the Google TV Market: Samsung to Debut Google TV Equipped Smart TVs

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung-google-tv.jpeg

Ironically, even though in the past Samsung has been working toward developing their own Smart TV platform to be a competitor to both Google TV and Apple TV, it looks like they may be shifting their position a bit. We have news that Samsung is ready to debut some new Google TV equipped Smart TVs later this year. Samsung has even ported their best Smart TV apps from that operating system over to Google TV. This seems like a wise move by them, and at the very least is a sign that they are hedging their bets. Most of us are huge fans of Samsung's TV's, so we are pretty excited to get one of these sets. How about you guys?

Source: GoogleTVForum.org via Engadget

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Huge fan of Samsung TV's and I like this. I regret getting rid of my Sammy Blu Ray player. The one I got now (Panasonic) is very sluggish software, UI wise compared to my Samsung one.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I got a PS3 years ago mainly for the blu-ray and music/media capabailities. No complaints (ok, hated using the controller to navigate, but got myself a Harmony remote and PS3 adapter). I do regret not hacking it with a linux distro while I had the chance.

Anxiously awaiting EOL on my 8-yr old plasma so I can get a new 1080p tv (it's only 720).

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Personally, I'd rather have this function in a external box. I personally would rather have a TV that just did TV things. At the end of the day I have a PS3, Wii, and a tablet/phone with HDMI out. These services kind of get redundant after a while.

stinger161

Reaction score
I got a Sammy UN55D6000 earlier this year and i love it! My only complaints are the hub and apps are kind of bad and no browser, but is that what you buy a tv for in the first place? No. But recently my xbox went tits up and is back at Microsoft getting repaired. So i figured I'd d/l the mlb tv app so i can still watch the Cardinals. Unfortunately it's not supported but Sammy is targeting an update prior to the start of the 2012 (yes '12) season.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Personally, I'd rather have this function in a external box. I personally would rather have a TV that just did TV things. At the end of the day I have a PS3, Wii, and a tablet/phone with HDMI out. These services kind of get redundant after a while.

This I kinda agree with. I have surround sound setup...and I dont feel like trying to get the sound to come thru the receiver when I use my TV for Netflix. So I use my 360 or PS3. But...in my bedroom, its just the TV for sound....so it doesnt matter in there.

jayman350

Reaction score
I am sadly still living in the standard definition age. I am waiting for my current 37" sony trinitron to die (no go on sabotage cause she would figure it out)... here's hoping. I am getting married and cannot afford to purchase a tv until this happens, or possibly a wedding present who would immediately become my favorite family member.

anyways, i just don't get the whole smart tv with apps loaded up on it that are going to require a special remote to use (I am a loyal tivo user for the last 6 years or so). especially if all of the blueray players, wii, roku, tivo, etc, etc units pretty much can do the same thing.

while I do enjoy my mobile devices, i still prefer my pc for many tasks, i don't think i need/want to add my tv into the mix for things I need to keep updated with the latest software fixes.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I am sadly still living in the standard definition age. I am waiting for my current 37" sony trinitron to die (no go on sabotage cause she would figure it out)... here's hoping. I am getting married and cannot afford to purchase a tv until this happens, or possibly a wedding present who would immediately become my favorite family member.

That's never going to die. I had a Sony Trinitron TV that lasted over 20+ years before it decided to die.

Death4U

Reaction score
jayman350 said:

anyways, i just don't get the whole smart tv with apps loaded up on it that are going to require a special remote to use (I am a loyal tivo user for the last 6 years or so). especially if all of the blueray players, wii, roku, tivo, etc, etc units pretty much can do the same thing.

while I do enjoy my mobile devices, i still prefer my pc for many tasks, i don't think i need/want to add my tv into the mix for things I need to keep updated with the latest software fixes.

A little spill in the back of it does wonders lmao