Introducing the Google TV Forums @ googletvforum.org

J

JohnDroid

If you haven't been living under a rock for the past 6 months then you've probably heard about this new thing called Google TV. What is it? Well, Google TV is a sofware layer that runs on either stand-alone devices that plug into your TV or your television itself. This software is meant to change the way you use and interact with your TV.

Think about searching for any and all shows that might be running with a familiar and powerful Google search box, right on your TV. Imagine running all kinds of internet enabled Apps with the power of Android right on your TV. That gives you an idea of just some of the features that Google TV offers and the power that Google TV Apps can bring.

Since we think that Google TV could be a big hit with consumers we've decided to dedicate an entire site to it. As with all of our communities we aim to be a friendly, helpful, educational place where you can ask the simplest questions or the most advanced hacking questions.

With that said, we'd like to introduce the Google TV Forum @ googletvforum.org. The site is just getting off the ground so we would appreciate your help in registering, posting a welcome post and any questions you may have about the Google TV platform. We'll do our best to answer them. While it's not an official resource, we are built on enthusiasts of all the things Google has to offer.

To visit the site, simply click here: Google TV Forums

Thanks for your attention and thanks for being a valued member!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I understand that Google TV will bring the Internet to your living room with tons of content. But I'd like to know what content, is it HD quality, can you watch network shows?

I have lots of questions about it but I'm very interested.

Kack

Reaction score
This looks great i cant wait to control my tv with my phone! it also has dish dvr search service which will be nice. now i have to wait to buy a Google TV

Darkseider

Reaction score
Google TV will be residing in my home by the end of the month. Dish Network HD package and Google TV with DVR and Android goodness + my uber Droid = LOVE. The only thing FiOS will be offering to me now is internet access and phone service. Hell my bill will actually be LOWER. WOOT! dancedroid

OP
J

JohnDroid

I understand that Google TV will bring the Internet to your living room with tons of content. But I'd like to know what content, is it HD quality, can you watch network shows?

I look at Google TV as sitting on top of your existing content -- be it cable or satellite. Then, add apps which like youtube will stream content. So think of it as an addition to what you are already getting -- not replacing it.

Imagine using google search on your TV instead of a TV guide to find out whats coming up...

ie, search for NFL and having it show all the NFL related content in the next hour or two... but actually useful as opposed the search your current box or provider supports now.

Samsung TV's already have a myriad of Apps... my TV can do facebook, youtube, Twitter etc... but Google TV adds more then just apps.

At least, that's how I feel. Good question to ask over at the GTV Forums though :)

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score

I have been reading that so far quite a few of the big networks will not be run on googleTV. Certainly that could change but as of now it looks like they have omitted some big ones.

OP
J

JohnDroid

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have to say I just went to the official google TV webpage and it looks pretty awesome. Now if they get all networks to sign off on this thing, why would anyone not want this? I am sure plenty of people will not but IMO it looks cool.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
very interested in this. member # 11 :( i wanted to be under 10

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I look at Google TV as sitting on top of your existing content -- be it cable or satellite. Then, add apps which like youtube will stream content. So think of it as an addition to what you are already getting -- not replacing it.

Imagine using google search on your TV instead of a TV guide to find out whats coming up...

ie, search for NFL and having it show all the NFL related content in the next hour or two... but actually useful as opposed the search your current box or provider supports now.

Samsung TV's already have a myriad of Apps... my TV can do facebook, youtube, Twitter etc... but Google TV adds more then just apps.

At least, that's how I feel. Good question to ask over at the GTV Forums though :)

See with my TiVo and Cable I already have access to not only YouTube I also have access to Netflix, Amazon, and several other internet areas. Now it would give me complete Internet access but again, what about high def, dolby 5.1. That stuff is important to me.

If the box is priced reasonably I suppose I could get it and run it in addition to my existing stuff like you say. I know there is no service charge like with TiVo.

Darkseider

Reaction score
Bah, member #17... Oooh well, at least I made the top 100!

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I dont have Dish, Direct TV, TiVo. I really want this. If for anything else, it gives me a cheaper, easier to find universal remote...lol