New phone: Droid 3 vs Bionic vs Samsung GSII

DroidFan7

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have a question that I'm hoping someone can provide some answers for. My two-year contract with Verizon expired recently and I'm in the market for a new phone. The phone I've had for the last two years was a Samsung Alias 2. Not a smartphone, but it kept me through college and day-to-day activities. Now I'm looking to get an Android phone and I need some help deciding which one. I've done my research but my younger brother (who shares our family verizon account with me) desperately needs his iPhone 4. So now he's hounding me to decide on a phone. My question (sorry for ranting) is what phone do I get? Should I get a Droid 3, wait 2 more weeks for the Bionic or possibly wait even longer for Samsung to release the GSII?

Thanks for reading!

DroidFan7

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
Droid 3 if you want a more pocketable phone with a nice keyboard, GS2 if you want a 4G, super amoled+ phone.

I would say the Droid 3 or GS2. The GS2 seems to be everything the Bionic is, but better.

The Droid 3 is different than the other two with a keyboard, and 4inch display.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

C

Communisum

I would go with the bionic. Sammys just feel cheap to me, I like build quality...

spillner

Reaction score
I say wait till the Bionic comes out and play with both the D3 and that. I have a D3 and love it. Moto does have the best build quality.

Dmw017

Reaction score
droid 3 if u want a keyboard.
Bionic if a keyboard isn't necessary and you really want 4G (I think its just a gimmick really).
SG2 if you can wait a month for it. Its really the most high end out of the three but that doesn't really matter unless your a heavy gamer.

Honestly I think the Bionic is going to be disappointing for numerous reasons.
Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

darkmatter

Reaction score
Is the Galaxy S2 still supposed to be coming to the US with tegra2 instead of exynos?

Dmw017

Reaction score
The bionic has 1gb, d3 has 512 and Gs2 has 1gb I believe. It doesn't really make a difference however, and I think I read that the bionics extra 512mb is dedicated to webtop anyways.

spunker88

Reaction score
I also had an Alias 2 before my Droid 3. I have always liked having a physical keyboard so it was a nice upgrade to get a bigger and better physical keyboard on the Droid 3. If you would rather have a slightly larger screen and use a soft keyboard then this isn't an advantage, but I like being able to have the option of a hardware keyboard which doesn't rob screen space like a soft keyboard.

Dmw017

Reaction score
So im 6"3 and my hands are relatively big but does anyone find it somewhat difficult to type with the keyboard. It seems like it takes some effort to push down the keys.
The Multi-touch keyboard seems to be easier to type on, but I haven't really tested it thoroughly to be able to compare the two.
I guess the downside with the soft keyboard is it takes up a lot of space and you are a lot more likely to make mistakes while typing.

Btw - Wow I just used the soft keyboard to type out that last few sentences and man did I get it done fast and with ease. No typos either. However I don't want to ditch the hard keyboard because well.. its taking up space on my phone and I don't want it to be useless :/

anuraj1

Reaction score
droid 3 if u want a keyboard.
Bionic if a keyboard isn't necessary and you really want 4G (I think its just a gimmick really).
SG2 if you can wait a month for it. Its really the most high end out of the three but that doesn't really matter unless your a heavy gamer.

Honestly I think the Bionic is going to be disappointing for numerous reasons.

If you live in a 4g area and you've tried it, you'll see that it is most definitely not a gimmick. The Bionic is going to be a beautiful piece of hardware. We have no idea when the SGS2 is going to be released and we don't even know what specs it will have in the US and on VZW.

Dmw017

Reaction score
If you live in a 4g area and you've tried it, you'll see that it is most definitely not a gimmick. The Bionic is going to be a beautiful piece of hardware. We have no idea when the SGS2 is going to be released and we don't even know what specs it will have in the US and on VZW.

Yeah I know the speeds 4G is capable of. I consider it a gimmick because honestly, why would you want 20mbps speeds on your phone in the first place, other than "just to have it."
Whatever heavy downloading you need done that requires a high speed connection will most likely be done on your laptop.
Torrents, games, movies and whatever else are all unlikely to be seen on a mobile phone with their small screens.
I live in NYC where 4G couldn't get any better but I have no problems with using 3g on my D3. In fact it runs almost as fast as w-fi sometimes (doing the typical browsing, downloading, etc). I cannot think of a single reason why I would need 20mbps speeds (emphasis on the word need, not want).
On top of that, if you're not on a prepaid line and/or you don't get unlimited data, whatever reason you would need 4g speeds for would suck the life out of your data plan.
Then there's also the heavy battery issue because 4G is still a relatively new technology.
If you stream videos to an insane point, maybe 4g would be for you, but other than that, 3g is perfect, and even works fine with video streaming too so.
That's why I consider 4G to be a gimmick. Its something people say they "must have" but don't really have any use for those kinds of speeds on the tiny phones with 4-4.5 inch screens.

JohnnyS101

Reaction score
Yeah I know the speeds 4G is capable of. I consider it a gimmick because honestly, why would you want 20mbps speeds on your phone in the first place, other than "just to have it."
Whatever heavy downloading you need done that requires a high speed connection will most likely be done on your laptop.
Torrents, games, movies and whatever else are all unlikely to be seen on a mobile phone with their small screens.
I live in NYC where 4G couldn't get any better but I have no problems with using 3g on my D3. In fact it runs almost as fast as w-fi sometimes (doing the typical browsing, downloading, etc). I cannot think of a single reason why I would need 20mbps speeds (emphasis on the word need, not want).
On top of that, if you're not on a prepaid line and/or you don't get unlimited data, whatever reason you would need 4g speeds for would suck the life out of your data plan.
Then there's also the heavy battery issue because 4G is still a relatively new technology.
If you stream videos to an insane point, maybe 4g would be for you, but other than that, 3g is perfect, and even works fine with video streaming too so.
That's why I consider 4G to be a gimmick. Its something people say they "must have" but don't really have any use for those kinds of speeds on the tiny phones with 4-4.5 inch screens.

True, when I get my upgrade in about a year or so, I believe they are gona make phones with good battery and 4g will be neccesary, I mean I download mp3 files from music junk and it takes forever to download and I also stream netflix which it doesn't buffer but it could see better qulaity with faster speeds

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

patfactorx

Reaction score
Sammy has really cheap plasticky phones. I have a Samsung tv and I love it but when it comes to phones I need something durable.