New phone: Droid 3 vs Bionic vs Samsung GSII

JWellington

Reaction score
The 1 GB is definitely useful ;
I have a Droid X and I fine myself looking too often at the task manager. When you have a bunch of apps installed, it is crucial to have much ram. Makes browsing better too. Memory plays a big factor in the speed of computing.

Swyped from my DROIDX from Tapatalk.

OP
D

DroidFan7

Reaction score
OP here. I didn't mean to start a flame war here. I think I'm going to go this weekend and pick up a Droid 3 and then I'm well within the 14-day return policy for when the Bionic comes out on September 8th. My question now is does Verizon allow you to get a phone at the two-year contract discount if I returned the Droid 3?

celtic11

Reaction score
OP here. I didn't mean to start a flame war here. I think I'm going to go this weekend and pick up a Droid 3 and then I'm well within the 14-day return policy for when the Bionic comes out on September 8th. My question now is does Verizon allow you to get a phone at the two-year contract discount if I returned the Droid 3?

I recently purchased a samsung DROID charge and after two days I returned it in favor of the DROID 3. I had to go to a different store to purchase the d3 as the Verizon corporate store was all out. Once I returned the charge I made sure the upgrade was credited back to the account and I was able to get the d3 at upgrade pricing. Also the 14 day window to return the phone does come with a $35 restocking fee if you didn't already know that.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

OP
D

DroidFan7

Reaction score
I recently purchased a samsung DROID charge and after two days I returned it in favor of the DROID 3. I had to go to a different store to purchase the d3 as the Verizon corporate store was all out. Once I returned the charge I made sure the upgrade was credited back to the account and I was able to get the d3 at upgrade pricing. Also the 14 day window to return the phone does come with a $35 restocking fee if you didn't already know that.

I knew about the $35 restocking fee but I am glad that Verizon will honor the upgrade.

jimmiethemum

Reaction score
The reason why I asked about the internal memory is that my original Droid keeps freezing on me etc. They said it's mainly because of the internal memory. I deleted all my apps etc and it still keeps going crazy on me. It's just so happen that my two year contract is up. So I'm leary about getting a phone without proper memory. I do like to have apps on the phone (photobucket) and a bunch more plus Gmail and Comcast etc.
I guess for the next two years I want to make sure I pick the right phone. I loved the original Droid until this freezing thing happen. Not sure why it's still happening after I deleted the apps.

Dmw017

Reaction score
Yeah that doesn't sound like a ram issue. If you deleted your apps then there should be nothing taking up your internal memory.
Maybe because your device was old, anytime android naturally tried to auto close a program because too many things were opened, the droid would freeze. Anyway I don't think the issue was a lack of ram, just funky stuff happening in an old phone as can be expected.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

jimmiethemum

Reaction score
Thanks for your help and answer, much appreciated. I just checked ny internal memory and it says: 182MB. I have a ton of space on my SD card14.1 GB out of 14.9 even tho I have over 600 pictures in my gallery.

I also did a re boot which didn't help.
I guess it's just old and needs to be retired?
I'm gonna keep doing some research but the bionic sounds interesting

OP
D

DroidFan7

Reaction score
I don't know if there are any verizon policy experts here, but I would like to know the answer to this question: if I renew my contract and get my brother his iPhone (he's very impatient lol) soon, will I be able to still get a promotional 2-year price for the Bionic if I buy it two weeks after I renew my contract?

celtic11

Reaction score
I don't know if there are any verizon policy experts here, but I would like to know the answer to this question: if I renew my contract and get my brother his iPhone (he's very impatient lol) soon, will I be able to still get a promotional 2-year price for the Bionic if I buy it two weeks after I renew my contract?

Each line on your account has an upgrade date and they don't need to bf used at the same time. If both phones are available for upgrade then your brother can renew his line and get the iphone and then you can upgrade when ever you choose. The upgrade date is based on the line.

You can text #upg on your phone and you will get a text back with the upgrade date on your line and your brother can do the same.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well.. this thread has been taken all over the place and lost some perspective on what you are choosing between.

Droid 3: Hardware Keyboard, Global Capability

Bionic: 1 Ghz memory, 4G, slightly larger screen.

That's the gist of it and what you are trading for between the two. I expect you are looking at much the same experience outside of those specs.

As a D3 owner, I haven't really had any issues with the memory, I'd make that distinction between the two phones the least of your concerns. More memory certainly doesn't hurt, but in this case, less memory doesn't really hurt it either.

The Bionic has never really been a consideration for me. Having a keyboard is non-negotiable with me after having tried the iPhone way (which I found to be ridiculous as the ONLY option.) I also just got back from Europe and will be returning there, so that is another strike against Bionic. I don't expect they'll be ready to present a 4G smartphone that fits my technical spec requirements (slider, global, 4g, battery life) for another year at least.

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Bionic has never really been a consideration for me. Having a keyboard is non-negotiable with me after having tried the iPhone way (which I found to be ridiculous as the ONLY option.) I also just got back from Europe and will be returning there, so that is another strike against Bionic. I don't expect they'll be ready to present a 4G smartphone that fits my technical spec requirements (slider, global, 4g, battery life) for another year at least.

Well the Stratosphere is supposed to be a 4G slider from Samsung. We just don't know much about it.

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
I have never had an issue with the 512MB or RAM on the Droid 3.
I never had an issue with the 256MB on the Original Droid.

I don't see why its such a big factor for people buying phones.
Unless you never exit apps. I back out of them.

C

Communisum

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha go get your gsii on your FauxG network, supposedly big reds not getting it, at all! Hahahahahhahaahahahhahaha

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
As android and associated apps mature the need for ram also increases, newer games and applications are becoming increasingly complex and will only continue to do so as we move further away from the PC being our main machine.

anuraj1

Reaction score
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha go get your gsii on your FauxG network, supposedly big reds not getting it, at all! Hahahahahhahaahahahhahaha

The only reason I like this so much is because the SGS2 fanboys talked SO much sh*t about the Bionic.