Droid Bionic vs Droid 3

johnnieeve

Reaction score
Isn’t it interesting how, despite the multiple dozens of android phones released over the past two years, no one single phone appears to have “Won the hearts” of the majority of android fans? Always a compromise or trade off. I guess that’s called marketing and free enterprise, and that’s a good thing. But, given the advancement of mobile phone technology this past year, it’s time android step up and releases a “WOW” phone. Load it up with everything. All the latest and greatest, all in one beautiful package. 4.3 screen, 4G, Dual core, tons of RAM. 8+ camera plus front facing, best resolution screen, huge memory, and yes, a physical keyboard. All this is available now, and I know all of you can build on my dream specs. I would pass on the keyboard if Motorola offered a portable detachable keyboard similar to what Palm offered for their Treo line of phones.
For me, my phone in on my hip 24/7. My Droid is very close to being a laptop replacement. Come on Android, just a few more refinements and we’re there. Stop the teasing.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Good point john and I agree. The reason my Droid 1 has lasted as long as it has is that I refuse to compromise or settle as I like to say.

Q2-4 we should finally be seeing some worthy phones then I will assume the cycle of mediocrity will follow for another year before the next round of great devices appear.

Sent from my Droid

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Huskerkate. Im wondering if the Targa is the new Nexus device as well. Htc and Samsung have had their turns and Motorola would logically be next up. Pure speculation of course but it would sure be nice to finally get a dev device on Verizon.

Sent from my Droid

i can see arguments on both sides; but, assuming that the Targa does turn out to be quad core, what do you think the chances are that Moto would make its first quad core device an open/dev device??? given Moto's history, i could see them wanting to lock down the device and not having anyone messing with it. on the other hand, i could also see them wanting to see what devs could do with quad core, and get ideas for future improvements to such a device...

PatG

Reaction score
I currently have the D1 and will get an upgrade this summer, too. I have found that I don't use the keyboard at all, and to me the 4.3" screen is actually too big. I want a 4" screen on my next phone without the keyboard. Don't care about LTE, it's not in my area and I am not holding my breath.

I guess I want the Atrix, is that phone in another name coming to Verizon?

patfactorx

Reaction score
Droid 3 beter be Global and have the OMAP dual core. Tegra 2 < A5 Apple chip =0(

bendystrawboy

Reaction score
I'm sure the d3 is 3g because of size...all the 4g phones seem pretty large to me.

Its funny how no one mentions the samsung or the lg, poor lte leftouts.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
i can see arguments on both sides; but, assuming that the Targa does turn out to be quad core, what do you think the chances are that Moto would make its first quad core device an open/dev device??? given Moto's history, i could see them wanting to lock down the device and not having anyone messing with it. on the other hand, i could also see them wanting to see what devs could do with quad core, and get ideas for future improvements to such a device...
This is based on the assumption it's Quad-Core. Right now there is no info to validate that it will in fact be Quad Core.

The guy who leaked the handset said it's only speculation at this point.

I would like to see the Dual Core TI OMAP at the very least. That sucker fly's : )

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
just read Targa will NOT be Quad Core and it will release probably before Q4.

As always it's early and things change everyday but today thats where this handset is at.

andjarnic

Reaction score
Android 2.4 will never exist

Hey all,

Just wanted to clarify about Android 2.4... it can not ever exist. The reason is the API levels for developers goes in order for versions. Android 2.3 is API lvl 9, Android 2.3.3 is API lvl 10, and Android 3.0 is API lvl 11. So the next possible version is Android 3.x on a phone. HOWEVER, as was said in the android developer forums, this does NOT mean phones will see the Android 3.x UI. As far as I know, that UI is only for larger screened tablets.. probably 6"+ screen size. That is not 100% for sure. I am really interested myself in seeing how Android 3.x makes it on phones. If they use the Android 3 code base but provide the 2.x UI... that may be possible. Otherwise, only other thing I can imagine is they start having two OSs.. Android Phone and Android Tablet or something. I personally would love to see the new UI on the 4"+ phones.. but they may be too small still to utilize it.

So time will tell what happens to the next version of Android for phones.

I do know though that Moto/HTC/Samsung/LG are all working with nVidia on their quad-core tegra 3 chip now.. takes months and months to test and make sure the hardware and software work together.. so while the quad-core chip wont be fabbed until August or so for end of year quad-core devices, you can bet they have some prototypes out there now being worked with to find any issues and have time to fix them.

I am curious how a quad core is going to be used on the phone though. Background processes that run in parallel might see a boost, but only one app runs at a time..the foreground app.. so other than the foreground app utilizing multiple threads.. games come to mind.. I am really starting to question how many cores and power we need for phones. At least with the Android OS. My guess is Google is going to eventually merge Chrome OS with Android OS in some way such that as we're kind of seeing with the Atrix now.. our mobile device becomes our day to day computer too. I am sure for some of us hard core enthusiasts, desktops will live on for a long time. The need for very fast machines for high end games, video editing and such will be around for some time. But ten years from now..it would not surprise me if even desktops and laptops are starting to be phased.

djobitwan7

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Droid 3 uses DDR2 RAM like the Bionic does? The 3 should beat the Bionic, since this is Verizon's flagship line, but they do need a smartphone that has all the WOW factors built in and let it rip to the customers. They wasted the name Thunderbolt, since 3 and Bionic would be better.