New member here: Should I buy the Incredible or the X?

DruidX

Reaction score
Hi all, I am in NO way anywhere near as much a techie as most of you, but am currently in the market to replace my HTC Touch at the end of July.

I had been waiting for the Nexus One, then decided I wanted to keep Verizon.. so I have been waiting for the Incredible (I like it's looks, too, as it is more rounded and looks more like the N1, which I think is a beautiful design.

Anyway, after reading up on the Eros and now the Droid X, I seem to be moving towards the X because of the video capabilities and the larger screen.. although I don't like the boxiness and now, from what I'm reading, the Blur ui has me somewhat concerned. On the plus side, I like the fact that it supposedly gets better reception.

Now, what will I use the phone for? It is a business phone, so Outlook Server email, Word docs, xcel docs, pdf's, etc., as well as surfing the net.
I will not need, nor do I use FB, MS or Twitter.. time wasters for me, and I can waste plenty of time on my own, thank you very much, LOL.
I owuld probably make use of Skype calls, as well, for when I go to Europe every year or two for a week or so at a time.

Knowing the applications that I will need, as well as needing, GASP, a GOOD PHONE, do you think I would be bette off with the X? Being able to watch video on a large screen while flying across the country is pretty cool, I think.. my HTC Touch can't even play youtube properly.

So, will the Incredible do all the things I need, and keep me happy without wishing the screen were larger?

Any help you guys can provide is greatly appreciated!

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Sounds like you want the X...

Just a FYI, Skype does not work on wifi....

OP
DruidX

DruidX

Reaction score
BnB, how does Skype mobile work with the phones then? I assumed it was over wifi and not via cell minute usage. Unless, it is over the internet data plan? That would be good, imho, and still would be "free", no?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, you don't want the Incredible because you can't get hold of it. And I can't recommend the X because it hasn't come out yet.

Who's to say how good the call quality is? None of us really know.

OP your best bet is to keep in mind that you have 30 days in which to return the droid if you don't like it. Try the X and if that doesn't float your boat the just get a Moto Droid. It is after all the most customizable phone on the market. And I can tell you right now that it has a good phone with it too.

OP
DruidX

DruidX

Reaction score
Thanks guys.. from what I've seen of the X, the only things I would change would be to make it a little more rounder, and to put that little kickstand on it like the Eros has.. that would be helpful when watching vids on a plane.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
BnB, how does Skype mobile work with the phones then? I assumed it was over wifi and not via cell minute usage. Unless, it is over the internet data plan? That would be good, imho, and still would be "free", no?

Skype uses mins when calling landlines and there is a charge from Skype if i am reading this correctly Skype on your Mobile - Skype, but Skype to Skype is free.

o0HERO0o

Reaction score
The Droid X hands down. I work for VZW and have had the phone to play around with for the last few days, by far the nicest phone I have used and I am the proud owner of a Motorola Droid right now. The call quality on the phone is amazing, the noise cancelling mic does an awesome job - riding down the road with the A/C full blast and the radio really loud and my brother could only hear me, same with the windows down driving down the road. Also the screen is "GINORMOUS" and very clear. I would definately choose the Droid X over the Incredible, and I have used both for several days.

OP
DruidX

DruidX

Reaction score
Thanks for the help, guys.. you make me feel good that I'm making the right decision to go with the "X". Now, if I can only start learning half of what you're talking about with all the apps and modifications that are possible, I'll be ok.

techguru

Reaction score
Just a note about Skype... Although it works really using the VZW voice network and a special pricing deal and not actually running Skype protocol over data as you would expect, there are several SIP phones on the market that will work over WiFi if you have a SIP provider. This can range from free to less than 2 cents per minute for calls and is a decent option for European travelers (although obviously only when you can find a WiFi hotspot that doesn't block SIP, many public ones do to conserve bandwidth for all users, but they would block Skype as well).

Alan

surreality

Reaction score
I'm surprised no one has covered battery life yet. Does anyone know if the X will fare better or worse than the Incredible in terms of longevity over a day?