[NEW] LG Star/ OPTIMUS 2X Shows Off it's Dual Core muscle!

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
LG Star could launch as Optimus 2X to emphasize its dual-core processor

lg-tegra-2-star.jpg

Ever since the Samsung Nexus S was officially announced, we have seen a steady stream of LG Star leaks appear on the internets. LG and Samsung are fierce competitors in Korea, so it appears that LG is trying to build up the hype for their dual-core phone to discourage potential customers from picking up the single-core Nexus S.

I’m not sure where the codename Star was first used, but when this dual-core phone hits the states it could go by the name Optimus 2X, according to a new press release from LG. We know that LG really wants to build their Optimus brand (just like Samsung is focused on the Galaxy name), so I think the odds are high that this is the final product name. The “2X” of course refers to the two 1 GHz cores found inside NVIDIA’s Tegra 2 processor.

It is a little harsh to criticize the Nexus S since it hasn’t even hit stores yet, but the three biggest complaints from the hardcore Android crowd is the lack of 4G support, lack of microSD slot, and lack of a dual-core CPU. LG will offer all of those features with the addition of a micro HDMI port and a high performance camera that can capture 1080p video. We don’t know for sure which phone will succeed with customers, but it is pretty clear on paper that LG has the better hardware. Samsung has the upper-hand with software since the Nexus S will launch with Android 2.3, but LG will also be updating their phones to Google’s latest mobile OS so that advantage might be short lived.

The LG Star is likely to launch first in Korea, but we expect to see it land on multiple U.S. carriers in early 2011. We saw that LG’s last Android phone, the Optimus One, came to MetroPCS, Sprint, T-Mobile, U.S. Cellular, and Verizon so that gives you a pretty good idea of who could carry the Star. Rumors have suggested it might appear first on T-Mobile and could be in stores around February.

Kevin Krause from Phandroid did a little digging and came up with a handful of videos showing off the Optimus 2X on YouTube. In these new videos we can see the LG phone playing back 1080p video to a big screen TV, displaying Android games on a TV, and a browser comparison with the iPhone 4 and Galaxy S.
LG has been claiming the Tegra 2 processor offers up to 2x faster web browsing and up to 5x faster gaming performance and some of these early demos are backing that up. We are still reserving judgement till we get a final unit in house to see how it stacks up, but the initial reports we have seen around the web are overwhelmingly positive.

What do you think LG’s chances of success are with the hardcore Android crowd? Can the LG Optimus brand compete with Samsung’s Galaxy lineup of devices?

[video=youtube;i96mGX0dpeg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i96mGX0dpeg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i96mGX0dpeg[/video]

[video=youtube;jupCAy1rRYs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jupCAy1rRYs[/video]

[video=youtube;rXLJ1NISQ7M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXLJ1NISQ7M[/video]

Source

Last edited by a moderator:

rybnik

Reaction score
Since there seems to be two LG Star threads going, I will re-post this here as well.
It is a Subtitled version of the leaked Israeli video from a few weeks ago. Some interesting info includes mention of the FFC for videochat. Be sure to hit the CC button on Youtube for the subtitles.
[video=youtube;3FE4qLLXj68]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FE4qLLXj68&feature=related[/video]

Jmart922

Reaction score
Minus the touchwiz theme, this phone has everything one could want, best set of leaked videos from an awesome phone I've seen to date

rybnik

Reaction score
Minus the touchwiz theme, this phone has everything one could want, best set of leaked videos from an awesome phone I've seen to date

Yep, it looks like a big winner. Only thing its missing is SAmoled display, I think it just may not need it though. It looks great in these vids.

rybnik

Reaction score

kesnik

Reaction score
I am an Droid 1 owner. I purchased the phone the day it came out so im due for a upgrade.

I will be moving to the first phone on verizon's network with Tegra 2.

LG or Moto..... Does it really matters in the end?

At this point Moto seems to be the better name in android phones but the hardware should speak for it self.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yea I like what I see from the Star. HDMI Out like some of the Galaxy S phones: What you see on the phone, you see on the screen. Your phone's display on TV.

That might be the deciding factor for me if everything else is equal or close to equal between the LG and Moto..

zodder

Reaction score
I'm anxiously waiting to see what Moto has in store before making any rash decisions. This does look like a helluva phone though!

rybnik

Reaction score
It looks much better than I originally thought and I really like the layout and all the features and the size. I just hope it shows up on Verizon's network soon...And also that it shows up intact. I believe we have only seen the Korean/European version at this point. I don't want to see it lose any of its features just so it can join Big Red....

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Your can't go wrong with this device. I think this LG handset is going to be a sleeper. It will definitely deliver the goods.

LG/Samsung/Motorola are the devices to watch in 2011.

Sent from Droid

rybnik

Reaction score
Your can't go wrong with this device. I think this LG handset is going to be a sleeper. It will definitely deliver the goods.

LG/Samsung/Motorola are the devices to watch in 2011.

Sent from Droid

So you think it will be ignored based on how poorly recieved lG cellphones have been lately? I'm not sure, I think all the publicity its getting with leaks is rapidly bringing this handset to attention, and I think good reviews all around (if that happens) would make the new Optimus a major, well known hit rather than a slow burn, word of mouth sleeper.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
So you think it will be ignored based on how poorly recieved lG cellphones have been lately? I'm not sure, I think all the publicity its getting with leaks is rapidly bringing this handset to attention, and I think good reviews all around (if that happens) would make the new Optimus a major, well known hit rather than a slow burn, word of mouth sleeper.
No I mean that when this device gets some more buzz via the blogs people will realize what a great device it really is. I think people are under estimating what a player this device really is. Why? Because it's LG.

I prefer Motorola hardware but I'm not so blind to see that this device is pretty amazing. I think the Optimus will do for LG what the Droid did for Motorola. It will put them on the map as a REAL contender. Perhaps thats what Sanjay Jha was talking about this when he said “There is a competitive dynamic developing.”

I interpreted it as the iPhone was coming, as did a lot of others, but it also could be interpreted as there is some heavy competition coming from Samsung and LG. Pure speculation of course but it is not out of the realm of possibility.