New HTC Droid DNA Smokes the LG Nexus 4 in Benchmarks Despite Nearly Identical Specs

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
droid-dna-vs-nexus-4-benchmarks.png

Some Benchmarks pitting the new HTC Droid DNA up against the LG-made Google Nexus 4 phone are available to satiate your curiosity. Oddly, even though the two phones have the exact same processor and RAM specifications, the new Droid DNA absolutely crushes the Nexus 4. Obviously, the user experience is not really affected by these benchmarks because both phones are so fast. Still, it's interesting to see the disparity between the two. Normally you would think the "pure" Android experience would be the better of the two. Here's a breakdown of the results (with pics of the results at the source link below):

• In Quadrant the Nexus 4 scored 4870 while the Droid DNA scored 8142.
  • In Smartbench the Nexus 4 scored 3171 while the Droid DNA scored 4588.
  • In Vellamo the Nexus 4 scored 954 while the Droid DNA scored 1751.
  • In AnTuTu the Nexus 4 scored 10048 while the Droid DNA scored 14537.
Could this be because HTC has done a remarkable job at optimizing Sense UI? What other reason could cause some a large difference in raw performance numbers?

Obviously, the other telling thing about this benchmark is that the new HTC Droid DNA is as fast or faster than just about any other smartphone out there, at least in static, number-crunching testing.

Does this affect your purchasing decision?

To discuss more about the new HTC Droid DNA, please check out our dedicated sister-site over at DroidDNAForum!

Source: Droid-Life

jerkwad

Reaction score
I bet it started at 100% battery life before the benchmark (only 30% left in the screenshot) lol

Plenty of reports of horrible battery life already with the DNA (as we all figured was going to happen)

dfcfu342

Reaction score
HTC could tweak the OS to push better benchmark scores. But as stated they are so fast that the user won't notice any difference in regular usage.

That battery in the DNA just kills me and is a major turn off.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it doesn't seem technically feasible to me that you could do a UI overlay and somehow get better performance than stock. As another poster said, they've jiggered the OS to game the benchmarks.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I was going to say, it appears that the N4 is either throttling, or only running one core.

Not much of a confidence builder for the N4 though, unless this was an isolated incident.

bluefire7002

Reaction score
16gig of space, only 11gb useable... this thing could put up 20k in quadrant I still wouldnt get it... :angry:

Reaction score
All the while pushing more pixels and running cooler. Definitely my next phone, don't care about battery or space. I can live with those two issues. Plus its already been unlocked.

Barkleyfan

Reaction score
All the while pushing more pixels and running cooler. Definitely my next phone, don't care about battery or space. I can live with those two issues. Plus its already been unlocked.

I can't make that fly. I work 12+ hour shifts, and I'm a supervisor. I need my phone to last, and I can't tether to electricity all day. Battery and connectivity are priorities for me.

52brandon

Reaction score
I can't make that fly. I work 12+ hour shifts, and I'm a supervisor. I need my phone to last, and I can't tether to electricity all day. Battery and connectivity are priorities for me.
spare battery?

txter

Reaction score
Right. Non-removeable battery. I think that their is a lot of reasoning with all the cloud storage now. They can leave out memory and save money on hardware by selling you on cloud storage. I guess it is an option. I want the DNA so I'm sure I'll be using my Drive and Drop box a lot more now.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I was going to say, it appears that the N4 is either throttling, or only running one core.

Not much of a confidence builder for the N4 though, unless this was an isolated incident.

This right here is what folks need to focus on....

Thermal issues with the N4? I hope that is isolated. If not.....those ppl saying "its a Nexus...it will run the same no matter who builds it" might be mistaken.. Stock Android is stock Android....but every phone manufacture doesn't build phones the same..

geoff5093

Reaction score
You can always buy one of those external charging units.
That's what I was thinking, instead of carrying around extra batteries just carry a USB portable charger in your car, backpack, or jacket.