New guy, sorta

turkeykilla

Reaction score
Got the droid when last year, then found myself in afghanistan. Was going to root my droid but didnt get a chance to before I left. I have been able to download the needed programs to root it, but am having problems selecting a decent ROM to put on there. I hear cyano*something was good, but researching has led me to want something with customizable overclocking options. Can anyone help point to a single place to get this done? Thanks in advance.

m1ghtysauc3

Reaction score
You are at the right place. If you have a Droid 1, simply go to Droid hacking>custom roms and find a rom that you prefer. There's a lot of options for the Droid 1. Most posts give instructions for proper install. Just read up good then flash away.

sent from my Liberty infused Droid 2

speedfreeq

Reaction score
First of all, thank you for your service.
Most all custom ROMs have customizable kernels using the Setcpu app. Your phone may not like a rom that works well on mine, so the best bet is to look around at the various ROMs & the experiences others have had. Then pick one & try it. Flashing a new one is pretty easy after the phone is rooted, so if you hate it, you can wipe& flash something else.
You're going to get 43 different opinions on the best rom to flash... depends on what you like.
Welcome back, & good luck!

-from my 1.1 GHz PEv4 Droid

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Welcome to D/F - we are glad to have you with us :)

vstarx

Reaction score
welcome home lots of good information here like speedfreq said you will get lots of opinions on whats good but all phones are different and work different with overclocking so you will have to try a few to see what works best with your phone

im running sourcery currently but have tried most of the others good luck in your quest

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
:welcome: to the forum. If your thinking of going with cyanogen, check out the link in my sig on overclocking. Heres a little bit from that thread:
Edit: 01/14/11 to add third methodology. Please see below.

Synopsis: Thanks to Tiago Sousa (the developer), we now have at our disposal an application that will make the flashing of alternative kernels unnecessary for overclocking and voltage selections to optimize the battery life and speed of our original Droid phones. The application is completely compatible with the SetCPU application which many of us have grown to love, and allows for on-the-fly adjustments of speed slots and voltages.

OP
T

turkeykilla

Reaction score
Just to clarify some of my reading, if I flash CM 6.1.2, I dont need to install SetCPU to adjust the speed as it is included already?

=> Hawaiian princes---how do you like the droid global? I was thinking of upgrading to it over my droid 1 when I get back to the states. any pros/cons?

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
Just to clarify some of my reading, if I flash CM 6.1.2, I dont need to install SetCPU to adjust the speed as it is included already?
CM uses the stock kernel. SetCPU is not needed for that. Mainly if you overclock is SetCPU needed.