Hello all: New here and would like phone advice

djwill13

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I actually found this site by accident. You see, I'm currently deployed in Iraq. I'll be coming home in about 2 months, and I've been searching for phones...which led me to here lol.

Before I left to come out here, I was with TMo. My contract with them will be ending as soon as I get back in the states, so provider really isn't an issue. However, selecting a phone is lol. I had the G1, which was cool at the time, but with that being the 1st android phone, there were some issues with it. Overall though, it was a decent phone.

I've done a lot of research on the current phones that are out, and I've narrowed down my list to either the Droid X or the Iphone 4 (or 5 if it goes to VZ).

I was leaning more towards the Droid X, when I found this site and found talks of the "new 2011 phones". Only problem is, I haven't been able to find anything detailing information on what the new phones that are coming out look like (or what they are for that matter). I was wondering if someone (anyone) could help me out....can you give me the names of some of the phones rumored to be coming out in 2011, or maybe even possibly a link or something? It would be GREATLY appreciated.

OP
D

djwill13

Reaction score
Look up the Olympus, Etna, LG Star, and Nexus S.

:welcome: to the forum and as a deployed soldier allow me to buy you a beer!

:pint:
Haha, thanks. A beer would be lovely right about now. Who makes the Olympus and Etna? Thanks again for the help btw.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
OP
D

djwill13

Reaction score
Motorola makes those two. The Olympus is a 3G phone locked to AT&T and the Etna is the 4G version for Verizon customers. The Olympus is due out around the end of January and the Etna the end of February.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...olympus-etna-rumors-information-pictures.html
So the Etna is the LTE version of the Olympus with VZ? Reason why I ask is, I googled "Etna" and got some sort of slider phone. Didn't impress me at all. However, I'm LOVING what I've seen and read about the Olympus since your first response. Seems like it's going to be an awesome phone.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
My understanding is the Etna is the exact same thing as the Olympus, just LTE/4G and VZW instead of 3G ATT.

However, I also remember hearing something about it not being dual core. Yay rumors! :)

I also try to stay out of those phone rumor threads because I'm reporting people left and right for flaming and attacking one another. Still, the Etna will be awesome. Personally I like the keyboard idea. ;)

USAFgunner

Reaction score
I have heard rumor that the nexus s will come to verizon in feb but idk for sure. I have an x but I just got the wife a fascinate and I really like the look and feel...its super light and its styled similar to an iphone. The screen resolution is way better than my X and the colors are brilliant. The camera its smaller than the X but it takes good pictures...stay safe bro I will be out there around june...been thinking about the droid 2 global but the lte phones should be out before I leave so I will be able to buy a sim card for it in iraq

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
D

djwill13

Reaction score
My understanding is the Etna is the exact same thing as the Olympus, just LTE/4G and VZW instead of 3G ATT.

However, I also remember hearing something about it not being dual core. Yay rumors! :)

I also try to stay out of those phone rumor threads because I'm reporting people left and right for flaming and attacking one another. Still, the Etna will be awesome. Personally I like the keyboard idea. ;)
I'll keep my eyes and ears open. At least now, I know what I'm looking for lol. Your help has been very much appreciated. I can only hope to one day be able to contribute to this forum. Again, many thanks.