new gn2 owner here. any advice for a newbie?!

bigbry13

Reaction score
Hey guys
So I made the plunge from the iphone 5 to the galaxy note 2 and it is by far the best piece of technology ive ever owned, let alone the best phone. I am not all too familiar with android, so what are some must know tips with the phone I should know. Also, is it worth rooting, and what are the benefits of rooting it? Thanks a lot guys
Bryan

stillwaiting

Reaction score
if you search the internet you can probably find a few articles about how to set up your phone the way you want and all the dos and donts off android. As far as rooting I'm not entirely sure, back when I used my D2G in the days of unlimited data, the advantages of rooting were that you could wifi tether, set up your own custom bootup screens, overclock and underclock your CPU, and of course load custom roms onto it along with loads of other things. For me, I think that a custom rom for the note 2 would be a step back in terms of performance. but thats my $.02. Anyhow welcome to the community!

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Congrats on the Note 2 Bryan and welcome aboard!

We also have a sister site dedicated to the Note 2 - Galaxy Note2 Forum - Active Topics ....as for rooting, this is a great device either way but depending on what you want to do once it is rooted is probably what will best determine if it is right for you...depending on your service provider (if you are a VZW customer, you will also need to unlock your device to flash custom ROMs)...good luck!

Reeftivo

Reaction score
If you're still exploring and not yet ready to root or flash roms, an easy addition for some more customization would be a launcher from the play store. Nova, Apex, ADW, Go Launcher. They are free with some options for pay versions for more customizing. I have Nova and just upgraded to Nova Prime and love it. imo they give you much more freedom than the stock touchwiz launcher.

Just set it as the default launcher at start up and if you dont like it you can always uninstall it. easy peazy!

grimdroid

Reaction score
Just curious, I just exchanged my DNA for the GN2, would you say the launchers are a matter of preference or would you make an argument for one over the others?

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just curious, I just exchanged my DNA for the GN2, would you say the launchers are a matter of preference or would you make an argument for one over the others?

Nova Launcher is the best. Personal preference may lead you elsewhere, there still are other good ones. However, Nova uses less ram/memory, less battery, more features, the most stable, and arguably the quickest. Nova implements actual AOSP coding in it the best too. Apex does as well, but it's just not quite up to par.

There are some cool 3D and windows phone 8 type launchers out there, though.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Skarface08

Reaction score
Go to settings scroll all the way down to about phone, tap multiple times on android 4.1.1 and a jelly bean will pop up!

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
*Daily* Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Tips & Tricks - YouTube

Spend some time on youtube and watch this guy's vidoes. I think they are great.

Good luck.

BTW, concerning the need to root: I've rooted/hacked everything I've had going back to a Nokia 7110 and I have to say the GNote2 is the closest to perfect "out-of-the-box" as any phone I've ever seen/owned. The rewards for unlocking/rooting are very minor on this device. You get to remove some bloat (big deal this phone isn't slowed down in the least by any bloat) and you get some cute themes. But it's just not a huge gain. JMHO!! and YMMV!!