New Droid X - Rooting Help

AliasXNeo

Reaction score
I've read around for about an hour now and there seems to be a lot of confusion over the last few days.

I JUST bought a new Droid X and it's running system version 2.3.151.MB810. Running "System updates" tells me there's a new update for 2.3.340, which it seems most people have at this point in time. So, should I update to 2.3.340? Will I have to eventually (or unwillingly)?

Furthermore, can I use z4root with 2.3.151 or do I need 2.3.340?

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Z4root will root 2.3.151. I'm not sure however if it does root 2.3.340 as I have not upgraded my droid X with the latest update. If you install a custom rom it will block all OTA updates. Any updates will then be incorporated into further rom updates.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Z4root can be done with either and works like a charm. I'd take the update though as most new ROMs are being built for 2.3.340. Let me know if you need help with z4 though. :)

DroidForums junkie!!

en28so

Reaction score
Take the update first, then use z4 to root. Most of the new custom roms are based on the new software update like it was mentioned earlier. That's what the experts here suggest. I did it. Anyways, your X should run smoother with the update.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

METAL MUZZLE

Reaction score
yes Z4 will root the latest update ... I just updated and rooted my Droid X about a week ago with no promblems

Sent from my DROIDX