New Droid Razr from verizon. Battery issues?

Edzilla

Reaction score
I recently upgraded my phone and signed up for a plan on black friday, scoring a free droid razr. I was really happy when I received it. It looks awesome, and runs smooth. But, once I actually put it into action at my work and such, i found that it has less battery life then my previous phone (galaxy prevail.) Considering it's a pretty marginal upgrade, I find it odd that I do not have more battery life, or even the same amount. What's the deal? Any rootings, or other tools/tricks to help me work out my battery usage? It says my display was my main battery sucker, but I reduced it from 90% to about 20% and still having problems. I also noticed that talking on the phone is using a lot more then it should. For example, just today I had 2 phone calls, totaling about 20 minutes combined, for 7% of my battery life. At that rate, 3 hours of talking would nearly take out my whole battery....

There's probably threads about this stuff already, but i'm new here. Any help or direction would be appreciated, thanks.

jaye712

Reaction score
I 2nd that..FoxKat:"youu got Thissss, mannnn"(chris tucker voice/rush hr)

215 G.I JANE/OORAHH

jaye712

Reaction score
To save foxkat some time..This will help also...

Meter calibration for Droid RAZR & RAZR MAXX..by.FOXKAT

1. Power off the phone (press and hold the Power button, then select "Power off" from the pop-up menu). 2. Plug the Stock Motorola charger into the wall outlet, then plug the Stock Motorola USB Charging cable into the Motorola charger, and finally plug the other end of the cable into the phone. 3. The phone will boot itself into the "Charge Only" mode. This is identified by first the large Red M logo, followed by a large Battery icon with a "floating" level and percentage of charge in numbers. 4. After 10 seconds or so, the display will shut off, but the charging continues. 5. Allow the charger to continue uninterrupted for 3 hours minimum (Droid RAZR), or 5.5 hours minimum (Droid RAZR MAXX). It's OK to allow it to charge overnight in this mode. The charger will shut itself off when the maximum charge has been reached so there is no fear of "overcharging" or damaging the battery/phone. 6. Once charged to 100%, you may remove the phone from the charger. To check the charge level at any time during charge, briefly tap either volume up or down and release. In about 3 seconds the display will wake and show the charge level, then after 10 seconds or so will shut down again. 7. After the initial charge to 100% with power off, power up the phone and use normally but pay attention to the battery as it nears the "Low battery" warning (Gingerbread shows at 15%, ICS shows at 10%). 8. Once the phone displays the "Low battery" warning at 15% (10% ICS), repeat steps 1 through 7.

Now you may use your phone normally. Repeat the above procedure about every 2 months for the Droid RAZR and every 2-3 months for the RAZR MAXX (more often if you are a heavy user, less often for light use).

215 G.I JANE/OORAHH

OP
Edzilla

Edzilla

Reaction score
Yeah, i've been doing this for past couple of days - I read it somewhere else. Also put on battery extender and uninstalled my Advance Task Killer app. But today, It seemed to just make things worse. 2 hours into my work day, and my battery life, I was at 60%. I just made it home tonight because I charged it in my car, during my lunch hour.

Any other ideas? Isn't there something you can switch in the network settings to make it drain less power? I was reading that somewhere too, but I could not find anything in my settings.

Any more help would be appreciated, thanks.

joshxdroid

Reaction score
Edzilla said:
Yeah, i've been doing this for past couple of days - I read it somewhere else. Also put on battery extender and uninstalled my Advance Task Killer app. But today, It seemed to just make things worse. 2 hours into my work day, and my battery life, I was at 60%. I just made it home tonight because I charged it in my car, during my lunch hour.

Any other ideas? Isn't there something you can switch in the network settings to make it drain less power? I was reading that somewhere too, but I could not find anything in my settings.

Any more help would be appreciated, thanks.

I live it a marginal signal area and my razr can really eat battery. For one you need to switch from global, to lte/cdma. Next, download "lte on/off" for thunderbolt from the play store. When you don't need the speed of 4g, go into that app and select "cdma auto (prl)" this should reduce your drain. Definitely keep the screen below 30% at least when you can. And get rid of any task killers/battery savers, they suck. Set up some smart actions. For instance. Have smart actions turn off mobile data while on Wi-Fi

Sent from my XT912 running KOA resurrection CM10 jelly bean

jp233

Reaction score
Since I assume you're in the USA, go to Settings -> Wireless and Networks ....."More...." -> Mobile Networks -> Network Mode -> Preferred network mode make sure you're on LTE/CDMA instead of Global or GSM/UMTS.

Also, after you install a bunch of Apps and stuff, and especially with a new device after it's been running on the network for a while and if you move a bunch of data files either onto the Internal phone memory or a microSD card, clearing the cache partition is a good idea.

I cleared my cache last night just before bed, and rebooted the thing of course, and I'm currently sitting on 490MB RAM used with 350MB free. Disabling a few apps can clear up some speed and save a little battery (stock OTA ICS Verizon regular ol' RAZR)

OP
Edzilla

Edzilla

Reaction score
Since I assume you're in the USA, go to Settings -> Wireless and Networks ....."More...." -> Mobile Networks -> Network Mode -> Preferred network mode make sure you're on LTE/CDMA instead of Global or GSM/UMTS.

Also, after you install a bunch of Apps and stuff, and especially with a new device after it's been running on the network for a while and if you move a bunch of data files either onto the Internal phone memory or a microSD card, clearing the cache partition is a good idea.

I cleared my cache last night just before bed, and rebooted the thing of course, and I'm currently sitting on 490MB RAM used with 350MB free. Disabling a few apps can clear up some speed and save a little battery (stock OTA ICS Verizon regular ol' RAZR)

Is there a fast way to clear all the caches? Or do i have to so it one by one?

joshxdroid

Reaction score
Is there a fast way to clear all the caches? Or do i have to so it one by one?

Boot into recovery. Power off, hold all three power and volume keys until a menu appears, scroll to recovery with volume down and select with volume up, wait until you see a droid on his back and push both volume keys together to advance to recovery menu, scroll to clear cache partition with volume keys and select with power key. Scroll to reboot, select with power key. Done.

OP
Edzilla

Edzilla

Reaction score
Thanks. Let's see if that helps.

So far, it's done slightly better.. Sitting at 20% right now, with 9.2 hours under it's belt. 3.2 hours of screen time on. I'd still like a little more juice out of this guy.

Ideally, i'd like to get through my entire work day and make it home before the 15% mark. Including music playing(not streaming) and data running @ 4g while screens on.

joshxdroid

Reaction score
I think you can probably get a little more, but that's pretty good with that much screen time

jp233

Reaction score
Screen and 4G are the battery suck. I have discovered profound battery gains with turning off data sync while the device is idle (Battery Extender smart action::: screen=off, charging=no, movement=no), and more importantly started using Wifi at home instead of 4G. The battery is MUCH better now.

jaye712

Reaction score
Josh is right,task killers do suck n u dnt need em.i had to mention that if nothin helps anymore,the phone in general is already screwed JUST frm the advanced task killer,even if u uninstall it.i had it on my 2nd new razr,spankin new n not even 4 days it made my battery life horrible, after the 6th day,my phone blacked out n had to replace it.frm what i experienced,thats the worse app i ever downloaded.Hopefully ull get more juice,do a battery train frm fox if u gotta(itll help) n yes,setting ur smartaction to turn off wifi n data,even set it to 15 seconds screen time when not in use will definitely help..disable any app u dnt use that came with the phone

#215 G.I JANE

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
Hey umm... Yesterday when I was browsing the threads I came across one to post screen shots of battery life but I can't find it? Link?