Just got the razr ....a few things I've noticed

hondabomdc5

Reaction score
So I just got the razr on Monday. Today is my 3rd full day with it. So far I like the phone alot. I came over from the Bionic. I got tires of loosing data and the camera on the bionic sucked ....plus my gf got the razr and made me jealous so I had to get it. Lol.

Things that I like about the phone are the screen size, screen clarity, how fast the phone is, the new keyboard, the design of the phone, how light the phone is.

Some things that I don't like are so far the battery life hasn't been that great. For whatever reason the android OS is using like 84% of my battery whereas on my bionic it was the other way around. Also I wish the screen would get dimmer than it is. Maybe there is an app out there where you can do that?

I have drained the battery down once and charged it while it was dead, and another time I charged it full with the device on. I haven't played around with smart actions yet BC i wanted to get some base numbers on my battery to see how much smart actions improves the battery life when I do set it up.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to how to get the screen dimmer than it goes now and how to improve my battery life and possibly reduce how much the OS sucks up my battery life. Also let me know any other suggestions and helpful hints about the razr in general that y'all have. Thanks.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

LaurelRaven

Reaction score
Screen filter is an app that I think will give you what you want for the screen brightness.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
So I just got the razr on Monday. Today is my 3rd full day with it. So far I like the phone alot. I came over from the Bionic. I got tires of loosing data and the camera on the bionic sucked ....plus my gf got the razr and made me jealous so I had to get it. Lol.

Things that I like about the phone are the screen size, screen clarity, how fast the phone is, the new keyboard, the design of the phone, how light the phone is.

Some things that I don't like are so far the battery life hasn't been that great. For whatever reason the android OS is using like 84% of my battery whereas on my bionic it was the other way around. Also I wish the screen would get dimmer than it is. Maybe there is an app out there where you can do that?

I have drained the battery down once and charged it while it was dead, and another time I charged it full with the device on. I haven't played around with smart actions yet BC i wanted to get some base numbers on my battery to see how much smart actions improves the battery life when I do set it up.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to how to get the screen dimmer than it goes now and how to improve my battery life and possibly reduce how much the OS sucks up my battery life. Also let me know any other suggestions and helpful hints about the razr in general that y'all have. Thanks.

Congrats on your new phone!! I don't know of anyway to dim the screen lower than what the internal settings already allow. About the OS percent of battery used. I experienced about the same as you except mine never got to 80+%, instead it was always around 40-45%. I had the Pro prior to the Razr and was use to seeing screen % always the highest and the OS percentage very low. I had Launcher Pro+, Screen Off FX and No Luck installed and running...the only apps I had running in the background. I uninstalled those three apps and found my OS% drop to 15-20% almost immediately. I had the same three apps installed and running on my Pro. So, a long answer to a short question...limit the number of apps that you have running in the background. It doesn't make sense to me that the same apps on the Pro caused a lower OS drain than on the Razr...but they did.

JP 5.56

Reaction score
There is a built in widget you can put on one of your home screens called 'Toggle: Power Control' which allows you to turn a few things on and off, one of the toggles on it also has 3-4 different screen brightness presets.

Smart actions will definitely improve your battery too. To give you an idea of what I am using:

Trigger:Connected to Home Wifi - Action: Ringer up 80%, Mobile Data OFF, GPS OFF
Trigger: Connected to Work Wifi - Action: Ringer Down 20%, Mobile Data OFF, GPS OFF
Trigger: Display Off, Not Charging, No Movement- Action: GPS OFF, Background Sync OFF, Mobile Data OFF,

etc etc

Zandar

Reaction score
Best thing you can do for battery life, in my experience, is run it on 3G when you don't need fast data. 4G murders battery like a coke fiend murders hookers in Taiwan. Also, only have WiFi on if you're actually using WiFi.

OP
H

hondabomdc5

Reaction score
So today I enabled data saver and have the app screen filter running to dim my screen and save battery. I want to test different things each day and see what helps. Today the battery is HORRIBLE. I'm at 4 hours off the charger and my battery is at 46%. This is really bad in my opinion. Anybody else having horrible battery life.....by the way that's with light usage......helllpppp

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
OS is WAY too high. You more than likely have an app that is keeping the phone busy. You will burn through battery with that much activity. I'd suggest you list all the apps you have installed and use

bullswife98

Reaction score
Holy cow!!! What apps do you have?! I get about 10 hrs with smart actions in place. Seriously need to go through your apps and see what's eating you alive!

Sent from my DROID RAZR

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
So today I enabled data saver and have the app screen filter running to dim my screen and save battery. I want to test different things each day and see what helps. Today the battery is HORRIBLE. I'm at 4 hours off the charger and my battery is at 46%. This is really bad in my opinion. Anybody else having horrible battery life.....by the way that's with light usage......helllpppp

For What It's Worth - Battery Saving Tips - For Any Android Phone
Let me see if I can help. Keep in mind I have no idea what apps you have installed and running or what your phone useage habits are. So with that understanding here are some tips that will help with your time between charges:
-Don't use live wallpaper...it eats battery
-turn the display down to as low as you can live with...the display, under normal conditions, will eat up the greatest amount of battery resources.
-turn your screen off to 30 sec
-If you're not actively using WiFi, Bluetooth or GPS turn them off until you need one of them.
-If you have social networking apps have them sync over WiFi only and have them sync every hour rather than every 10 minutes
-4g is great but it is a battery eater. Use CDMA only (3g) until/unless you need the 4g speed...I mean how fast do you need to download/read text messages and email?
-Task Managers, other than the one that came on your phone, usually cause more problems than they are worth and are battery drainers...recommend you get rid it.
-Recommned you .turn phone off (power off) when charging. Charge to 100% using the wall adapter.
-The darker your wallpaper the less battery resources it draws when screen is on
-Email sync...set it to as long a period between sync as you can live with...the longer the period between sync the better for battery life. Better yet, have all your non-gmail forwarded to your gmail account and let gmail "push" those emails to your phone...no battery used for that.
-Use you Task Manager (the one that came with the phone) to end task 2 minutes after screen off...most task can be set this way without interrupting your phone functions. Exception...email apps, maps, music apps while you're playing music etc.
-Some users are having great success with SmartActions. There are a number of thread on this forum discussing different setups etc...check it out
Hope these help.

Zandar

Reaction score
You definitely have a rogue app or two. Install Watchdog Lite (free) and see what's eating those CPU cycles; checking running apps to see what's in memory isn't good enough.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score

You have an app or two running in the background for sure. I experienced the same thing on my Razr the first day to two. I uninstalled LauncherPro, No Lock and Power OFF FTX and my OS percentage dropped to running routinely between 15-25%.

shizumie

Reaction score
4444bb34-501d-bdc8.jpg
4444bb34-502b-20e7.jpg

This was my 2nd initial charge n rundown. Either rougue apps r jacked phone.?
You ever get it straitened out?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

shizumie

Reaction score
Sorry for double pics?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

OP
H

hondabomdc5

Reaction score
The apps that I have are:
Angry birds
Apps2sd
Astro file manager
Audio manager
Beautiful Widgets
Bible
Can knockdown
Circle battery widget
Dragon fly
Droid forums
Facebook
Fidel io
Flashlight
Foursquare
Fruit ninja
Groupon
Lte switch
Yahoo mail
Mma junkie
Mp3 music downloaded
Netflix
Opera mini browser
Pandora
Photo bucket
Pro capture
Pulse
Quick pic
Redbook
Screen filter
Shazam
Tetris
Twitter
Wells Fargo
Words with friends

Zandar

Reaction score
I hear Words with Friends can be a real resource hog; not sure about the others.

Sliced from my RAZR