NEW DROID OTA UPDATE ALERT (still 2.1)

saobi

Reaction score
Ok. I am rooted. How do I prevent myself from running this OTA? Will it brick my phone if I ran it?

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok. I am rooted. How do I prevent myself from running this OTA? Will it brick my phone if I ran it?

If your phone has SPRecovery or ClockworkMod Recovery, then you won't have to worry about it at all b/c they block OTAs from installing without the input of the user.

saobi

Reaction score

If your phone has SPRecovery or ClockworkMod Recovery, then you won't have to worry about it at all b/c they block OTAs from installing without the input of the user.

SPRecovery blocks automatically? Yes I do have SPRecovery (the one that requires you to press 'X' while starting the phone, and can do nandroid backup/restore). So I'm all set?

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

SPRecovery blocks automatically? Yes I do have SPRecovery (the one that requires you to press 'X' while starting the phone, and can do nandroid backup/restore). So I'm all set?

Yes your all set. :)

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Late to the party. See everythings all good.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If another guinea pig is needed for another "leaked" ota, I will do it tomorrow night before I activate my replacement Droid that arrives tomorrow. Otherwise, this was a lot of fun, and glad was able to prove this does not block the ability to root again.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The funny thing; if verizon did block sbf what you gonna complain. It will be real funny calling verizon to complain about them restricting people from "modifying" their phones.
Be like calling the dvd companies for encrypting their dvds so people can not copy it. The only people who would notice the change are the people that the restrictions are meant for.

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
The funny thing; if verizon did block sbf what you gonna complain. It will be real funny calling verizon to complain about them restricting people from "modifying" their phones.
Be like calling the dvd companies for encrypting their dvds so people can not copy it. The only people who would notice the change are the people that the restrictions are meant for.

interesting point, but just shutting down an Android phone contradicts all that open-source stands for

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Also note the difference in the file sizes....:icon_eek:

yea i see that... different sizes! they're certainly not the same, as someone just reported before :icon_eek:
signed-voles-ESE81-from-ESD56.fa406da6.zip = 15mb
signed-voles-ota-29593.439b5590.zip = 69.6 mb

My phone, at this moment, while rooted on sg6.0 when I go to settings/about phone/System Updates says:
Android Update 2.1 69.6mb
Requires a restart
[download]

And if i download it does and then looks like the above again so it never actually installs and only downloads if I prompt it to.
My guess is it is an old update we already had?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
So what is the deal about droidmod and droidlife reporting that it blocks sbf. Is it believed fear. I would think that they would know to be careful about putting out info with out trying it first.