New Apps from 2.1

Ok it crashed on me so I restarted the phone. I have two Gallery icons now by the way so I replaced the shortcut to the new one and it's no longer blurry.

However I still can't figure out how when you go to the groups of photos to select just that group - it always brings them all up.

Yes you have to have root to edit anything in /system so if you're not willing to root the phone you'll have to live with having 2 galleries.

For anyone wanting Picasa Web Album integration go to settings-accounts and turn it on in there.

Last edited:
I had no trouble until I got to step 4: Install. My ._gallery.apk file is on the SD card, but when I open it with the Astro App Mgr, it gives no install option, and the Details tab says "Could not open /sdcard/._gallery.apk as APK file"

Any tips? I'm not rooted, and have no crazy apps running. Should I still be connected (mounted) to the PC when I run this? I assumed not, since you can't do both.

Edit: Never mind. I just moved the furthermost inward file, as opposed to the plain gallery.apk file. Now it works fine.

OTOH, is anyone else seeing it sit on their home screen off-kilter? It doesn't line up with the other icons in the grid.

Last edited:
Ok it crashed on me so I restarted the phone. I have two Gallery icons now by the way so I replaced the shortcut to the new one and it's no longer blurry.

However I still can't figure out how when you go to the groups of photos to select just that group - it always brings them all up.

same here after crash, 2 gallery icons but its cool i kept both. If you dont know what icon to pic just do menu and select wall paper then you will be able to pick standard gallery, camera gallery or gallery.

To remove the old gallery, (busybox required):
Code:
adb shell
$ su
# mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
# /path/to/busybox mv /system/app/Gallery.apk /system/app/Gallery.bak
# sync
# exit
$ exit

Yes you have to have root to edit anything in /system so if you're not willing to root the phone you'll have to live with having 2 galleries.

Not really, everytime you select a gallery "function" just select the new one as the default. After you go thru the normal uses of the Gallery and do this the old one will "disapear" and will not be noticed (except in the app drawer).

I had no trouble until I got to step 4: Install. My ._gallery.apk file is on the SD card, but when I open it with the Astro App Mgr, it gives no install option, and the Details tab says "Could not open /sdcard/._gallery.apk as APK file"

Any tips? I'm not rooted, and have no crazy apps running. Should I still be connected (mounted) to the PC when I run this? I assumed not, since you can't do both.

ok so you downloaded the file to your PC, then opened it and extracted it to a folder on you PC right? Then you send the file to your SD Card that is now the removeable H drive. Now unmount the drive and open up astro and look for the new file and click on it and then select apps management and install is top corner.

I just did it all from my phone in 5 minutes. Downloaded the file via the link, downloaded astro and installed. Awesome!!! Thanks

Code:
adb shell
$ su
# sync
# exit
$ exit

Ok guys I read both lnks on adb and Busybox. I unzipped Busybox and put the binary in the tools folder. As of now I'm plugged up (not mounted) with my command prompt

" C:\android-sdk-windows\tools "

At this point I'm lost on what to do next. When I type " adb shell " I just get error: device not found. Do you have to be rooted to do this. My phone is not. Just trying to get the second gallery Icon gone. :blink: Help guys.

You have to type ./adb shell

The ./ being what you're missing.

ok so you downloaded the file to your PC, then opened it and extracted it to a folder on you PC right? Then you send the file to your SD Card that is now the removeable H drive. Now unmount the drive and open up astro and look for the new file and click on it and then select apps management and install is top corner.

I edited my post; I moved the wrong file, d'oh. Thanks for the quick reply, though. I moved the folder from the .zip file too; was that needed? If not, I'll delete it out again.

just do it all from your phone... much easier. Just make sure you have astro downloaded.

Are you able to select albums by date or does it go to all pics?

same here after crash, 2 gallery icons but its cool i kept both. If you dont know what icon to pic just do menu and select wall paper then you will be able to pick standard gallery, camera gallery or gallery.

this is way cool, love how it includes the location if you have that turned on when taking the pictures.

Whats the deal with tilting the phone? Looks cool, but is there a function? or just bling bling?

I edited my post; I moved the wrong file, d'oh. Thanks for the quick reply, though. I moved the folder from the .zip file too; was that needed? If not, I'll delete it out again.

yea the only file you are moving to your droid is the apk file after its extracted, you do not need to move it there in a folder.

Can you please re-write these instructions in stupid please :)

Where do we get busybox, how do we do this... Do we need to do this?

Code:
adb shell
$ su
# sync
# exit
$ exit

Back