Never did ota

luv2increase

Reaction score
As I understand it, SBF'ing does not overwrite the bootloader. There are at least four partitions that I know of. Sytem, Boot, Cache, and User data. Boot contains the software for the different modes of booting. The bootloader(efuse) is the bootstrap portion of the phone that determines what valid kernel it can load, which makes it darn near impossible to run a custom kernel. The official OTA that is downloaded will perform the overwrite of the boatloader with the crypto keys it has to tell it the newer 2.3.15 kernel is valid. Otherwise it wouldn't load after being updated. That portion of the phone can not be overwritten without those keys, and to my knowledge the SBF does not contain them, it's just an image of the SYSTEM and the BOOT partitions. Someone chime up if I'm mistaken.

Edit- Just load the SBF into RSDlite and if it says "Boatloader Version: N / A" I would say that it does not have the boatloader in it.
Edit- I just downloaded the 2.2 Full SBF and it does not have the Bootloader in it. It is saying "Boatloader Version: N / A"

How many times does this have to be said?!? The FULL 2.2 OTA SBF that was released gives users the new 30.03 bootloader! You are thinking of the system ONLY SBF that came out over a month ago.

YOU ARE USING THE WRONG SBF. The one you should be using has a size on disk of 455.56MB. You are using the SYSTEM only SBF which has a size on disk of 293.66MB

After you flash with the FULL SBF 2.2 OTA, hold down the camera button, power button and volume down button[/b] at the same time. That puts you into bootloader mode. Read what it says at the top. It will say 30.03.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TVC430

Reaction score
I am very confused, but will stick with what I know, the 2.1 sbf or the 2.2 "System Only" for my 10.01 bootloader. Although, at this point is there any advantage to not going OTA? I have felt that I would have more options. Is their still any relevance to that after the "Full SBF" was released. I sort of feel like I don't want Moto to touch my phone any more, and possibly do more harm than good.

bigd73

Reaction score
As I understand it, SBF'ing does not overwrite the bootloader. There are at least four partitions that I know of. Sytem, Boot, Cache, and User data. Boot contains the software for the different modes of booting. The bootloader(efuse) is the bootstrap portion of the phone that determines what valid kernel it can load, which makes it darn near impossible to run a custom kernel. The official OTA that is downloaded will perform the overwrite of the boatloader with the crypto keys it has to tell it the newer 2.3.15 kernel is valid. Otherwise it wouldn't load after being updated. That portion of the phone can not be overwritten without those keys, and to my knowledge the SBF does not contain them, it's just an image of the SYSTEM and the BOOT partitions. Someone chime up if I'm mistaken.

Edit- Just load the SBF into RSDlite and if it says "Boatloader Version: N / A" I would say that it does not have the boatloader in it.
Edit- I just downloaded the 2.2 Full SBF and it does not have the Bootloader in it. It is saying "Boatloader Version: N / A"

How many times does this have to be said?!? The FULL 2.2 OTA SBF that was released gives users the new 30.03 bootloader! You are thinking of the system ONLY SBF that came out over a month ago.

YOU ARE USING THE WRONG SBF. The one you should be using has a size on disk of 455.56MB. You are using the SYSTEM only SBF which has a size on disk of 293.66MB

After you flash with the FULL SBF 2.2 OTA, hold down the camera button, power button and volume down button[/b] at the same time. That puts you into bootloader mode. Read what it says at the top. It will say 30.03.

So my question to you is why doesn't RSDlite show what Bootloader version the SBF has? I've downloaded the "Full" SBF with the file size you mentioned above of 455.56MB and it does not list the Bootloader version. Any ideas? I can't believe the software would fail to recognize what Bootloader version the SBF has if it has to write the software to the Bootstrap.

OP
L

lortay78

Reaction score

Thanks. I am going to trust you on this and delete my old 2.1 sbf file just so I don't ever accidentally use it. IT probably won't matter anyway as I too want to avoid getting any more updates from MOtor0la, and will stick with the leaks and custom "roms" available on the forums. I still have my fingers crossed for a cracked bootloader too, although it sounds like I may be the only one.