Never did ota

lortay78

Reaction score
I have never done ota. I used 2.2 sbf. Can I sbf back to 2.1? Was my bootloader changed with 2.2 sbf?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

kk4df

Reaction score
From what I understand, you can not go back to 2.1 after the 2.2 sbf. And you don't get the new bootloader by running the 2.2 sbf. I think you're stuck with what you have. I think OTA was the only way you would ever get the new bootloader.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
L

lortay78

Reaction score
I don't really, just don't want to get left behind somehow when gingerbread comes.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

TVC430

Reaction score
I thought if you do not have the OTA bootloader and using the 30.01 bootloader, you can use either the 2.2 sbf or the 2.1 sbf? Am I wrong on that?

OP
L

lortay78

Reaction score
I thought if you do not have the OTA bootloader and using the 30.01 bootloader, you can use either the 2.2 sbf or the 2.1 sbf? Am I wrong on that?

I hope not. If you find out, will you please let me know?

bigd73

Reaction score
You will be fine going back to 2.1 SBF if your bootloader is 30.01. You CANNOT go back to 2.1 if you have a newer bootloader as the bootloader is looking for a newer kernel.

TVC430

Reaction score
Ok to use the 2.1 or the 2.2 SBF if you have the 10.01 bootloader.

ArmyDude

Reaction score
There are 2 2.2 SBF's out there. One is a leak that does not include the bootloader. The other, from my understanding, is a FULL SBF. This will include the bootloader. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. Obviously, as stated above, check the bootloader you have and make sure it's the old one before SBFing back to 2.1. I don't see the purpose of going back to 2.1 is the 2.2 SBF is out, but to each his own.

TVC430

Reaction score
It was my understanding that both the 2.2 system and 2.2 full sbf was developed without the 10.03 OTA bootloader. I think the system sbf was actually developed off the 2.3.13 leak. I am confused now and that is why I am sticking to the 2.1 sbf. It is only one more step to load 2.2 after root.

luv2increase

Reaction score
It was my understanding that both the 2.2 system and 2.2 full sbf was developed without the 10.03 OTA bootloader. I think the system sbf was actually developed off the 2.3.13 leak. I am confused now and that is why I am sticking to the 2.1 sbf. It is only one more step to load 2.2 after root.

Incorrect. The full 2.2 OTA SBF flashes your phone to the latest bootloader, kernel and /system.

If you flash the full 2.2 OTA SBF, you are getting the same exact thing as if you did the update over the air from 2.1 to OTA 2.2.

danmcq

Reaction score
Incorrect. The full 2.2 OTA SBF flashes your phone to the latest bootloader, kernel and /system.

If you flash the full 2.2 OTA SBF, you are getting the same exact thing as if you did the update over the air from 2.1 to OTA 2.2.

How can a flash an older bootloader (so that I can revert back to 2.1 - I am currently running 2.2 OTA)

bigd73

Reaction score
As I understand it, SBF'ing does not overwrite the bootloader. There are at least four partitions that I know of. Sytem, Boot, Cache, and User data. Boot contains the software for the different modes of booting. The bootloader(efuse) is the bootstrap portion of the phone that determines what valid kernel it can load, which makes it darn near impossible to run a custom kernel. The official OTA that is downloaded will perform the overwrite of the boatloader with the crypto keys it has to tell it the newer 2.3.15 kernel is valid. Otherwise it wouldn't load after being updated. That portion of the phone can not be overwritten without those keys, and to my knowledge the SBF does not contain them, it's just an image of the SYSTEM and the BOOT partitions. Someone chime up if I'm mistaken.

Edit- Just load the SBF into RSDlite and if it says "Boatloader Version: N / A" I would say that it does not have the boatloader in it.
Edit- I just downloaded the 2.2 Full SBF and it does not have the Bootloader in it. It is saying "Boatloader Version: N / A"

Last edited: