Can your bootloader be changed by flashing an sbf?

TVC430

Reaction score
Is doing an OTA the only way that your bootloader can be changed?

I currently have bootloader 10.01 because I have not chosen to do the OTA from a month or two ago. I went from 2.1 to 2.3.9 leak to RubiX and then Apex ROM. Of course I currently use the 2.1 sbf when needed.

I was just wondering if a sbf's can touch the bootloader? For instance, if I were to use the 2.3.15 sbf, would it update me to 2.3.15 OTA and change my bootloader to the 10.03 version with security keys, just like doing an OTA? Or would it give me 2.3.15 stock and bootloader 10.01? Or would the 2.3.15 sbf not work because in trying to flash it, RSDLight would see that I have the 10.01 and not the matching 10.03 bootloader?

I am not planning on trying this to test it out, but I am curious about what might happen if I did.

Also, is there any possibility of using a ROM based on newer android operating system versions changing my bootloader from 10.01? Since Apex is based on 2.3.15, I am quite sure the answer is no to this, but thought I would ask the question. Thanks in advance !

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
My understanding is....if you flash a more recent SBF you will convert to a updated bootloader. And once you do you will not be able to revert back. Now this is just my opinion and I could be wrong. I grabbed the Official 2.2 OTA and I know now that I cannot go back to what it was when I was at 2.1.

I could be wrong, but I thought I would put my $.02 in:)

OP
T

TVC430

Reaction score
Thank you chkmate! It was not the answer I was expecting. I did not think that an sbf does anything to the bootloader. But that is why I am glad I asked the question!

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thank you chkmate! It was not the answer I was expecting. I did not think that an sbf does anything to the bootloader. But that is why I am glad I asked the question!

Well like I said I could be wrong. Someone may come along and challenge my response. But if they get the SBF from source then it acts like an update does, I would imagine. All I know is I cannot revert back now, so it makes sense to me.

Sorry.

c]=[k(V)8's Droid X Tapatalk

CellZealot

Reaction score
Only the official updates have the bootloader upgrades included. The new SBF files do not include the bootloaders. We only realized this recently and had always assumed they were just like the official updates.

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ahhhhh. Nice thank you! Now I know how to answer the question next time. Thanks for correcting me without making me feel like an @$$ :)

c]=[k(V)8's Droid X Tapatalk

OP
T

TVC430

Reaction score
Thank you both for helping me understand. I love this forum!

bigwebb83

Reaction score
where can I find the bootloader 2.37 sbf? My phone says bootloader d0.11 so i think I need to install a new bootloader version before it will complete the firmware flash.