Network Drops Minimizing?

bluezdawg

Reaction score
Very interesting... I live in the Boulder, Colorado area. I have been experiencing network drops like crazy (several times a day) since I purchased my phone when the Bionic was released. All of a sudden, I am no longer getting drops. Have not had one since Friday! I have enjoyed blazing fast 4g the whole weekend. Was in an area of town yesterday where 4g has been marginal, the signal was strong, no drops! I am surely not going to complain, but does make be wonder what has changed. Heck, I'm not even "Tebowing" when the Broncos win, so the big guy ain't watching over my shoulder ;-) I have done nothing to my phone over the weekend, still stock 5.5.886. Go figure. Maybe Verizon is doing some infrastructure tweaks? Anyone else noticing any differences? Or, maybe 4g works better when it's cold ;-) It's 3 degrees here today.

Was thinking about installing the leak, but maybe I'll wait. At any rate, if this continues, it will surely make waiting for the ota more bearable!
'dawg

Last edited:

rdgxray

Reaction score
I live in Redding, CA and only have 3g service. My drops continue everyday and I only have cdma turned on. I am glad other bionic owners are reporting better service. I haven't seen it personally. Come on update! :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

beltwaybob

Reaction score
I've had my bionic since September and have had nothing but trouble with data connection. I have had an on-going email conversation with vzw about this and I think they're almost to the point of offering me a different phone as replacement. So I'm trying to decide on the best phone to ask for and I've noticed that the bionic has pretty good data connection for a day or so. But, that said, if I do switch, what would you recommend I switch to (knowing they won't give me a nexus)?? Forgot to mention that Motorola said an update to try to fix the data problems would be 45 to 60 days from now.
Bob

fly2hip8

Reaction score
Interesting. I live smack dab in the middle of the US and for the past two weeks I havn't had any drops until last night I had one. But before those two weeks. I had them up to 10 drops a day. I think is a network issue not a Bionic update issue. Verizon lies once again!

jughead75

Reaction score
Very interesting... I live in the Boulder, Colorado area. I have been experiencing network drops like crazy (several times a day) since I purchased my phone when the Bionic was released. All of a sudden, I am no longer getting drops. Have not had one since Friday! I have enjoyed blazing fast 4g the whole weekend. Was in an area of town yesterday where 4g has been marginal, the signal was strong, no drops! I am surely not going to complain, but does make be wonder what has changed. Heck, I'm not even "Tebowing" when the Broncos win, so the big guy ain't watching over my shoulder ;-) I have done nothing to my phone over the weekend, still stock 5.5.886. Go figure. Maybe Verizon is doing some infrastructure tweaks? Anyone else noticing any differences? Or, maybe 4g works better when it's cold ;-) It's 3 degrees here today.

Was thinking about installing the leak, but maybe I'll wait. At any rate, if this continues, it will surely make waiting for the ota more bearable!
'dawg

3 degrees! Damn that’scold. Still mild here in Jersey and you just experienced what I did three weeksago. Problems all day with data drops then one day all is good. And that’straveling in and out of 3G/4G coverage areas every day. Transitions from one tothe other flawlessly. I have only experienced one loss which was yesterday whenI lost all data connectivity. It is the only time that pulling out the sim cardand replacing it actually cleared the trouble.

OP
bluezdawg

bluezdawg

Reaction score
I've had my bionic since September and have had nothing but trouble with data connection. I have had an on-going email conversation with vzw about this and I think they're almost to the point of offering me a different phone as replacement. So I'm trying to decide on the best phone to ask for and I've noticed that the bionic has pretty good data connection for a day or so. But, that said, if I do switch, what would you recommend I switch to (knowing they won't give me a nexus)?? Forgot to mention that Motorola said an update to try to fix the data problems would be 45 to 60 days from now.
Bob

Man, not sure what to think or say at this point. I'm as confused as ever. I keep reading folks are having drops with both Motorola and other vendor phones, so I have not totally bought into wheter it's a phone only problem. My advice would be to sit tight, as hard as it may be, till the ota comes out. You may just end up spending more money on a different phone with network drops and different problems. Just my opinion.

I truely believe that Verizon and the phone vendors are trying to shake this thing out. If this network thing and the other known fixes workout, the Bionic is a great phone.

Meanwhile, I am going to watch how the connection thing works out over the next few days and will update this thread with my observations. Best of luck.
'dawg

INCREMENTAL

Reaction score
Well I don't own a Bionic but have studied closely about it. For me it seems plain as day its VZW issue. My GF had the Razr, I live just outside of a 4G area and she would experience drops just using CDMA (3G) she had drops that would last up to 2hrs, do everything possibloe and nothing. The Tbolt, Charge, Bionic, Razr, I think even the Rezound all have had issues. I've thought about pulling the trigger on the Bionic for forever now knowing these issues cause I don't believe its the phone at all, I think its on VZWs end. Yeah they might need to send updates to every phone that's been plagued by this problem but that means its on VZWs end. I plan on buying the Nexus but I'm having concerns it will have the same issues.

I hope it gets better for u all as I may end up with a Bionic, it looks like one heck of a phone.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

rjcapp

Reaction score
I cannot really say whether or not drop outs are minimizing but what I do know is when I had the thunderbolt I had the same issues. My issue is more when you transition from wifi to 3 g. 3g to 4 g. 4 g to 3g. Blah blah blah. Both on my DB and TB.....

When I leave the house I immediately turn wifi off and usually I am good to go. I travel a lot for work so I do notice the dropouts between the different formats traveling I95.

My guess is until the entire united states is 4 g that we will always be experiencing these issues no matter what phone!
Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
bluezdawg

bluezdawg

Reaction score
WhoooHooo! Had one drop this evening, other than that, must say so far, impressed. Still great, solid 4g. Get some of the other known issues, I'll surely become a Bionic evangelist :icon_ lala:

RacingTiger03

Reaction score
The rezound doesn't have these issues to the extent of the other phones on the market. I had 2 bionics, (not even as many as some others I know) and both would drop 3g no matter what I did, until after a short outage that was likely VZW making some tower changes from what I understand, the phone would lock and hold a 3G connection, but ONLY if I locked it into CDMA ONLY. If I went to 4G/3G it would still drop data and sometimes not return without a battery and sim pull. I have NEVER had to lock my RZ into CDMA ONLY.. I still live at the same house on a 4G fringe, and it still swaps between 3g and 4G in my house on occasion. The RZ handles the transition amazingly well.

The only difference I can think of between the RZ and the bionic that I immediately noticed in the settings menu is that the RZ has a "constant on" network connection mode that "may cause faster battery drain in some areas". With this on I have had no issues :)

I'm not trying to blame the phones at all and let me make that clear. I believe it has been a struggle between software on the phones, and network issues both as VZW and the MFG of phones have worked to make real world application of LTE and CDMA work properly together. I believe some or MOST of the issues arise with SIM verification on the CDMA network, it just was not designed with that in mind. AT&T LTE probably won't have the transition issue we are having on big red, just a hypothesis, we'll see next year :). It does appear to me that the new generation of LTE phones handle this much better (RZ and Nexus)

Bob, for a condensed version of what I said, if you can talk big red into it.. get the Rezound! :) You won't regret it at all! I know I haven't!!!!

beltwaybob

Reaction score
Swap

Tiger,

I'm guessing you chose the RZ over other android phones. Do you think the RZ is a better choice than the Charge? (I'm getting close to a deal)

Bob

PurpleTwinkie

Reaction score
The Charge doesn't compare to any of the current dual core phones.

Sent from a Phone

RacingTiger03

Reaction score
Tiger,

I'm guessing you chose the RZ over other android phones. Do you think the RZ is a better choice than the Charge? (I'm getting close to a deal)

Bob

..yeah the charge is what they offered me initially. they said they couldn't UPgrade and had the charge and revo tagged as comparable phones, I explained to them how much I felt the RZ was a downgrade because of the loss of optional accessories (lapdock, HD media dock, easy HDMI out, etc) they bit lol. AFAIK all others before the bionic have had similiar issues with data connectivity, apparently it just wasn't as widespread for some reason. The rezound handles things a little differently than its predecessors, and I'm sure the nexus does as well because google wanted that phone @ 100% before release.

PurpleTwinkie

Reaction score
For the love of all that's good, DO NOT give up your Bionic for a Charge or Revo! Verizon offered me a Razr and I rejected it. The Bionic is bomb and will only get better as updates roll out. At this point I have no issues with it. Just my opinion.

Sent from a Phone

beltwaybob

Reaction score
So P-Twink, my issue is that I need my phone to do reliable email and reliable hotspot. My Bionic does neither cuz I'm in a weak signal area. So do I suffer for a month or two or switch to a ReZound which must be pretty close to the capabilities of the Bionic? I'm not exactly a power user. :eek:) I do need for it to work, though. It seems like the biggest complaint about the ReZound is battery life. I'm plugged in a good deal of the time so I'll take my chances there. I am certainly open to advice and suggestions! I appreciate everyone's help.
Bob