Need Update.zip to boot Clockwork Recovery

cscohammers7

Reaction score
Hey everyone, thanks for looking and thanks to any one that will attempt to aid me in advance. I think my problem is quite simple- I just need CWR in order to flash a ROM onto my friend's phone. I already rooted it and I've downloaded ROM Manager, etc. I pushed CWR onto his Fascinate via ODIN and everything seemed to check out. From what I understand, this method requires that you boot the stock recovery then select update.zip which will then launch Clockwork Recovery.

Here's the kicker: There is no update.zip on the root of his SD card. Fun. I've done searching high and low trying to find the file so I can manually put it on the root of the SD card and take it from there, which I believe will be the end of it. Idk WHY it's not there, but even after flashing CWR from ROM Manager no such file generates on the SD card...

My request is pretty simple then (I think) : if any one has the update.zip file that the stock recovery mode requires/searches for to flash CWR in the next step, can you post it here for me to copy? Or PM me, whatever is acceptable per forum rules.

Thanks!

mrdroid

Reaction score
Hey everyone, thanks for looking and thanks to any one that will attempt to aid me in advance. I think my problem is quite simple- I just need CWR in order to flash a ROM onto my friend's phone. I already rooted it and I've downloaded ROM Manager, etc. I pushed CWR onto his Fascinate via ODIN and everything seemed to check out. From what I understand, this method requires that you boot the stock recovery then select update.zip which will then launch Clockwork Recovery.

Here's the kicker: There is no update.zip on the root of his SD card. Fun. I've done searching high and low trying to find the file so I can manually put it on the root of the SD card and take it from there, which I believe will be the end of it. Idk WHY it's not there, but even after flashing CWR from ROM Manager no such file generates on the SD card...

My request is pretty simple then (I think) : if any one has the update.zip file that the stock recovery mode requires/searches for to flash CWR in the next step, can you post it here for me to copy? Or PM me, whatever is acceptable per forum rules.

Thanks!

You installed Clockwork via odin correct? After you do that you go into Rom Manager and select "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery", and select Fascinate. Did you do that and it's still not working?

OP
C

cscohammers7

Reaction score
Yep, I've done that (serveral times, actually). Now that you mention it, though, ROM Manager has never once given me the option to select "Fascinate" any of the times I've flashed CWR through it. Hmmm...

mrdroid

Reaction score
Yep, I've done that (serveral times, actually). Now that you mention it, though, ROM Manager has never once given me the option to select "Fascinate" any of the times I've flashed CWR through it. Hmmm...

Well... it won't show you the choice of device if:
A: it's already installed
B: you haven't flashed the CWRecovery

Have you tried re-flashing CWRecovery? Are you able to get into CWRecovery manually?

AuroEdge

Reaction score
You need to have a kernel compatible with ClockworkMod Recovery.

jdellingson7

Reaction score

Thanks!

Your Right you do need the update.zip file on the root of your sd card. PM me if your still interested or have not found the file.

OP
C

cscohammers7

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for all the help guys. I'm fairly certain I pushed CWR from Odin, but I'm gonna put the update.zip provided in the above post on the SD card in order find out for sure.