Need to RSD reflash, but had low battery, turned off and won't turn back on.

ArtosDracon

Reaction score
Here's the full story, just in case.

Used RSDLite to roll back from 2.1 to 2.0.1 so I could root, no problems.

Rooted phone yesterday with 2.0.1, no problems.

Overclocked with the help of RootHelper, no problems, used mulitple speeds.

Wifi Tethering setup, no problems.

Decided tonight to try some themes, I wanted a black notification bar, installed MM, then downloaded and used it to install a theme, now crashes and soft reboots constantly, have to pull the battery to get a hard boot so I can get into SPRecovery. Tried my Nandroid back-up from just before applying the theme, won't run, tried running my full back to stock flash with my modded factory reflash built into SPRecovery, will take, but doesn't fix anything. Decided to just re-do the RSD reflash, but after holding the up button to boot into flash mode, it says low battery and it won't allow me to flash. I leave it plugged in, hoping it can just charge while off, it however attempted to boot once the battery got a bit of a charge, shut it back off and now it won't do anything, at all. It was not in the middle of a flash or anything when I shut it off, was just off, started to boot and I shut it back off.

It is still plugged into my laptop, and the white LED on the side it lit, so it's getting power, and if I hold up and press the power button it will load into the bootloader and say low battery cannot flash, but it will not boot into anything else, can I just let it sit and charge?

Reaction score
try charging it with a wall charger not a dock, or usb cable, but the actual wall charger that came with the droid. i would type more but i need to get some sleep so ill check back at this thread in the morning and see if anybody else answered your question.

OP
A

ArtosDracon

Reaction score
Very cool, I was hoping it was just a power issue. I don't have the wall charger with me here at work, but can get it plugged in at home in about six and half hours. I'll see what I can't find here, but I doubt there'll be anything.

I know USB is limited to 500ma, does the wall charger provide more than that?

Sleep well, thanks!

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Usb ports often don't put out enough power to recharge a completely dead battery. If its dead a wall charger is your best bet. May take a couple hours on the wall, on a usb may take over 10.

OP
A

ArtosDracon

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I guess I just needed a little re-assurance that I didn't brick the thing, but I just powered it up and it didn't last long, but it functioned as well as it did prior to just going flat on me, so definitely just a DEAD battery. Really bad timing for a dead battery, but could be a lot worse, it at least didn't die in the middle of a flash. I think I'll SBF to rooted 2.1 and get OCing and tethering set back up and call it there, I'd really like a black notification bar, but I don't know that it's worth having to do this every time a theme doesn't work, not for just a black bar.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Thanks guys, I guess I just needed a little re-assurance that I didn't brick the thing, but I just powered it up and it didn't last long, but it functioned as well as it did prior to just going flat on me, so definitely just a DEAD battery. Really bad timing for a dead battery, but could be a lot worse, it at least didn't die in the middle of a flash. I think I'll SBF to rooted 2.1 and get OCing and tethering set back up and call it there, I'd really like a black notification bar, but I don't know that it's worth having to do this every time a theme doesn't work, not for just a black bar.

Bricking is almost impossible, not totally but very hard to do. As for theming the notification bar, that proven tricky on 2.1. I'm not sure if it can be done with metamorph right now. Try asking someone in the theme section about getting a black bar on 2.1 I'm sure someone can tell you how to do it.

OP
A

ArtosDracon

Reaction score
Well, just an update, did get it running again. It apparently will not charge when shut completely down, so I had to just let it sit and boot-loop for an hour on the wall charger to get enough battery to RSD reflash it. Re-rooted it, got SPRecover and Nandroid back on it, and have it back up to a rooted ESE81(thanks to pete) and with a chevy kernel for OC through SetCPU. Here's to hoping I don't have to re-do that all over again when I try and get a black status bar tonight.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
good luck, glad you got it up and running!!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk