Need Help Rooted Droid 1 Wont OC

Gunny

Reaction score
First off, hello to everyone and thanks for everyones input in advance.

I decided like much of you to root the Droid 1, no experience prior to this, so I pretty much lived and breathed this website for the last 72hrs. I have a pretty good grasp on the understanding of what does what and the programs involved I am just not to confident that I am doing them correctly.

My goal out of all of this is to OC the CPU somewhere between 800 and 1000.

THE ISSUE: I am Successfully rooted, selected ROM is installed (UD Extreme 8), ROM manager and SetCPU installed. Whenever I download and flash ANY kernel I get the infinite boot screen. I can pull battery and go into recovery and restore, but obviously without the kernel. I am positive I am downloading 2.2 kernels (Chevy/P3droid) and I have tried to install through both Orangeworks and SPRecovery (yes, renamed it "update" w/o the .zip)

Some will probably tell me that this is a VERY redundant post and for that I am sorry, however, I have tried everything I have searched with no prevail.

I appreciate everyones help.

My Setup
Droid 1
Ver. 2.2
Baseband C_01.43.01P
Kernel Ver. 2.6.32.9-g103d848 (android-build@apa26#1)
Build # FRG22D

cloudstrife05

Reaction score
Best advise I can give is what was given to me. I had the same problems. If you have 2.2, your stock kernel should run at about 800 max. If you want a faster kernel, start slow and try a custom kernel that goes to about 1ghz.
If that works, try 1.1...etc

Every phone will act differently so if you cant get that 1.25ghz Kernel without a bootloop, thats all you phone can handle. I'm' maxed out at 1.1 myself, and honestly my phone runs great at 1.1

BTW, i'm running UD8.0 with Chevy's 1-1.1 LV Kernel

OP
G

Gunny

Reaction score
I am going to be the first to say it, I wasnt paying attention and put this thread in the wrong forum. . . my bad. I am trying to figure out how to move it or delete it.

OP
G

Gunny

Reaction score
Appreciate the quick response cloudstrife05. I agree on the speeds and I dont plan on going above 1000, but I am maxed at 600 right now. I installed BB v0.4 the other day and its OC'd at 800 out the gate so I know the cpu can do it. I have tried both Chevys and P3droids kernels (ml, lv, ulv) ranging from 125/250 to 1000/1250. No luck though. My worry is if I didnt install something correctly from the initial root???

Im grasping at straws.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I'll move this to the rescue squad. I see you've tried multiple kernels. How are you installing them? Rom manager? Clockwork? Sprecovery? I've installed kernels with sprecovery that were too much for my droid and put me into bootloops but if you've tried that many and still get nothing but bootloops I'm thinking it's your method of installation causing it.

P.S. :welcome: to the forum!! :p

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Gunny, in your initial post
THE ISSUE: I am Successfully rooted,
What process did you use to root?

selected ROM is installed (UD Extreme 8), ROM manager and SetCPU installed. Whenever I download and flash ANY kernel I get the infinite boot screen. I can pull battery and go into recovery and restore, but obviously without the kernel. I am positive I am downloading 2.2 kernels (Chevy/P3droid) and I have tried to install through both Orangeworks and SPRecovery (yes, renamed it "update" w/o the .zip)
If you are using SPR to install a rom, kernel, or theme then the file must be renamed to "update.zip" Things to check for a successful install --- make sure there is only one ".zip" in the file extension. Make sure the update.zip is on the root of the SD card and not in a folder

Hope this helps

OP
G

Gunny

Reaction score
mwhartman - I am used Guide to Rooting 2.2 for Windows on the androidfourum.com website. When I install with SPRecovery I do rename the file "Update" not "Update.zip" and is placed in the root of the SD card, however when I install via Orangeclock Works my understanding is that I can simply use ROM Manager and select it from the folders listed. I also understand that when flashing a kernel you do not need to format or wipe the partition. If I have misunderstood these above statements I would appreciate the correction.

I am going to try starting low mhz on the kernels and working my way up, I'll keep the thread posted.

Thanks again to everyones input, couldnt have gotten nearly as far as I have if it wasnt for the members here

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification, Gunny! I'm not familiar with the guide you used but I'm rather sure that if you use SPR to install a rom, theme, or kernel it must have the .zip file extension.

I have Rom Manager so that I can help answer questions as part of the rescue squad. I believe that when installing a rom, theme, or kernel you have two options. You can select a rom, theme, or kernel and let Rom Manager download then install or you can download place the file on your SD card and select install from SD card. I'm not positive but I believe that if you choose the install from SD card option the file needs the .zip extension as well.

After you install a rom and wish to add a kernel or theme you do not need to wipe data or cache.

Hope this is helpful.

Mike

OP
G

Gunny

Reaction score
Here is a cut and paste of the process I used.

1.) Download 2.1 SP Recovery sbf to your C: root directory (C:\)
2.) Download md5sum
3.) Place md5sum in c:\windows\system32
4.) Download in install RSDLite 4.6 for this file you may need an un-zip tool like WIN RAR
5.) Download and install the correct motorola drivers for your windows machine (32 for XP, 32 or 64 for Vista depending on Vista version)
Current Motorola Drivers
6.) Run command prompt (Start->Run then type "cmd" and hit enter)
7.) Change directories to your C:\ root directory (cd c:\)
8.) Type in "md5sum SPRecovery_ESE81.sbf"
9) Make sure the sum of the image is EXACTLY 9b6a336cd8f067d4487935468c758d89
10.) Connect phone via USB and reboot, while rebooting hold UP on the dpad
11.) Run RSD Lite 4.6
12.) Select the SPRecovery 2.1 SBF file
13.) Click Start and wait for RSD Lite to flash the SPRecovery image onto phone and then wait on phone to reboot.
16.) Your phone will boot now boot up and tell you that your battery is dead. Just pull the battery out.
17.) Put the battery back in and hold X while powering on your droid.
18.) Download a rom check the roms forum for roms. If you use one of the following roms you can skip steps 24 and 25 FRG01B FRG22D thanks to Pete
19.) Back on the phone go to mount options. (Note you can use the volume rocker to navigate and the camera button to select.)
20. Then press Enable USB Mass storage
21.) Place the file in the root of your sdcard.(Not in any folder just on the sd card.)
22.) Rename the rom to update.zip. Be sure that you are only naming it update.zip. Windows often does not show file extensions and you will end up with files named update.zip.zip.
23.) Then Disable USB Mass Storage
24.) Wipe data/factory reset
25.) Wipe Cache Partition
26.) Click on install
27.) Press allow update.zip Installation
28.) Press Install /sdcard/update.zip (deprecated)
29.) When the install is complete use the power button to go back to the main menu
30.) Reboot

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
It is very similar to the one that we suggest. If you look at step 22 you will note the reference to renaming to update.zip with just one ".zip" extension.

Using SPR, I've install several roms using the same steps 19 through 30. The only recommendation I have, make a backup before step 24. A solid backup can save you hours of frustration and work. Select Advance Nandrod backup, press camera, select name (open slider and use keyboard to enter a name then press return) select backup then proceed.

Mike

OP
G

Gunny

Reaction score
Here is exactly what I am doing, anybody can interject if you see an issue. . .

Rooted phone, ROM Ultimate Droid Extreme 8, Perfect Smoke Glass theme

1. Downloaded ChevyNo1-1.1Ghz-LV-7slot-update for froyo 2.2 onto PC
2. USB transfered to Droid and placed in root on SD card (top level/not in folder)
3. Close mass storage on Droid
4. Open ROM Manager (Clockwork is current flash)
5. Select ChevyNo1-1.1Ghz-LV-7slot-update and install

Once the system comes to the boot screen I get the cycling Motorola logo

I have even tried this process in SPRecovery and renamed the file "Update" and still same result.

I know I am doing one simple thing wrong - I just dont know where :(

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Gunny, when you tried with SPR did you add the .zip?

OP
G

Gunny

Reaction score
no just "update", my understanding is windows will add the .zip identifier for you