Need advice on screen skins

Moondoggy

Reaction score
I have not even received my Incredible but I'm trying to determine the value of clear skin screens. I've read about Clear Coat, Sinomi and other "wet" skin screen protectors and I've also read a review on another web site that said that HTC screens do not require screen skins because of the special glass used and that screen skins are a waste of money. Can I get people to weigh in on this topic? On one hand I don't mind paying for a bit of protection if it's required to keep the device scratch free but I keep my phones in leather belt cases when not in use so I'm only intested in the issue of screen protection. I've read some reviews that talk about the "orange peel" look of some of these skins and that the phone doesn't have the same feel as it does without the screen skin. If protection is recommened can i get people to weigh in on which brand is better? It appears that Clear Coat gets the nod for being the quickest and perhaps easiest to install but that doesn't make the the best either. Any and all advice and opinions are appreciated.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
gorilla glass - same on the incredible as the droid

[video=youtube;H4qJHNIiXow]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4qJHNIiXow]YouTube - Motorola Droid A855 Key Scratch Test[/video]

OP
Moondoggy

Moondoggy

Reaction score
gorilla glass - same on the incredible as the droid

Wow! The video was Incredible! I'm glad I checked because the salesman at my local Verizon Corporate Store insisted that if I didn't buy one up front I would be back to for a sceeen skin in a few days. Based on what I saw, the skin would certainly not hurt but would certainly be a rip off. Thanks!

OP
Moondoggy

Moondoggy

Reaction score
Perhaps I spoke too soon......

After answering the last post I wanted more info on Gorilla Glass so I did some additional reasearch and based on the number of threads I read, it looks like the person who orinionally said that the Incredible had Gorilla Glass had it wrong.. Many have stated that the the glass surface of their Incredibles does scratch so we may be back to the orginal question of whether or not a surface skin is needed for a phone that will be inside a leather case for the most part and if so what skin is the best.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
There are tons of threads on screen protectors. You need to determine if you want to use one or not.

As mentioned in every thread I've run across:

Gorilla Glass is scratch resistant. It is not, however, unscratchable. Search if you want details.

Key tests are meaningless as keys are not harder than glass.

If protection is recommened can i get people to weigh in on which brand is better?
Better is always subjective, regardless of topic. As I said, there are a lot of existing threads on screen protectors. Read up and see what sounds like it will suit you best.

Personally, I prefer the Steinheil Crystal. IMO it's as close as it gets to the look and feel of bare glass. YMMV.

Last edited:
OP
Moondoggy

Moondoggy

Reaction score
Thanks for the info but a few questions......

I'm still confused over this Gorilla Glass issue. I was reading a LOT of forum sites regarding Gorilla Glass and most sites I've come across seem to indicate that whomever said that the Incredible had Gorilla Glass didn't have their facts correct but how can one be sure?

In regard to what screen protector is "better" I'm going to use the following criteria. Clarity - when applied you cannot or have a VERY hard time detemining that it's on. Feel - Has the same or nearly the same feel as naked glass. Ease of Installation - Must be easy to install - no bubbles, no fingerprints, pretty much idiot proof. Quick setup time - Requires minimal time to "set" so the phone can be used.

I've read several posts on other forums that say that Steinheil is good but many suggest that Siedio is better. Many also talk about Clear Coat. Just wanted to know what others think.

we_suffer

Reaction score

I had a ZAGG invisibleSHIELD for my 80gb Zune and was very pleased with its ability to protect the screen. I did a key scratch test (though admittedly not all that hard) and it didn't mar the screen protector. My only complaint was it gave the viewing screen a "bumpy" looking texture at certain angles and if my hands were cold from being outside it would sometimes not recognize my touch.

jvrac do you know if you still have to use that weird spray to apply their protectors?

Also I myself am curious as to whether or not anyone has any tips on how to apply the screen protectors without getting air bubbles between it and the screen? Every time I tried reapplying my invisibleSHIELD to my Zune it seemed there would always be just one air bubble in the middle of the screen, not small enough to be unnoticeable but just big enough to drive me batty.

Last edited:

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ease of Installation - Must be easy to install - no bubbles, no fingerprints, pretty much idiot proof.
I don't know of any that are idiot proof. The ones applied with liquid are definitely ones you should avoid then (unless you pay for an install).

The Zagg military grade covers are the only way to go.
Again, highly subjective. I liked the Invisible Shield but it doesn't have the glass-like feel or clarity of the Steinheil Crystal.

jvrac do you know if you still have to use that weird spray to apply their protectors?
Instructions are on their site:
ZAGG | Application Instructions

Every time I tried reapplying my invisibleSHIELD to my Zune it seemed there would always be just one air bubble in the middle of the screen, not small enough to be unnoticeable but just big enough to drive me batty.
Could be dust. I don't recommend reapplying the IS. It tends to stretch when you remove it. Reapplication always makes things worse in my experience. Same goes for the Steinheil. I tried to remove some dust only to end up with even more dust and edges that wouldn't stay put.

With a clean environment, clean hands and careful use of the application liquid you should be in pretty good shape. Carefully squeegee the big bubbles but it's not unusual to have some small bubbles but they should work themselves out.

Last edited:

we_suffer

Reaction score
With a clean environment, clean hands and careful use of the application liquid you should be in pretty good shape. Carefully squeegee the big bubbles but it's not unusual to have some small bubbles but they should work themselves out.

I swear to you I won't see any dust around for days. The moment I go to apply a screen protector it suddenly becomes D Day with dust. Dust coming at me from every damn direction.

Also I cannot get the darn things on evenly and centered to save my life. :(

Reaction score
All I can say is that I have owned Zagg and Best Skins Ever in the past. Zagg is better than BSE but more expensive. My most recent purchase in February was with Stealth Guard Protectors. With them I get the same military grade protection as with Zagg (seems even better) but at a MUCH lower price of $9.99 for two full body skins. I'm sticking with Stealth Guard Protectors for now. I know people say you don't NEED it, but what's it gonna hurt?

Detonation

Reaction score
Zagg is not a bad brand, but I would definitely not say its the only way to go. Its understandable if the only protector like this you've ever used was the zagg (which is likely because they seem like the "name brand", marketed protector), but being a person who buys a lot of electronic devices, I've had the chance to try out a lot of different brands - zagg, bestskinsever, clear protector, body guardz, and phantom skinz.

Clear Protector is my current winner. Smooth, good protection, and good price. Zagg has good protection but is very rubbery and very overpriced. BSE is pretty much just like Zagg but a little more rubbery and much cheaper. Body Guardz is smooth and priced well, but the protector gets marked up over time. Phantom Skinz is smooth, but that's about it.

Always look for coupon codes before buying these. ClearProtector has a 50% coupon ("MILITARY") thats been out there for about a year now.