Need Advice on a Tricky Situation

MisterDroid

Reaction score
OK, long story short: I pre-ordered the SGS3 on June 25, and it will ship by July 12, this coming Thursday. I get to keep unlimited data.
For various embarrassing reasons, the money I had on June 25 is no longer available (I thought VZW would charge my account when I pre-ordered, but apparently that doesn't happen until the phone ships).
There's enough money in the account to cover the phone when it ships, but then I'll be broke until payday, July 20th, Friday after next.
Now, I could cancel the order and not get charged, then just buy the phone on payday, but I lose unlimited data.
OR I could keep the phone and just scrape by until payday.

But I'm wondering if there is another way...bear with me. How does this strategy sound?
1) I let the phone ship this week, don't open or activate it,
2) Take it to a VZW store and trade it for something free or cheap, like a bionic or Razr,
3) Keep that phone in the box a week or so until payday, then go back and trade IT in for the SGS3

Will that work to let me keep unlimited? Am I facing two restock charges? Will VZW even do two exchanges?
So many things I don't know.

Or is there some other strategy that hasn't occurred to me? The goals are to get the SGS3, keep unlimited data, and not be broke from the SGS3's ship date until July 20.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Call verizon and explain your situation. Ask them to bill it to your account. You will be surprised at what they are willing to do.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

OP
M

MisterDroid

Reaction score
Call verizon and explain your situation. Ask them to bill it to your account. You will be surprised at what they are willing to do.

That didn't occur to me. The only reason I put it on my debit card was because they wouldn't let me bill the pre-order to my account. However, it is certainly worth a try. Thanks!

OP
M

MisterDroid

Reaction score

Turns out I was not surprised. They said no.
I never seem to get the same CS agents as other folks on this board, who make exceptions and find discounts and expedite shipping and so on. Oh, well.
So I still have my original problem, and my original strategy...does anyone have any input on it? Thanks!

vatothe0

Reaction score
You can only do one exchange and even exchanging after the cutoff well lose unlimited data.

They weren't able to change your billing option because you're order is already in the queue. To make a change to your order, you have to cancel and reorder.