Nandroid questions

mmead1143

Reaction score
Okay so I've googled some question's I've had, and being a noob, can't find the answer. Any help is appreicated!!

I understand the basics of rooting and Nandroid. In fact my D1 is rooted with CM7.

I use Titanium Backup which has worked fine but my thinking is that Nandroid would be a faster way to restore my system since it's on my device and I don't have to worry about 3G data transfer rates.

I understand that a Nandroid backup is a snapshot of your system, data, settings etc. Let's say I completely screwed up my phone and wanted to reset it. Does the Nandroid backup include my CM7 rom? So if I went to restore the phone and the rom itself was screwed up, would I boot into recovery and simply run the Nandroid backup? Or would I have to reload CM7, and THEN run the Nandroid backup to fully restore the system?

This may be basic but I'm just wondering if the Nandroid backup also includes a snapshot of the rom...

Does that make sense? lol thanks!!

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
A nandroid is an exact image of your phone at that exact time. If you create a nandroid when you are running CM7, then when you reload it, it will be CM7, exactly from the time you made it.

OP
M

mmead1143

Reaction score
A nandroid is an exact image of your phone at that exact time. If you create a nandroid when you are running CM7, then when you reload it, it will be CM7, exactly from the time you made it.

PERFECT!! this rooting thing gets better and better lmao!!

Thanks a ton!!

OP
M

mmead1143

Reaction score
So if I wanted to try the new nightly for CM7, I could run it and if it either didn't take, or I didn't like it, or somehow it just didn't work...I wouldn't have to reload CM7, run Titanium backup and go through all the settings again.

I could simply boot into recovery, run my last Nandroid backup (assuming I made it before screwing around with the above nightly) and it'd restore my phone, settings, rom etc to my last backup. This would obviously take a LOT less time and I wouldn't have to worry about any specific settings, cpu controls, etc. being different than before.

Thanks again...just looking for confirmation.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You would actually use nandroid restore, to restore the backup, but yes that's how it works.

Also for a quick how to backup lesson, check the 2nd link in my signature.

Sent from my A855, while on the move.