Nandroid restore

dennyjones

Reaction score
Before my phone crashed and everything was working great, I did a Nandroid backup. I tried to install a rom and screwed up and now I've had to revert back to stock 2.2 non-root. After I root my phone can I restore the Nandroid backup I save previously? It would save me a lot of work.

DennyJones
Davison

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
yep. if it was on 2.2 OTA and u restore it on 2.2 OTA, you should be fine

OP
dennyjones

dennyjones

Reaction score
restore nandroid backup

I was hoping this would be easy but alas...I downloaded and installed the Droid X Bootstrapper but when I try to execute the Bootstrap Recovery I get the following error.

Failure
Error running exec()
Command:[su, -c,./data/data/com.koushikdutta.droidx.bootstrap/files/surunner.sh]Working Directory:null Environment:null

Any ideas?

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
just to keep it on the threads so other people can see

dennyjones said:
Abe21599 said:
what do you mean execute? when you flash the bootstrap, you power down and when powering back on, u hold home and it should boot into recovery.

That's what I thought too. When I boot into system recovery, I only get four options, not back up / restore nandroid. I'm also seeing an error.

E: Can't open /cache/recovery/command.

I may not be rooted. When I tried to root using the one click root for windows using doroot, it failed. But I do have a wifi hotspot!

that error is common on DXs.

dennyjones said:
When I try to apply sdcar:update.zip, here's what I see:

E: CAn't open /cache/recovery/command

--install from sdcard..
.finding update package..
..opening update package..
Verifying update package..
E: failed to open /sdcard/update.zip (No such file or directory)
E: signature verification failed
Installation aborted

its not finding the proper file. is it on the root? named update.zip and not update.zip.zip?

dennyjones said:
Last night I did run RSD Lite after four attempts to get it to work and when it was close to finishing, it just stopped and said to power up the phone, which was already powered up. Something may have went amiss then.

I'm very grateful for any and all help you can supply. Currently the phone works like a stock Dx but I have a wifi hotspot and cant make or retrieve a nandroid backup

Denny

try rerooting and installing bootstrap/clockwork to restore a backup u made

if you have any more questions, feel free to post in on here.

OP
dennyjones

dennyjones

Reaction score
I can't find an update.zip anywhere on the sd card. I searched the entire card and there isn't a file called update.zip. I searched for all .zip files along with update.zip, update.zip.zip.

I don't think I can proceed without that. I can't try to root again without it, correct?

Last edited:

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
it NEEDS to be on the root of the sdcard. just download it again and put it on there.

OP
dennyjones

dennyjones

Reaction score
Thank you

Once I download the update.zip file and put it in the root directory and rooted the phone, I was able to restore my phone to where it was before the crash. Thank God for backups!

I found this one-click root and it worked great once I copied the update.zip file to the root directory. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ting-solution-droid-thread-latest-v1-8ra.html

I really appreciate your help and the time you've taken to help me. If you are ever around my neck of the woods, lunch is on me. :)

Last edited:

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
thats for teh Droid 1 but glad it worked for the DX lol

but no problem :)

xliderider

Reaction score
I have a question regarding nandroid restores and the X relating to the bootloader.

Since the X bootloader is locked, when I do a nandroid restore, is it ok to do a full restore, which will restore the bootloader and all, as long as it is OTA 2.2 to OTA 2.2 with a theme? I have been playing it safe and doing an advanced restore and only restoring the system files and not doing a full restore which would restore the bootloader file(s).