Status
Not open for further replies.

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
Yeah, so my Nexus ended up being free due to some technical fluke, or more than likely, human error.

I upgraded through Best Buy because they allow you to pay with PayPal, and I utilize their BillMeLater services. So naturally I used this so I could get my Nexus ASAP, planned to pay it off with my income tax return. So I order the phone, and my only option is in-store pickup. No big deal, the closest Best Buy is like 5 minutes away. I anxiously wait for the email confirming that my phone is ready to be picked up. It takes about 30 minutes to receive the email, and as you can imagine, I bolt out the door when I do get it. I get down there and the guys working Best Buy mobile seem unfamiliar with the in-store pickup process, but one of them gets me my phone and sends me on my way. I opted to set it up at home online myself, as I had some phone switching to do for my brother.

So now I have my beautiful Nexus in hand, but for the last week I had still been getting emails telling me to go pick up my order. I already picked up, so I just ignore it, figuring it's some mistake. But today, I get an email from both PayPal and Best Buy. PayPal tells me Best Buy sent me a refund of $317. Best Buy tells me that my order has been cancelled and I am being refunded. Sooooo, due to some type of error, I received this beautiful phone for free. Now some of you may think, "You should probably be honest and tell them about the mistake." But think, would you do that if you were in the same situation? Ha ha ha.

Has anyone else had any similar experiences?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I have a feeling this will come back to bite you in the butt. Don't be surprised if you see a charge for $317 on your next billing statement

OP
xDMONEYx

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
That may be true, which is why I am not going to spend that money just in case. But if you think about it, if it has gone this far, my transaction is probably already long gone into their sea of orders.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
That may be true, which is why I am not going to spend that money just in case. But if you think about it, if it has gone this far, my transaction is probably already long gone into their sea of orders.
True, but a Nexus is not small item like a pair of earbuds. If you don't get caught, congrats you got a free Nexus, but an item worth as much full retail as a Nexus, I think you'll be hearing from Best Buy.

If somehow this thread stays open (cause all I see it is going offtopic and pointing fingers), then let us know. Your days are numbered with your "free" phone imo. You can also get into some serious trouble by accepting the phone without proper payment, you may also be costing that employee's job.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Unlikely, the phone will probably be flagged once it hasn't been paid for. They'll check inventory before the next month and see that they've only been paid for a specific amount and then send the payment transaction again.

Not 100%, but seen stuff like this happen before.

OP
xDMONEYx

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
Ha ha, I'll let everyone know how it goes. If it stays open. Or not, if I get arrested. :p Even though payment will be made if the error is caught.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Heh, think it's unlikely you'll get in trouble, it wasn't your fault obviously. Just rather point out the most probable outcome of the situation.

But I wish you luck, free is always good=P

OP
xDMONEYx

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
Well I was just wondering if, since I picked it up so quickly, and maybe the guy forgot to enter that I picked it up, is it possible that the order was filled and prepped again by someone else? If that were the case, the phone I got will simply be lost, in theory. They probably wouldn't be able to tell where it went. Think of all the Nexus's they have probably sold in just the last week alone.

slyestwun10

Reaction score
I would suggest u delete this thread...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Well I was just wondering if, since I picked it up so quickly, and maybe the guy forgot to enter that I picked it up, is it possible that the order was filled and prepped again by someone else? If that were the case, the phone I got will simply be lost, in theory. They probably wouldn't be able to tell where it went. Think of all the Nexus's they have probably sold in just the last week alone.
Again, for the smaller retail items they may just claim it as lost, but for a phone that retails full price for about $650 (please correct me if i'm wrong) they'll go through every sale for the month. You're already in their system because you placed an order, for store pickup, and theoretically canceled it, regardless your info is in their system. They should be able to trace it back to you, but if you want to see how long you can keep it for free then by all means go for it. I don't know if they got a signup sheet for taking inventory out or not as I've never worked retail, but I assure you there will be some shaking up of employees if they find out the person who handed it to you without following proper procedure (they'll think it's an inside job and fire him on the spot). I doubt you'll get into serious trouble (guess I just tried to scare ya to do the right thing), but don't be surprised if you get a call from them or see a charge on your bill by the end of the month.

Last edited:
OP
xDMONEYx

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
Ha ha, well I think I'd like to take the advice slyestwun10 up there and delete this thread. Am I able to do that myself? Or must it be done by someone of high power in the forums?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I'll let a mod know

edit: Looks like one found their way in here already:D

OP
xDMONEYx

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
Thank you very much kind sir, and thank you for your input as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.