My worst nightmare happened today!!

modette

Reaction score
If I've got a 2 year commitment on my phone, 555-5555, and I have to pay 70/mo (40 for phone and 30 for data) and I pick up a new phone (444-4444) and add it as a family plan I can drop my original number and dataplan and only pay 10 extra a month and transfer the dataplan to the new line? If it works, great for the customer.

No, all you're doing is adding another line to your account so you can get a discounted phone, no extra data plans or anything, just a dummy line/number so you can get the subsidized phone cost. You still have to pay for that extra line for 2 years, but $440 over 2 years beats $600 all at once, and you get a brand new phone

Or you can pay $350 ETF which is cheaper then the $440...maybe even less as it goes down $10 a month. Then just get a new phone.

OP
PhontomF

PhontomF

Reaction score
Motorola or Verizon will also probably repair the phone for cheaper than a used ebay phone. Ask them and let us know.

While searching for a replacement screen I did come across this. An official looking parts list

Also, I found this site. They do repair work for 59 bucks then have a parts list too.
portaTronics®

Nice find. From that part list I guess I would need number 4 - Gasket/Display

I would say item #1 is what you need. The display seems to be working still... just the glass is broken. I'm no expert though.

Yeah think you're right

dbmet

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me. Took mine to a local Verizon store and told the tech I dropped it with my case on and I asked if they had any refurbished Droids I could purchase. The tech said yes for 50 bucks. I didn't have insurance so I jumped at it.. Could be worth a phone call or just stopping in to ask..

Last edited:

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Nice find. From that part list I guess I would need number 4 - Gasket/Display

I would say item #1 is what you need. The display seems to be working still... just the glass is broken. I'm no expert though.

Yeah think you're right
+1
...if only it had prices. but...call verizon tonight, tell them the screen shattered, ask how much to repair it if you send it in...then let us know:)

tacdusty

Reaction score
OP
PhontomF

PhontomF

Reaction score
I went to the Verizon store today and they said they couldn't do anything and I would need to get it repaired through Motorola. So he gave me a number to call and Motorola told me it would be a $75 flat fee to get it repaired. Not too bad but then we got disconnected and I didn't get the details of how it would work. I already ordered a new phone on ebay for $400 but I will still get this phone repaired and sell it eventually.

wsidesoups

Reaction score
heres my Motorola experience

Motorola Fixes
i am going to chime in here about Motorola. this is my first post so feel free to give me the f-u, good now that it is over here it is.

I broke my front glass. i have no idea how it was in my pocket when i pulled it out to answer the glass was cracked whatever. i call motorola to tell them i need to ship it to them to be fixed,at my cost because it was obviously "abuse", after all the arrangements are made the phone is shipped, two days later the phone is at my door with a note in the box that read this is out of warranty due to "abuse" but we can fix it for $75 (which is what the tech guy told me hence the reason i sent it to them). A NOTE! not a call or email or anything they had the phone! then another long conversation with "customer service" another trip to fed ex to send it back... see a pattern yet? got it back in the mail today after all that they sent another note (see above) and red arrow stickers pointing at the cracks. another call ect. basically customer service has no idea why they cant fix it. what kind of company is this? i like the android platform as much as the next guy but to put up with this is maddening.

i put that in another thread but it applies here too
good luck

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Motorola Fixes
i am going to chime in here about Motorola. this is my first post so feel free to give me the f-u, good now that it is over here it is.

I broke my front glass. i have no idea how it was in my pocket when i pulled it out to answer the glass was cracked whatever. i call motorola to tell them i need to ship it to them to be fixed,at my cost because it was obviously "abuse", after all the arrangements are made the phone is shipped, two days later the phone is at my door with a note in the box that read this is out of warranty due to "abuse" but we can fix it for $75 (which is what the tech guy told me hence the reason i sent it to them). A NOTE! not a call or email or anything they had the phone! then another long conversation with "customer service" another trip to fed ex to send it back... see a pattern yet? got it back in the mail today after all that they sent another note (see above) and red arrow stickers pointing at the cracks. another call ect. basically customer service has no idea why they cant fix it. what kind of company is this? i like the android platform as much as the next guy but to put up with this is maddening.

good luck

no fu for you...maybe for those on the other end of the phone though. Sometimes us, as customers, gotta do things we shouldn't have to do as customers, but gotta do so we can get done what needs doing.

Call again, tell them this has happened twice. Tell them you need to put some sort of contact info in a note in the box explaining all this so someone on the tech/repair team can make a call so it doesn't happen again. (ie: do not ship back with a broken screen. Call this Verizon/motorala dept with this customer service note number for further instructions)

Another alternative is tell customer service you need them, or a manager, or a manager's manager to track down where this item went. You know where it got shipped. There should be some sort of info you sent in, they should be able to track it so they can communicate to the tech/repair team what's going on.

See..first posts don't always get flamed. It ain't so scary in here...welcome to the forums! I feel your frustration, good luck.

Reaction score
Does the touch sensor still work? I've seen loads of iPhone ppl with working cracked screens

Yep, the touch sensor is on a pretty tough membrane.

Hang in there, OP. I've been talking to a Motorola engineer and suppliers from China. One of my guys has said "eff it, I'm commissioning a knockoff."

The Motorola engineer told me broken glass is actually covered under their warranty; however, when sending it to Motorola they keep sending it back saying "we can fix it for $75," which is what he wanted in the first place.

See if following this link at least gets you started in the right direction and please let us know.

Service Locator - Motorola USA

As long as the thing still works,

spillner

Reaction score
Motorola Fixes

good luck

This reminds me of the time Verizon was charging me roaming charges because I was too close to Canada. My phone was using their tower instead of the tower in the States. I tried to explain the problem to customer service and they refused to listen, stating "their is no way we can confirm your claim". The woman was so arrogant that it made me want to throw their phone out the window. I told her this "Ok Miss, I want you to do me a favor, stand up in your cubicle, turn around, keep turning till you see you see the office on the wall. The one with the huge glass window over looking the rest of the cubicles, it'll have somthing on the door like 'superviser' or 'manager', I want to talk to that guy" 10 minutes later I had the charges removed, as well as his direct line if I had the problem again.

wsidesoups

Reaction score
no luck

linebacker i tried that site link before that is how i got the ball rolling but it hit a wall. "customer service" is looking into the problem but because it is a weekend i wont know until Monday at the earliest. it is amazing how a communication company doesn't talk to one another.

wsidesoups

Reaction score
oh ya apparently massachusetts can pull a politician out of every bar but no motorola service in this state.

OP
PhontomF

PhontomF

Reaction score
Motorola Fixes

good luck

Man that's just ridiculous. Thanks for the warning. I would be really furious if that happened to me. Please make sure you post back if you get it fixed for $75 and what you had to do to make sure it got done at the repair center.

Reaction score
oh ya apparently massachusetts can pull a politician out of every bar but no motorola service in this state.

Same for DC, MD, VA, PA, WV. Our attempts to contact Motorola to see how I can help by repairing phones for them (whether as a Service center or whatever) are meeting with the same indifference. We're right near Washington DC and Baltimore and we're already the most well known cell phone repair shop in both areas so I'd like to think I'm a great candidate to be their representative in the DC area.

I pretty much had my heart set on a Droid but I'm reconsidering until I communicate more with Motorola directly (or I exhaust all avenues and get fed up). As someone said, it's a great phone but without great support it will die an untimely death.

Stay tuned. There are already lots of great people with this phone and if nothing else, the biggest cell phone parts importer in the US is commissioning a knockoff (they're called hi-copy now lol) and I'll be able to repair with those shortly.

Keeping my fingers crossed!