My worst nightmare happened today!!

PhontomF

Reaction score
Here's a word of caution; don't leave your Droid in your unzipped coat pocket and close the car door with the droid in the way or this will happen to you as well. I feel sick right now.

Is there any way to replace the screen yourself?? I have no insurance so looks like they are going for like $400 on ebay. Oh man this sucks!! :mad::mad::mad:

At least the phone still seems to work perfect until I get a new one.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Some people have claimed to replace the screen, but I think it's all bunk....

I'm sorry to hear and see of your loss...

If you're on the family plan, you can add another line to your account to get an new phone, it'll cost you $200 immediately, and $240 over 2 years, but it beats $600 new in box. You may even be able to score a backup, what with all the promos happening right now.

droid d'oh

Reaction score
Does the touch sensor still work? I've seen loads of iPhone ppl with working cracked screens

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Real sorry to hear that. Man that really bites. Good luck on the replacement.

OP
PhontomF

PhontomF

Reaction score
Man, that is just painful to look at. Poor little Droid. :unsure: Well, the Gorilla Glass for the Droid is made by Corning, maybe you'd have some luck with them....

And they're only $25.00 on Wirefly.com now.

Welcome to our Wireless World

Yeah thats $25 with a 2 year contract. Don't need another one of those :icon_eek:

If you're on the family plan, you can add another line to your account to get an new phone, it'll cost you $200 immediately, and $240 over 2 years, but it beats $600 new in box. You may even be able to score a backup, what with all the promos happening right now.

No family plan will probably just have to bite the bullet and buy a new one

Does the touch sensor still work? I've seen loads of iPhone ppl with working cracked screens

Yeah the touch screen still seems to work perfect even in the area toward the speaker where it really got smashed up. But there's no way could I live with it like this permanently.

bd1212

Reaction score
That is the most cool looking broken glass pic of the Droid I've EVER seen.

JCo352

Reaction score
Man that sucks, you're the second person today with pics of a smashed droid, and no insurance.

mills

Reaction score
The display itself still displays. Is it just the outer glass cover that's busted? HOw easily is that replaced?

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

The Droid requires a $30r data plan for each phone on the family plan. 30x24 comes to $720 + the 240 for the extra phone on the family plan so that's $960. Get a phone on sale for 40 bucks and its an even $1000. More if you want insurance in case you slam the phone in a car door.

for PhontomF:
If the phone works you can keep it as is until you find a cheaper replacement.

ebay trick: search for mispelt werds. "motorla droid", "motorola drod" and the like. Less bidders sometimes. good luck and sorry to see what happeed to you.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
The Droid requires a $30r data plan for each phone on the family plan. 30x24 comes to $720 + the 240 for the extra phone on the family plan so that's $960. Get a phone on sale for 40 bucks and its an even $1000. More if you want insurance in case you slam the phone in a car door.

Just to clarify, he would use the extra line to get the phone at a discounted price, and then activate it on his own line. He wouldnt need to pay for an extra data plan since his extra line would be tied to a dummy number and a dummy phone. This is how I got my Droid.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Just to clarify, he would use the extra line to get the phone at a discounted price, and then activate it on his own line. He wouldnt need to pay for an extra data plan since his extra line would be tied to a dummy number and a dummy phone. This is how I got my Droid.

If I've got a 2 year commitment on my phone, 555-5555, and I have to pay 70/mo (40 for phone and 30 for data) and I pick up a new phone (444-4444) and add it as a family plan I can drop my original number and dataplan and only pay 10 extra a month and transfer the dataplan to the new line? If it works, great for the customer.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
If I've got a 2 year commitment on my phone, 555-5555, and I have to pay 70/mo (40 for phone and 30 for data) and I pick up a new phone (444-4444) and add it as a family plan I can drop my original number and dataplan and only pay 10 extra a month and transfer the dataplan to the new line? If it works, great for the customer.

No, all you're doing is adding another line to your account so you can get a discounted phone, no extra data plans or anything, just a dummy line/number so you can get the subsidized phone cost. You still have to pay for that extra line for 2 years, but $440 over 2 years beats $600 all at once, and you get a brand new phone

CTownDroid

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
We added a line to our family plan to get the buy one get one deal, put the voyager on the new line, then gave grandma our Voyager, which we had just replaced one week prior. Now she has a reliable cell and we still have a brand new (warranty replaced) backup for whatever.