My Razr is acting like it's getting sick...

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Hey all. So I need a some big help and advice here. I had a Droid1 for over 2 years and upgraded... I got my Razr about 3 or 4 weeks ago and it has been the most smooth, snappy, and problem free device I have ever had. It is so fast, apps install in no time, and I have hardly ever gotten any FC or errors. I rooted my device, but only to toss a few ringtones on the system, and other than that I did not do anything nor use any root apps. (now it is unrooted just to see if that was the issue, no change in performance)

1. All of a sudden it has been acting like it's getting sick. Three days ago I had it plugged in to my USB at work to charge it and as I was leaving for lunch I unplugged it and ran out the door. I then realized that it was hardly responsive at all. The screen was super laggy and almost frozen at times. I could use the screen-off button, but when i would turn it back on it would act frozen for a while then be really really laggy. Sometimes even a long press of the screen-off button wouldnt even bring up my power menu. I did a force reboot. After rebooting, same deal, it was awful. After a few more reboots finally it was acting 100% again...

2. The next day, like many, I got that sim card error which has no effect on me cause I only have 3G in my area. However, I was in my car and as I got out I unplugged my Razr and the same thing happened. It froze up, acted super laggy, and just gave me a hard time for a while. Reboots and such. Took a little while 'till it began acting fine again. Then it was perfect all day.

3. This morning I woke up, put on headphones and listened to music for a while. I then plugged in my phone to charge before work. I unplugged it a while later and walked away and again noticed it was laggy. Half frozen. I had to reboot and such. After rebooting my launcher was crashing, then the system crashed. Again, after some rebooting adn annoyances it is back to working perfectly.

I just can't deal with this. I wanted a phone that works all the time (mostly since my old hacked Droid1 was full of FC's and constant errors - but that was a dang old phone). I don't understand why it was working so great for so long and now does this to me 3 days in a row. Also, this might be coincidence, but if I am right it seems to take effect right after I unplug it from a charger? Odd but who knows? I don't quite know what to do. I feel like I might grab everything from my internal memory, root it again and delete the ringtones I added, then head over to Verizon to see if I can get another or something... I just don't like dealing with them treating me like I am an idiot. Help?..........

jaseq

Reaction score
Dude that sucks...
not really sure what ur problem might be but it seems like something might have gone wrong when u rooted it yo add ringtones.
my suggestion would be to try a factory reset and avoid rooting, besides u only did it to add ringtones, which by the way can be done without rooting. Simply plug into USB open phones internal folder (not SD card) and create a new folder and name it ringtones, then just drag and drop into it.

Good luck.

OP
icculusX

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Yea I know I could have, I guess I just wanted them on the system as I always had been doing. I rooted in hopes of waiting for recovery and roms in the near future because I have been hacking for years... but this is annoying me... Maybe I'll just have to try a reset, hate that though cause all my app data, what would happen to it? (I sound like a noob cause it's been quite a while)

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
As you know icc, rooting/ringtones shouldn't have any effect and definitely not be causing what you're dealing with. I also believe the sim card error was just a coincidence as that was happening across the board this week.

From my view, it's clearly related to the charging you're doing. So I guess to narrow it down...
  • are you using the factory usb cable to charge?
  • it looks like 2 out of the 3 instances were NOT plugged into a wall - was the 3rd time in a wall?

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'll just have to try a reset, hate that though cause all my app data, what would happen to it? (I sound like a noob cause it's been quite a while)

reroot and use Titanium or App Manager (jrummy's) or My Backup Pro to backup the apps PLUS the data...

OP
icculusX

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
jntdroid - Thanks a lot man. Yea, one was a car charger, the other was usb charger, and the one today was my wall charger. I believe they all are from my old Droid1 but I am not sure. I never had issues with my D1 chargers nor on x-brand ones on my old phone. I will think about this.

Secondly, I might just re-root, titanium backup, delete those added ringtones, and then do a factory reset and see what happens... I am just so annoyed. I wanted to not worry about this kind of thing this month with all that is going on in my life (holidays, applying to graduate school, just so busy ya know)

Thanks for the thoughts...

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well I know the Bionic is REAL finicky if you don't use the cable/charger that came with it. I would think another Moto would work, but maybe not? I'm sure backing up / resetting will work too, though.