Foxfi requiring reboot to work...what gives?!

tundra9

Reaction score
***I posted this on another thread but got really no feedback at all so i figure i would start it as its own thread***

Okay when i use Foxfi after the latest update on my (Verizon) Droid Razr (ICS), It works initially on a fresh boot, but if my wifi gets disconnected or drops, when i try to then re-initiate Foxfi as a hotspot, i get the Wifi error "Wifi Mode has failed on your phone. Please use Bluetooth mode instead". If i reboot my phone and change the network name, it WILL work again until the above happens... I have to rinse and repeat this process over and over pretty much everytime i want to use Foxfi and hotspot my razr to my tablet (nexus 7). This gets REALLy frustrating...

I have tried various things to fix this to no avail:

-"Fast Reboot" app
-renaming network
-disconnect / reconnect network
-turn off / on wifi
-try bluetooth
-uninstall / reinstall latest Foxfi
-installed Foxfi supplemental app
-installed PDAnet
-turned on / off / on USB debugging
-wished upon a star
-sacrificed a goat

NOTHING has worked...i still MUST reboot my phone and rename the network every time i wish to have foxfi hotspot work on my razr. Does anyone have ANY other possible solutions to this problem? Foxfi seems to recognize this as an issue but seems to brush it off like rebooting is no big deal. I suppose if i used foxfi to connect a stationary device like a laptop or computer this would not be a big deal, but i use it on the go while traveling with a tablet and often times lose my data connection and subsequently wifi. I would just like to discover a way to have Foxfi run my Razr as a hotspot anytime while disconnecting and reconnecting whenever i want all day without having to reboot...Any ideas?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Its an issue lots of people have.. but vzw is supposedly being made to stop blocking these apps... then they'll throttle our data.

Even the hotspot hack while rooted, is slow and clumsy... that's all the info I've got.. sorry.

Benjr061

Reaction score
I'm having same issue with Droid 4 on Jellybean. The instructions above to reboot and change name did get me back on.

xtor

Reaction score
94lt1 said:
Its an issue lots of people have.. but vzw is supposedly being made to stop blocking these apps... then they'll throttle our data.

Even the hotspot hack while rooted, is slow and clumsy... that's all the info I've got.. sorry.

I thought vzw doesn't throttle data on 4g?, if you pay for hotspot on unlimited plan, can they throttle you?

point of origin

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I've never had a problem with Foxfi up until the most recent updates. With in the last two months the app does not hold a connection for very long and I only get max speeds of 360kbps. I usually get speeds well in to the 10Mbps.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2