My Problems

lkevinl

Reaction score
1. Touch Tone volume is too low. I tried all of the other tricks like using other audio managers and increased system volume and it does go up, but it is still incredibly low. I think the sound is coming through the ear phone, but you don't dial with the thing up to your ear! Any suggestions that work?

2. Any way to have vertical scrolling in the App drawer other than using a third party launcher?

3. None of the home switchers seem to work allowing you to clear default and go back to the moto home launcher. You have to uninstall the third party launchers to go back to default

4. Why do some of my apps auto download and restore with my google account and others do not. I'm probably missing about 40 apps or so that didn't not restore. They were installed through market on my OG droid.

5. Not really an issue with the droid bionic, but the Verizon screen protector which supposedly is anti-glare, makes screen look like crap. It's kind of a matte protector rather than glossy. Are there better protectors out there yet?

6. A matter of opinion, but I don't understand why if Verizon is pushing these red and black colors to symbolize the Droid brand, why the notification bar and the dialer themed with that cheesy bluish look? Any way to change?

That's it for now! Thanks in advance as always...

Rockgate

Reaction score
I can only help on #5. I recently had a Droid X and started with the antiglare and hated it. Verizon finally had available the glossy screen protectors. The Droid X and Bionic screens " the portion which everything is viewed" is the same size so I stuck on an extra Droid X protector and it covers the visible portion of the screen with about a 1mm overlap past the edge of the "visible" screen. It is about 1/8th in away from the bevel.

ChristianB

Reaction score
4. Why do some of my apps auto download and restore with my google account and others do not. I'm probably missing about 40 apps or so that didn't not restore. They were installed through market on my OG droid.

From my experience it seems that the apps you pay for are reinstalled automatically when you update to a new device, but the market doesn't seem to give the same respect to any free apps you have installed.

That is what I think the difference is.

OP
lkevinl

lkevinl

Reaction score
I can only help on #5. I recently had a Droid X and started with the antiglare and hated it. Verizon finally had available the glossy screen protectors. The Droid X and Bionic screens " the portion which everything is viewed" is the same size so I stuck on an extra Droid X protector and it covers the visible portion of the screen with about a 1mm overlap past the edge of the "visible" screen. It is about 1/8th in away from the bevel.

Went to back to the VZW store and took back the crappy case I got. It was the double soft+hard case. This case covers the notification LED!!! So when I was there, I asked if they had the non-anti-glare screen protector for the Bionic and they do. Bought, installed, MUCH BETTER!

The anti-glare screen protector diffuses light to achieve the anti-glare effect but that means that it diffuses the light coming from the LCD which makes it look like CRAP! Glossy screen protector looks and feels great. Highly recommend it.

OP
lkevinl

lkevinl

Reaction score
From my experience it seems that the apps you pay for are reinstalled automatically when you update to a new device, but the market doesn't seem to give the same respect to any free apps you have installed.

That is what I think the difference is.

I agree with all of that. I wish this were consistent for all apps or you could access a list of apps you've downloaded at least. I have to go through my OG droid to make sure I've restored everything now!

pilot12

Reaction score
I agree with all of that. I wish this were consistent for all apps or you could access a list of apps you've downloaded at least. I have to go through my OG droid to make sure I've restored everything now!

I only had about 20% of my apps automatically restore. I only had one paid app so that wasn't the difference for me. I had to do the one at time method, using my OG Droid for a pattern, but it didn't take long w/ 4G.

I did notice though, that a couple apps weren't available in the market and some others were entirely different versions. I'm thinking some of my old apps aren't compatible with Bionic for some reason. I compared with a friend's Dx and we have different versions of a "Radar Now" app and neither of us could find an update.

I still don't know why I didn't get auto restored on most apps though. It was a good way to make sure I didn't end up with anything I didn't use anymore; there's already plenty of bloatware.

Low Saturn

Reaction score
1. Touch Tone volume is too low. I tried all of the other tricks like using other audio managers and increased system volume and it does go up, but it is still incredibly low. I think the sound is coming through the ear phone, but you don't dial with the thing up to your ear! Any suggestions that work?

I have no touch tone volume. You're talking about the phone dialer keypad right? In the sounds settings, I have the option for it selected and still nothing.

JayMonster

Reaction score
1. There is no adjustment for the keypad dialer volume.

2. Unfortunately no, it seems Moto took a page from TouchWiz and decided to mimic the stupid side to side pattern. Doesn't matter to me because the launcher is downright awful and the first thing I changed was to install LauncherPro, even before I had walked out of the VZW store.

3. This is a function of Moto and how they handle their launcher. Doesn't make any sense to me, but it was true with my X as well. I could switch between alternative launchers all day, but not back to the stock launcher (not that I ever really wanted to, but did note it was missing as an option).

4. That is as good a mystery as it gets. There doesn't appear to be a rhyme or reason to what will reinstall and what wont. At least not that I have found yet. (This also isn't a Bionic issue as it happens many phones, and not even all Motorola).

5. I stopped using screen protectors all together as I found all of them annoying. Haven't found them to be all that useful, but as you note, they can certainly detract from the experience.

6. The Motorola Application Program UI is blue. It was on the DroidX (Gingerbread), the Droid X2, the Droid 3 and the Droid Bionic. It has nothing to do with VZW, and cannot be user changed (without a custom ROM). I happen to like the blue, and the black titlebar is much better than the old white one. To each their own I guess.

Low Saturn

Reaction score

I may be incorrect, but under sound settings there is listing for "Audible Touch Tones" under it, it says "Play tones when using dial pad"

Weather I have it selected or not selected, I get no sounds when using the dial pad. Might not be able to adjust its volume like on the original Droid, but on my Bionic, I cant turn it on at all.

JayMonster

Reaction score
Odd

I am the opposite, in testing this, no matter how hard I try I cannot (other than turning it on/off) change the volume. But the on/off works fine (for me).

Batman8

Reaction score

I have the same issue with my Bionic but was wondering if the 2.3.4 OS has anything to do with it? Meaning, maybe some apps don't run/install well over the most current version of Gingerbread...just a thought.

OP
lkevinl

lkevinl

Reaction score

If you download one of the third party audio managers in the marketplace, you can adjust an item called System Volume. This item directly affected the touch tone volume for me. However it only adjust it from completely muted up to very faint.

I used an app called Sound Manager. Any luck with this using other settings?

I noticed that the other Motorola and Samsung phones seems to have similar issues with touch tone volume but the HTC and LG phones did not... their touch tones were nice and loud.

capt46wfd

Reaction score
My dial pad volume was fine until yesterday. Same thing today; no volume. Barely audible if you hold it up to your ear. Used audio manager to up the system volume. Dial pad is audible now, but not full volume. Something happened with these phones.