My Power Button stopped working on my Razr Maxx

thebeeobee

Reaction score
My Power Button stopped working on my Razr Maxx [update: fixed w/ reset thanks!]

Hi guys,

Just a few minutes ago I was at a restaurant and I couldn't get the screen to turn back on. The power button "feels" right, just like it always has, but it isn't waking up the screen.

As soon as I got home I plugged it in to the charger, which activates the screen. The volume rockers still work 100% but the power button is doing nothing.

CURIOUS, what options do I have? Is there a way to make the volume keys act as the power button? Should i take it apart and try to repair it somehow?

Any help and advice would be very appreciated! Thank you!

Bob

YellowJacket

Reaction score
I would not try to repair it myself.

Did you purchase the insurance when you got it?

How long have you had it?

Is there a local Verizon store with a service center near you? If so, I'd take it there first and see if they can fix it. At least they should tell you before they do any work.

David

OP
T

thebeeobee

Reaction score
I would not try to repair it myself.

Did you purchase the insurance when you got it?

How long have you had it?

Is there a local Verizon store with a service center near you? If so, I'd take it there first and see if they can fix it. At least they should tell you before they do any work.

David

Thanks David,

I purchased it in July and I did NOT get the insurance. I'm heading over to moto's site to find out some info about repair centers, etc. The phone has been flawless until this point. The power button was always pretty safe due to the Cruzerlite case sticking out further, and I didn't drop it or anything. Hmm...

Anyway, I'll post an update when Moto lets me know what I can do (I bought the phone at best buy, so I'm not sure Verizon can help me?).

Still wondering if there is a software solution to allow the volume rocker to unlock the phone possibly (as long as I don't let the charge run out, i can still use it).

Thanks again.

xxwabbit

Reaction score
Have you tried holding down the power button and volume down or up (I forgot which one) at the same time to see if it will reset the phone? Won't hurt to try.

OP
T

thebeeobee

Reaction score
Have you tried holding down the power button and volume down or up (I forgot which one) at the same time to see if it will reset the phone? Won't hurt to try.

I tried it and finally got it to reset and now the button works again. What would cause a button not to work?

Thank you!

xxwabbit

Reaction score
That's a good question for someone that knows more than I do. Glad you got it working again!!

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I tried it and finally got it to reset and now the button works again. What would cause a button not to work?

Thank you!

Pocket Lint?
If it does it again this app MIGHT be a work around. I've got it on my HTC devices but can't speak for any others.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=it.android.smartscreenonlite#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDIxMiwiaXQuYW5kcm9pZC5zbWFydHNjcmVlbm9ubGl0ZSJd

Support Our Troops! !!!
<><
From a Beano

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Static electricity, lint, lots if things...

The cold air, mixed with going in and out of your pocket could cause a static charge...

Also remember to turn your device off once in a while... it will keep things running smoother.