My Personal Droid Bionic 3-part Review: Part II

kdwisdom

Reaction score
Swype Test (click here) <-- This video shows how Swype works. This is a great tool for typing. It is fast, it is accurate: IT WORKS! You have a QWERTY keyboard but you "Swype" your finger across the screen in one successive motion per word and for punctuation you slide from the character you desire (! . or ?) to the spacebar and it automatically goes to the next word. If any of you want, I can record a more extensive video and try to help you understand. Its great, because if it doesn't know a word you are using, you just type it out, highlight it and click the 'Swype" button (lower left hand corner of screen) and it adds it to the dictionary. Then it knows when you do that combination of letters to add that word. This works for smiley faces and other things you may want to 'Swype'. I have found this to be an immense improvement over the stand-alone, on-screen QWERTY keyboard. This greatly increased both the speed and accuracy, making it a joy for me to type on my phone again. with my OG Droid 1 I lost some of the excitement I was used to having when typing on my phone. This is the best thing since T9 typing and I approve of it!

The Camera:

The camera is decent, it isn't the best but it is definitely not the worst. The outdoor pictures are the best quality but with some practice you can learn the touch to getting better pictures indoors.

Here are some pictures I took while driving so you can get an idea of how well it does in that kind of motion:

Here is my favorite picture, I took this one up close and it got some cool macro action by making the can stand out and the background fade:

Here is a video of me in the car with the front facing VGA camera, not bad! (Note: having trouble getting video to upload, no Wi-Fi nearby so I'll try to get this up later with a Youtube link)

These next 3 pictures show some CPU/Memory/Video test speeds and compare them with other devices. Its above the Xoom, which is a tablet and this confirms to me that the speediness/zippiness I feel when using this phone is not just assumed, it is true reality that this phone is a beast of speed that Motorola/Verizon did a good job of unleashing the speed of.

E-mail & Browsing: E-mail is great, the POP e-mail app has been greatly improved and is closer in functionality and dependability to the more preferred by Google's G-mail. Gmail is great, has a great looking interface, it is zippy and has all the functions you've come to expect out of G-mail: ease of use, access to all e-mails you have stored, and has your contacts stored.

3G Speed Test:

I was amazed with this speed test as I was only on 3G running a test from a server in Seattle where I got 2 megabits download and over 1 megabit download. I can't wait till I have 4G because the 3G on this phone runs so much more quickly than my previous phone did!

A nerdy note about 4G: Remember how AT&T made the big fuss about having voice and data available with dual-access? (Meaning when you are talking on the phone you can get an e-mail or surf the web?) Well, if you are in a 4G area then when you are on the phone, the voice will go over 3G and the data will come through on 4G, making it possible to e-mail and talk simultaneously.

These functions are all great. I have not been able to get a 4G test yet as I have not made it to Olympia to run the test but I have high hopes for it.

I hope this blog helps you understand some of the basic features and capabilities and, ultimately, helps you decide to buy this phone because it is the best out there!

Kyle

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what's worse, the review or knowing that someone actually drinks diet mountain dew.

OP
K

kdwisdom

Reaction score
Hey man, no reason to be rude about it. I more so did it for my friends here at home but copied it here to participate in the forums. It is informative and discusses the basic functions that not everyone may no. So if you have a problem, keep it to yourself. Thank you.:angry:

I'm not sure what's worse, the review or knowing that someone actually drinks diet mountain dew.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'll be nicer. The majority of your "review" was explaining what Swype is, which has been around for 2 years. You're not testing in 4g LTE areas. You're showing benchmarks that we've seen before multiple times that have no real world value.

It's just not necessary, I'm usually not rude, but since everyone else acts this way, I figured I should join in on the fun.

OP
K

kdwisdom

Reaction score
Necessary or not it was fun for me to do it. yes, the majority of my review was on Swype. I got my Droid 1 before Swype was available so I had never gotten to use it, which a lot of other people are on the same boat, so don't hate ;). And so what if the benchmarks have been shown at other places, they are neat and show how they compare with other devices, I wanted to do the research and just work with these things.

Anyway, Diet Mountain Dew is amazing :)
I'll be nicer. The majority of your "review" was explaining what Swype is, which has been around for 2 years. You're not testing in 4g LTE areas. You're showing benchmarks that we've seen before multiple times that have no real world value.

It's just not necessary, I'm usually not rude, but since everyone else acts this way, I figured I should join in on the fun.