My Eris feels like a slow computer

jhart15063

Reaction score
i know ill probably get ripped a new bumhole for this but have you tried ATK?
i use it on my eris to shut down things that i open that i know i dont need running. i.e. the eris browser will stay open running in the background, i use snesoid and that will run in the background sometimes. just kill the things you open and dont use all of the time. and DONT use the kill all or autokill feature.
and make sure you kill ATK when you're done too. let me know if this helps.

mountaineerndixie

Reaction score
I had the same issues after i went to 2.1 (i actually stopped making calls if they werent in my contact list because dialing ten numbers was impossible) and after trying everything I could think of, I used my upgrade option and got a Moto Droid. I couldn't be happier.

I use my Eris as a test phone now.

~ Transmitted via Motorola Droid 2.1 ~

R5D4

Reaction score
I'm glad I found this thread...I haven't even bothered looking online for a while because I've given up on the Eris. I've gotten to the point where I just accept the ridiculous slowness and move on. The dialing...texting...general lagginess between screens, opening up apps, etc is SO bad.

I have been thinking about going back to the Verizon store, but that's going to be worthless I'm sure. I don't even know if I want to try another Eris, but I can't buy another new phone 6 months after getting this brand new one.

Very frustrating stuff.

I am deleting all my text messages now...see if that helps.

Thanks everyone for listening and posting.

rtb

Reaction score
Sorry to bump this but yeah this phone sucks...

Tillmorn

Reaction score

Hey now, my Eris is still doing good. Granted it can't run Angry Birds, but hey, that's what I'm getting a Nook Color for. $200 for a decent tablet? yes please.

One of the biggest things I've realized is that you cannot load the Eris up with a bunch of apps that run in the background. It'll slow things down beyond usability. Also...clear your text messages regularly. I've reset my phone half a dozen times (before rooting and flashing a rom) due to a large build-up of texts that made my phone run like a Windows Millennium pc trying to run Crysis if you will.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score

Hey now, my Eris is still doing good. Granted it can't run Angry Birds, but hey, that's what I'm getting a Nook Color for. $200 for a decent tablet? yes please.

One of the biggest things I've realized is that you cannot load the Eris up with a bunch of apps that run in the background. It'll slow things down beyond usability. Also...clear your text messages regularly. I've reset my phone half a dozen times (before rooting and flashing a rom) due to a large build-up of texts that made my phone run like a Windows Millennium pc trying to run Crysis if you will.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ht...is-faster-smoother-increase-battery-life.html

Read it. Do it. Learn to love your Eris! Granted with the slew of new phones coming out over the coming months, and my contract running up in August, I only have 5 more months for this little phone. But I haven't had nearly the frustration levels of many here. After the 2.1 upgrade things got dicey. A factory reset helped with that, but the posted link really got my Eris going. I love this little phone considering I paid $25 for it ($49 buy one get one free for my wife and I). My wife is claiming she is going to keep hers past the end of her contract!!

Tillmorn

Reaction score

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ht...is-faster-smoother-increase-battery-life.html

Read it. Do it. Learn to love your Eris! Granted with the slew of new phones coming out over the coming months, and my contract running up in August, I only have 5 more months for this little phone. But I haven't had nearly the frustration levels of many here. After the 2.1 upgrade things got dicey. A factory reset helped with that, but the posted link really got my Eris going. I love this little phone considering I paid $25 for it ($49 buy one get one free for my wife and I). My wife is claiming she is going to keep hers past the end of her contract!!

I've actually done all of those things, and it's what keeps me from being on the hype wagon concerning new phones with the rest of the crowd. Everything runs a heck of a lot smoother now, and there's an overall snappy feel that my Eris didn't even have when brand new.

I could upgrade now as it were, but I'm probably going to wait until August or whenever our contract is actually up for a couple of reasons. 1) To get off my family's two year plan and hop on a 1-year contract by myself. 2) Price drops in phones like the tbolt/x2/inc2/bionic.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score

I've actually done all of those things, and it's what keeps me from being on the hype wagon concerning new phones with the rest of the crowd. Everything runs a heck of a lot smoother now, and there's an overall snappy feel that my Eris didn't even have when brand new.

I could upgrade now as it were, but I'm probably going to wait until August or whenever our contract is actually up for a couple of reasons. 1) To get off my family's two year plan and hop on a 1-year contract by myself. 2) Price drops in phones like the tbolt/x2/inc2/bionic.

Good points all. The pricing is going to get a lot better as the year goes on.

Also, the smartphone market reminds me a bit of the PC market of the early and mid 90s. If you bought a PC you could expect it be obsolete within a year.