[GUIDE] Root and flash Android 2.2 Froyo on your Eris!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsuh

Reaction score
I've seen several requests of how to root and flash Froyo, and although help has been provided, it seems people are still somewhat confused with what to do.

I had written a very easy step-by-step guide of how to root and flash Android 2.2 Froyo on your Droid Eris (my tutorial flashes KaosFroyo) at my blog. The full article can be viewed at http://jonsuh.com/2010/09/run-froyo-android-2-2-on-your-droid-eris-how-to/

Root
Rooting your phone gives you the ability to make unofficial software and firmware changes to your phone, giving you the ability to hack your phone to improve stability and performance. jcase at XDA was kind enough to take the once complicated method of rooting and simplifying it with with his Universal 1 Click Eris Root App Apk.

1. Download and install the APK at http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8699733/erisone010.apk on your phone.
    (Be generous and donate to a good charity after using jcase’s app)
  2. Open the program, read the disclaimer, and if you’re ready to root, click “I agree, Root Me.”
  3. Once your phone reboots, shut down your phone.
  4. Power up your phone by holding down the Volume Up button and pressing Power to reboot into recovery mode.
    (If Volume Up + Power does not work for you, try Volume Down + Power and when prompted to do so in the HBOOT screen, select “Recovery” by pressing Volume Up)
  5. Scroll and press trackball to select “Flash zip from sdcard.”
  6. Scroll and press trackball to select “rootme.zip.”
  7. Scroll and press trackball to select “Reboot system” once the rootme.zip has been successfully flashed.
  8. Once your phone has powered back up, go to Settings and turn on USB Debugging.
  9. Uninstall the Eris Rooter app.
Froyo (Android 2.2)
The next step is to get a Froyo ROM and flash it, replacing your current firmware. There are handful of Froyo ROMS out there, but the one I currently use and recommend is KaosFroyo, the mixed Cyanogen/AOSP Froyo build.

1. Check for the latest versions at {ROM}Kaos FroYo @ XDA-developers.
    (Thank Kaos by donating to his “coffee fund.”)
    *Warning: Do not download .zip files you will be flashing using the Safari browser or unzip/extract the files (it tends to break the signature, causing you to be unable to flash the file). My recommendation is Firefox or Internet Explorer and save the .zip file.
  2. Connect your phone to your computer with a USB cable, and mount your phone to your computer when the dialog pops up.
  3. Copy the .zip file you just downloaded to your phone (should show up as SDCARD on your computer unless you changed its name once before) in the root/base directory (not in a folder).
  4. Shut down your phone.
  5. Power up your phone by holding down the Volume Up button and pressing Power to boot into recovery mode (like you did earlier when you were rooting your phone).
    (If Volume Up + Power does not work for you, try Volume Down + Power and when prompted to do so in the HBOOT screen, select “Recovery” by pressing Volume Up)
  6. A full wipe is recommended, especially when you’re replacing the stock firmware or a different ROM.
    (KaosFroyo may not function properly if you do not perform a full wipe before installing)
    Yes, I want to perform a full wipe.
    • Scroll and press trackball to select “Wipe.”
    • Perform both a “data/factory reset” and a “Dalvik-cache” wipe by selecting the options by scrolling and pressing the trackball.
    No, I don’t want to perform a full wipe – Skip to Step 7.
  7. Scroll and press trackball to select “Flash zip from sdcard.”
  8. Scroll and press trackball to select the name of the .zip file you copied to your phone. (This may take a few minutes)
  9. Scroll and press trackball to select “Reboot system” once the rootme.zip has been successfully flashed. (Your phone may take a few to several minutes to initially start up. You may even experience some lag at the initial boot, but it will get faster)
Improve your phone even more
Android 2.2 itself makes the phone much faster than you would remember Stock 2.1 to be. However, there are many tweaks and custom apps you can run to make your phone even faster, more stable, and increase its battery life!
Read “Make Your Droid Eris Faster & Smoother, and Increase Battery Life!

Article has been said to help tons of people over at the XDA forums and other Droid Eris forums, and I wanted to share it as well with the community here :)

I hope this makes it easier for you all.

Last edited by a moderator:

tiggerxplur

Reaction score
does the rootme.zip come from the apk if not where can i download it havent rooted the eris beofre so this is kinda a new world to me when finding stuff for it

Smokie

Reaction score
this guide is awesome.. thank you for taking the time to put it together.

powerhouselb

Reaction score
I've read that the HTC phones (I have the Eris) have issues with rooting. I've also heard that the one button root tools aren't very reliable. Is the same true with this root? If anything goes wrong is it fairly easy to unroot the Eris? Also, is it necessary to format the SD card first? Will the SD card get wipped clean when the phone gets rooted?

Last edited:

tiggerxplur

Reaction score
I've read that the HTC phones (I have the Eris) have issues with rooting. I've also heard that the one button root tools aren't very reliable. Is the same true with this root? If anything goes wrong is it fairly easy to unroot the Eris? Also, is it necessary to format the SD card first? Will the SD card get wipped clean when the phone gets rooted?

i almost think this was easier than the one click root for the droid

and the answer to my question was yes it comes from the .apk

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
FroYo ROMs are still buggy, but the Eris was never meant to have FroYo. I put planejanet2 on my wifes phone, and for the most part, it has been fine. Look at the 2.2 threads, most have issues with dropped calls, and camera issues. Pick your poison, if you want 2.2, then expect more issues than with 2.1.

powerhouselb

Reaction score
Well, last night I took a deep breath and rooted my phone to KaosFroyo v37. Not bad at all. After some ussage, what ever minor buggy actions it had went away. Not really noticing anything else wrong with it, save that Angry Birds level doesn't seem to render all the way. Either the game was designed with green grass atop snow-white ground or the image isn't there.
One of the performance improvements I've noticed was that my videos are in sync with it's audio track now. Before Froyo, most of my videos were out of sync with audio by about a second, maybe a touch less.
Still, I'm glad I went with this. It seems real nice.

Last edited:

JUMBOpin

Reaction score
H.e.l.p.!!

for the life of me i put the .apk file on my sd card...i can't find it ON my phone...do i have to wipe my SD Card? how do i find it...omg i want rooted so damn bad!

tiggerxplur

Reaction score
for the life of me i put the .apk file on my sd card...i can't find it ON my phone...do i have to wipe my SD Card? how do i find it...omg i want rooted so damn bad!

are you looking for it with a file manager?? cause you need one to install it from your sd card

JUMBOpin

Reaction score
cyanogen/froyo mod

do you know a cyanogen/ froyo mod that is awesome...a guy on youtube had a sick mod...i'm such a noob

redgreenc

Reaction score
I have rooted, and now am trying to to the froyo portion, but when I connect my phone via the usb port on my computer, the computer does not do anything. My light on my eris comes on like it's charging, and I changed the connection options to the 'htc sense' so my computer will recognize it. Is there something else that I need to be doing??

JUMBOpin

Reaction score
I have rooted, and now am trying to to the froyo portion, but when I connect my phone via the usb port on my computer, the computer does not do anything. My light on my eris comes on like it's charging, and I changed the connection options to the 'htc sense' so my computer will recognize it. Is there something else that I need to be doing??

the usb cable that is in the bottom of the phone is very sensitive to movements...set it on a super flat surface...it WILL work...dont give up...i put the froyo/ cyanogenicMOD on my Eris...it is so damn good...a completely different phone now! amazzzzzzzing

powerhouselb

Reaction score
You have to go through recovery mode to find it. the same steps you took to root your phone is the same steps you take to flash Froyo. I hope that helps.
So far, KaosFroyo works great. Once in a while, after viewing a video, when I go back to the gallery, I get a weird interlace effect. However, switching the orientation sets it right again. Lovin' my phone. I'm considering not bothering with my phone upgrade. Eris is doin' me just fine now.

Status
Not open for further replies.