Eris Newbie Has Questions...

Padawan

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just bought an Eris and have some questions.

1. When I receive a text or picture message, how do I configure the phone to alert me of said message when the phone is in sleep mode? The phone alerts me to an incoming call and gives me the opportunity to answer said call but it doesn't seem to alert me of text or pic messages until I bring the phone out of sleep.

2. Speaking of sleep mode, am I correct in assuming that pressing the red button at the bottom of the phone puts the phone to sleep (the screen goes blank)?

3. I used my old phone as my alarm clock. At night before going to bed, I could set my old phone to silence ALL sound EXCEPT for the alarm clock. Is this possible with the Eris?

4. On my Verizon account, I have complete caller ID block. To allow my friends to see my number on their caller ID when I call them, I added the *82 prefix to all my phone book entries. Because of the *82 in the phone book entry, my Eris says I have an invalid entry when I try pick a number in my phone book to send a text or picture message. My old phone would allow me to remove the *82 portion of the recipient number after choosing it in the message composition screen. I can't seem to find a way to do this with the Eris. Is this possible? Can I somehow separate the number used when calling someone from the number used to send a text or picture message (ie, ONLY the number used to call someone has the *82 prefix)?

5. On the demo Eris at the Verizon store, there were a couple of apps (?) on the home screen that made it very easy to turn WiFi or BlueTooth on and off by simply tapping the app (the app icon looked like an on/off switch). Where can I get those?

6. I have seen different answers for this but can the Eris be configured for Yahoo email? Some have said yes, some have said yes only if you have a premium Yahoo email account, others have said no, and someone said that it cannot be done currently because Yahoo was upgrading their email servers. Anyone have a definite answer?

7. iTunes support?

Sorry for the grocery list of questions, but I am brand new to the Eris (and smart phones in general (had a Motorola RAZR previously)).

Padawan Jon :droideris:

Last edited: